Make a donation

Author Topic: oil pump chain snapped  (Read 1800 times)

Offline jims13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
oil pump chain snapped
« on: April 30, 2022, 08:19:52 pm »
HI All,

so new to the forum.
brought mk5 gti BWA a few weeks ago.
it need the cam chain and tensioner doing which i did.
i also ordered at the same time the bits for the oil pump chain, tensioner etc as ive seen they are pants.
 Turns out that although i had no issue, on the way to work i heard a tap tap tap, from the botttom end.
sowing machine like, oil light came on.
 being on a busy road, i coasted as far as could.
went to pull away from a set of lights (onto a side road so i could switch it off) , and the noise of death happened.

got the car home. sump off and as i suspected, chain broken and the smaller cog in bits.

problem i'm currently having is that it wont allow me to time to TDC.
 would/does the chain failing cause the cams to jump ???

i guess i've likely answered my own question??

if so thats 3k down the drain.  :sad1:

thx Jim.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
Re: oil pump chain snapped
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 12:18:20 am »
Balancer shafts have seized.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 03:41:44 pm »
That sucks man, it not being able to turn to TDC is a bad sign, but I wouldn't know why that's happening if only the oil pump chain snapped (unless the engine has seized of course). What's the mileage on the engine?

If you're willing to check the cam chain is still intact and tensioned, I'd go for that. And of course the timing belt too. Try figure out why it won't manually rotate if you can. If it does rotate and everything is still correctly timed (bar the oil pump of course) you could give something like this a shot. This is provided the cog that has broken into pieces is the chunky looking balance shaft sprocket.

It's likely, as Pudding mentioned before me, that it's the balance shaft seizing that has caused the issue. To save yourself some money you could just delete the balance shaft altogether with the kit I linked above. This will cause the engine to be a bit more shaky but it's a cheap solution and from what I heard it makes the oil pump less likely to fail in the future.

Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to recommend doing anything beyond that.

If you're certain the engine can't be saved, you'll have to decide if you want to sell it without a functioning engine or spend roughly the same amount of money you payed for the car for a used replacement engine inc. labour.

I got low oil pressure on my VRS literally the day after I bought it, after paying roughly the same for the car that you did (€3200), so I know how you must feel. Hopefully you can find a solution that isn't too expensive.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 80
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 06:16:42 pm »
The balance shaft assembly is part of the oil pump.
When the balance shafts seized, it snapped the chain.
Once the chain snapped, there was nothing driving the oil pump and no oil getting around the engine.
I am sorry, but it is very likely your engine is completely seized.