Make a donation

Author Topic: Picked up my Edition 30 today - need some advice  (Read 7799 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Re: Picked up my Edition 30 today - need some advice
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:45 am »
thats correct 20,000.

You'll know if you have done damaged already as you'll hear the bottom end rattle to f*ck when revving.

Its not good seeing the oil light come on though!

Cowboys!!

Ive always followed the rule that the GTI shouldn't be on LL servicing (as a rule of thumb) - if Billys car done 13,500 in 2 years, say 7k a year, shouldnt it have been on T&D instead?

Rich

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 11:20:52 am »
And this is why more and more people are shunning VW and buying from the likes of BMW / Audi (not any better at all) and especially Honda.
Customer service from VW is very poor indeed.
For a "premium brand" the service we put up with in the VW UK network is nothing less than shocking. :fighting2:

I hope you get satisfactory closure, but knowing VW it may well be protracted and time consuming.
Rant over

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 11:26:55 am »
I'm a vengeful sort of fella - I'd have run it dry, let the engine seize and then make them refund me. ("I don't know much about cars, I assumed the oil level would be fine because it's an Approved Used car"). Then I'd make them tow it back to whichever sh*t dealership you bought it from and get them to pay me for my inconvenience and travel costs, taking the legal route if necessary.

This is totally unacceptable. I would take it up with VW UK. They clearly haven't done the checks they said they did, and lying about the service history is inexcusable.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:29:58 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »
I would drive it back to them and throw them the keys then go buy a car privately for way cheaper ..atleast you know what to expect.

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »
Buying a car should be a pleasent and enjoyable experience , not hasstle or things going wrong on the way home.

If i was you i would see if you can contact the lasst owner and ask them about how the car was run , also asking them if it had a thirst for oil?

TBH as people have said the engine could have been damaged or you may have been lucky that it was just a one off.

i think i would play this either 1 of 2 ways

1. phone the dealer reject the car , tell them that its on the drive way waiting them to collect it and give you a full refund , tell them you refuse to drive it because its using oil and you dont want to breakdown on the way to the dealers.

2. phone the dealers and tell them you want an extended warranrty and the incident of lack of oil recorded and any failures associated with lack of oil covered and to be repaired free of charge at a dealer of your choice , oh and a free next service of course.

tbh if it was me i would reject the car and start the process all over again , trust me you will be looking for all sorts of noises now knowing it had no oil in it and you just wont enjoy it.
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 01:56:26 pm »
Got to agree, if it was me it would get rejected, buy yourself a private car and get yourself a warranty and still likely save over £1500
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Billy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 9
  • I was born a while ago and I'm not dead yet.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »
The dealer has offered to pay for an oil & filter change at my local VW dealer and an inspection of the car.

I'm going to get that done asap and see what the outcome from that is. I'll still be within my 1000 miles / 30 day returns period so will have that as a fallback.

They have apologised profusely for the oil light coming on and say it must have just been "an oversight" on the part of their service department.

I'll let you all know how it pans out...

Saintsteve

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 02:18:22 pm »
Billy, can i ask, how much oil did you have to put in it to return it to the Max mark??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:23:27 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »
The dealer has offered to pay for an oil & filter change at my local VW dealer and an inspection of the car.

I'd be wary of how detailed the inspection is - are they willing to strip down the engine block to inspect the components with a fine toothed comb? im not so confident that an inspection (by the dealers) would be detailed thorough enough to identify any unseen damage that may have been caused...

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
Some of the things i read on here about stealers takes the mick, but this has to be one of the best yet. Well, this just goes to show that even buying form stealers is not a safe option. They bum you when buying, servicing, warranty. They just take the p1ss mate. To have no oil in is unexcuseable. The car should have been fully checked over before handing over the keys, it makes you wonder if they have done any checks at all. Tbh where ever you buy a car from there are certain checks you can do your self and this should have been one of them but then i guess when you buy from a stealer you would expect all to be ok. I guess you paid a pretty penny for the car mate so you'd at least expect there to be some freakin oil in it. If i was you i would go to the highest level with this and see what you can eek out of the b'stards. Anything could have happened from engine seizure to turbo failure, head gasket failure the list goes on. As others have said, i would take it to your nearest garage let them sort it, do ask for all the nessesary checks to be done and get them to send them the bill.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 02:51:03 pm »
I personally would not accept the free service offer as the inspection will be a visual and there is no cost involved for this. My local dealers invited me in when i collected mine from another dealers to make sure everything was ok, then gave me a report. The other issue that would concern me is the gap of two years between service.

Ive been very lucky in finding my mint eddie that has been serviced on T&D with LL oil each time regardless of the miles. My car even has history of the drivers seat & armrest being changed due to the stiching becoming loose.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:42 pm »
I would refuse the offer and return the car

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:41 pm »
If your going down that road i'd get them to collect it. Why waste anymore of your own precious time?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »
Presumably the car did not show the warning light when you test drove it, and it's unlikely to have done many miles when under the ownership of the garage?

I'd also presume that the oil light coming on doesn't mean it has absolutely no oil in the car.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 03:11:32 pm »
If your going down that road i'd get them to collect it. Why waste anymore of your own precious time?
just think face to face conversation is always better than over the phone but i know what you mean Gaz :happy2: