Make a donation

Author Topic: Any electricians on here? Little help needed please.  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Any electricians on here? Little help needed please.
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:01:38 pm »
I'm in need of a little help with some 2 way lighting. Basically the GF came home the other night and a bulb blew which killed the transformer in the dimmer switch I have on one side of the living room. It has done this a couple of times so I have changed it for a normal 2 gang 2 way switch.

I made a not of the old cable locations. Front living room lights: L1 Red & Yellow, L2 Red & Blue, Common Red. Back room lights L1 Brown & Blue, L2 Red & Yellow, Common Blue but marked as Brown.

I have swapped them over but with abit of jigging about to get them to work as they should. Fronts work OK now and the backs work on and off on the separate switches but if you turn one on then go to the other to turn them off they just stay on. Its probably just a wire in the wrong place but I can't suss it.

Heres a couple of pics to help with what I've got. Thanks in advance  :happy2:

Replacement swtich - Was the dimmer.

Bottom of the stair.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
Re: Any electricians on here? Little help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »
I think the brown is the feed and the blue that is labeled as brown is the switch wire, put the red of the 3 core in L1 and the blue labeled as brown in with the yellow in L3. Basically swap the red thats in L3 with the blue labeled as brown in L1.

Your 3 core should be red L1, Yellow L2 and blue L3 (your blue and yellow can be the other way round aslong as its the same at the other switch) Feed in L2 with yellow and switch wire in L3 with blue or vice versa.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:06:57 pm by RobH »

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »
.....then turn left at the roundabout, over the bridge, continue for 200 yards and turn right at the crossroads  :laugh:

witchcraft i tell thee

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:10:30 pm »
 :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:39 pm »
Looks to me as if the red that with the yellow needs to be swapped with te blue with the brown sleeving. As long as the cores on the 3 core cable (red, yellow, blue) are in the same terminal at either end, i.e red in L1 at both ends etc, and on the 2 core ( brown and blue sleeved brown) has one core in L2 and one core in L3 it will all work.

Every spark has his own way of putting them, I generally have yellow as common (or L1) and then the red in L2 and blue in L3 but as said above as long as all the cores match at both ends then it'll be fine

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:49:44 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Will have another go tomorrow once its light  :happy2:

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
I think the brown is the feed and the blue that is labeled as brown is the switch wire, put the red of the 3 core in L1 and the blue labeled as brown in with the yellow in L3. Basically swap the red thats in L3 with the blue labeled as brown in L1.

Your 3 core should be red L1, Yellow L2 and blue L3 (your blue and yellow can be the other way round aslong as its the same at the other switch) Feed in L2 with yellow and switch wire in L3 with blue or vice versa.

Tried it this way and it worked. Many thanks  :happy2: