Make a donation

Author Topic: Judder..  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
Judder..
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »
As most will know that I spoke to at the meet on sat, my mr gordon has a judder at 2000 revs.. I was also having problems with loss of power (which made me drive a bit more cautiously and be over taken by Fox's..  :ashamed:) ... But it went straight in our workshop and had ignition switch replaced, for problem with loss of power, and also a ecu update done for judder..

Although after run at weekend everything seems to be better on the loss of power front, youll be happy to know my Fox's over took me (nothing to do with I didnt see any, but hey!  :P) , he's still juddering..
After Mark had a look at ot on sat and recomended guys look at mass meter I got it booked straight in..

Now for the unhappy customer after being at the stealers rant.lol..

According to fault finder, theres nothing wrong with my car. Warranty wont pay for anything, cause we cant prove theres anything wrong. Technician says yeah, theres a slight judder and backfire at 2000, but thats it. All theyve been able to do is change the fuel filter thats black!
Iv ordered a diss report be sent to technical about it, so see what happens..
And also taken it upon myself to do my own experiment.. going to start using Shell V Power diesel, as ppl keep telling me too, also got new fuel filter on, so I'm gonna see how it runs fo a week on this fuel and new filter.. and also make note of when it does it, in what gear, etc..

If anyone has any info that may help it would be greatly appreciated.  :smiley:
".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Judder..
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:58:14 pm »
Try another dealer.  :smiley:

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »
haha - difficult when its the one i work at.. and 2nd nearest is york and  i know for a fact that they poo! and hull too!

may wait for my next trip down south and take a trip to vw racing...  :confused:
".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 11:11:14 pm »
thats a good call, some dealers really have lost sense of any mechanical skill.

its the "computer says no" syndrome ruining everything!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:21:57 pm »
haha - difficult when its the one i work at.. and 2nd nearest is york and  i know for a fact that they poo! and hull too!

may wait for my next trip down south and take a trip to vw racing...  :confused:

I reckon its your only option Caz, if your dealer is saying there is nothing wrong and you clearly know there is, then what else can you do.
Try a different franchise.  :happy2:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:50:19 am »
Disconnect the MAF and see how it runs, it should default to a 'safe' setting and run a little better... better still, swap the MAF for one off a known good car and see what happens.

That'll rule the MAF out. To be fair they don't throw codes, but you can tell if they're goosed by logging on VCDS.

Other possibilities:

EGR sticking. Usually just clogged up with black gungy oil that has been blown through from the PCV. The butterfly valve locks off restricting boost and causes hiccups.

Boost pipes. Check them for splits. Pull the couplers to ensure the O-rings are good and the spring clips are good. They locate onto something I can only describe as ears on the couplers, these are made from really crap aluminium and the spring clip can eat into them, causing the pipes to pull from the female end under boost. A PSSSHHHHHHHHHHing noise under load will hint to this. Again, no codes but can be found from logging.

Actuator. The thing that opens the vanes on the VNT mechanism of the turbo, if it's sticking, then you won't be getting full boost. Some good hi temp lube and 1/2 hours worth of manipulating can free things up. Check for splits/disconnected pipes feeding it too. VCDS has a auto check proceedure.

I'd also run a few bottles of Forte Diesel Treatment through it too, magic stuff!
Sideways yo!