Make a donation

Author Topic: alloy confusion  (Read 1633 times)

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
alloy confusion
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:26:38 pm »
ok i have been looking and looking till i,m crosseyed

is it snob value personal preference and/or vw fittings/sizes etc why lots of bbs are used/prefferred?

we have the bbs ch/rs-gt
and i have just seen some autoart vy1's on vwvortex which (excuse the blasphemy)look very similar

and i also really like the dotz mugello
and the ssw mech2
and also the inovit dtm's
and now the devil riviera

again numpty newbie dumbness but what diffenrences are there?
let the flaming begin :fighting:

matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: alloy confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:39:08 pm »
PCD and offset rule, MKV's are a pig of a fitment!

Looks - This is mainly down to classic, understated styles being preferred by the VAG community, certain makes of wheels fit that mould.. but I don't think it's either written in stone or frowned upon to deviate.

Fill yer boots and get what you want  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:06:31 pm »
BBS have a long history of making wheels that look good on Golfs. VW have often used them for OEM parts and most importantly they are a bona fide motorsport alloy wheel maker so their designs are very strong as well as good looking.
Just like Golfs, BBS wheels are usually a bit conservatively styled too so they are easy to match up style wise.

The BBS CH has been a very popular fitment on the mk5 since the mk5 was launched so there is added history in that too. The two styles just sit really well together.

VW also market the Golf as slightly upmarket and thus cheap stuff does tend to look cheap on them, but at the end of the day there are many other wheel manufacturers out there who make very good quality stuff that also looks good on Golfs, and some reps are half decent quality too.
You need to sit and think long and hard about what looks right and what doesn't before parting with your cash as it will be painful on the eyes and wallet if you make a mistake!!! Photos and the internet are a massive help but you can't beat going to shows and stuff to actually see the things in the flesh as photos can be misleading. At the end of the day it's a personal decision though and I'd be the last person to give advice on style as I'm old and fussy!!!
Andy
7R

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 11:14:24 am »
big fanx for all the advice.
it will be awhile before that item hits top of list but nice to dream!

thank you very muchly for the time to reply
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"