Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil filler cap problem  (Read 1719 times)

MPS

Oil filler cap problem
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »
Hi

I've got a bit of a dumb-ass problem with my oil filler cap. Its only a minor niggle but it annoys me everytime I open the bonnet!

Basically when you screw the cap on it ends up 90 degrees out when home, i.e. the oil can logo is pointing front to back rather than side to side as it should be? Very odd? I think the previous owner must have been dicking about with it. Any suggestions?

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: Oil filler cap problem
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:18 pm »
Think they are all like that. There is a mod you can do to correct it so that the badge goes the correct way, though i'm not sure how.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »
The top half where the logo is pulls apart from the screw bit on the bottom. Simply use a screwdriver to seperate the two, turn the top 90 degrees and place back on lower section. It simply clips back together and job done.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

MPS

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
The top half where the logo is pulls apart from the screw bit on the bottom. Simply use a screwdriver to seperate the two, turn the top 90 degrees and place back on lower section. It simply clips back together and job done.

Thanks, I'll give this a try tomorrow! Makes you wonder why it was changed in the first place?

MPS

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »
Sorted this today, just gently prised the top section off, noted where the 4 notches were and re-aligned. It is no longer offending my OCD.  :laugh: Thanks for your help. :happy2:

Matt

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »
Glad its sorted for you as it would bug me having the oil cap pointing the wrong direction
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »
Hi

I've got a bit of a dumb-ass problem with my oil filler cap. Its only a minor niggle but it annoys me everytime I open the bonnet!

Basically when you screw the cap on it ends up 90 degrees out when home, i.e. the oil can logo is pointing front to back rather than side to side as it should be? Very odd? I think the previous owner must have been dicking about with it. Any suggestions?

this happened to me after i had taken the car in for a service. Bugged me for ages. One day, went to unscrew the cap and the upper half came off and i was able to re-position it.
After a couple of days, it dawned on me that now that the cap has been split, has it weakened them and what if i need to top up the oil in a desperate situation and the top had fallen off (read a post where indeed, someones had) and i didnt have the means to get the cap off without the handle!!

So, in the end, for the sake of £8, for the peace of mind, i got a new one - the handle sits at a perfect 180 degrees and i know it wont break when i need it most!

Rich

MPS

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:36:38 pm »
Hi

this happened to me after i had taken the car in for a service. Bugged me for ages. One day, went to unscrew the cap and the upper half came off and i was able to re-position it.
After a couple of days, it dawned on me that now that the cap has been split, has it weakened them and what if i need to top up the oil in a desperate situation and the top had fallen off (read a post where indeed, someones had) and i didnt have the means to get the cap off without the handle!!

So, in the end, for the sake of £8, for the peace of mind, i got a new one - the handle sits at a perfect 180 degrees and i know it wont break when i need it most!

Rich

Makes you wonder how heavy handed the chimp mechanics can be if they can pop the top off when unscrewing it!