Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG questions  (Read 12891 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: DSG questions
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 02:20:13 pm »

Didn't know how old you were RR, but guessing ~ 55 to 60  (don't know if you started driving off road before your license)
In my mind you were at least 2 decades +++ younger  :surprised:

I know I feel like an old(ish) man in a young mans car.  Everyone else I see in one looks like there are in their 20's

....I'm 62 but I don't mind growing old just as long as I don't have to grow up!

TC pointed out that my first ever track experience was this year on The Ring at 62 :laugh:

The downside is though that I'm now divorced and the only ladies I fancy seem to be in their 30's.

:drinking:

Anyway, back on the subject of DSG................

Just Think Manual and who cares if you aren't using your left foot.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:21:58 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:38 pm »
Hats off to you

in the nicest possible way, you act and sound like someone in their 20's.  The way to go!!!  isn't 60's the new 30's  :wink:

Many of us on here could learn a lot from you.

BTW -

Advanced driving @ 25
Motorbike License @ 29
my first track session was @ 29 - Motorbike race school
Now I try to do a track day (on the bike or in the old KN) at least once a year.

The Ring was 2 years ago on the Ducati - not so enjoyable way to many other on the track doing all sorts of speeds and all sorts of abilities.  Came away wanting to go again but thinking I was lucky to be in one piece.

Happy motoring, looking forward to the day I meet you.  :happy2:
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 05:32:28 pm »
^^^^
Ducati's and Harley's are my favourite bikes :notworthy:

Bikes seem to go off the road more often than cars on The Ring but there's all sorts of abilities driving the cars too - Hence the insurance difficulties. I'm actually much more concerned about other drivers (both bikes and cars) than the Nordschleife itself. Going there again in a few weeks.

Look forward to meeting you one day too  :happy2:
Meanwhile Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kinbin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • "Go-getter kid-at-heart with a need for speed"
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 02:08:17 am »
Hate going out, with the wife driving.  Never a constant throttle position, just on off on off, and then touch the brakes, for no reason.
Good job I don't get car sick, 'cos I feel like a nodding dog when sat in the passenger seat  :grin:
And never ever try to suggest her driving could be smoother.  Instant castration.

Perhaps a lower performance car for her next time.

@nc35
Wifeys don't take to driving like we do. We drive for the *rush* and *kick*, they drive as a utility. Concur on keeping my gap shut. Gotten chewed by her on more than one occasion, and felt it no different from a pitbull chew.

And my take is to continue to keep a high performance car for her. That way, folks who drive alongside her car and behind her car will stay back to enjoy the view, not knowing if and when the car will 'take off'. Reduces the risk of unwanted knocks.

BTW, keep the windows on high tint if its only the car that you want folks to admire, stay clear, and dream about.   :grin:

The Mental Image And Feel Of My GTI; BQM-167 Skeeter Drone - Dodging Low Level Supersonic Jets @99.5% Survivability, Mach 0.95

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 08:26:30 am »
Well it there is a bit more to think about :-(

Idiots cut her up want to race her etc etc
We have actually taken the GTi badge off - still looks like one though.

Sad I know but we take keys to bed incase the house is broken into.
Started when we got the Porsche.

So in reality the thing is a bit of a liability. You can't have anything nice anymore 'cos someone will make you pay.

Well million miles away from original thread sorry everyone

Going up to the Lakes today, will put DSG in M and try go fall in love with the box.

Sorry for the rant

Well rear windows are tinted as standard
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 05:41:21 pm »
Well it there is a bit more to think about :-(

Idiots cut her up want to race her etc etc
We have actually taken the GTi badge off - still looks like one though.

Sad I know but we take keys to bed incase the house is broken into.
Started when we got the Porsche.

So in reality the thing is a bit of a liability. You can't have anything nice anymore 'cos someone will make you pay.

Well million miles away from original thread sorry everyone

Going up to the Lakes today, will put DSG in M and try go fall in love with the box.

Sorry for the rant

Well rear windows are tinted as standard

this isn't too good of a idea, one of my clients scared away people that broke into their house twice (they were after keys to the 911 turbo and r8) they came back next time with a shot gun. They decided to just leave the keys in view this time as it was getting dangerous (they have kids) and its a good job too!, they had trackers on the car anyway and they were found.

bit of a downer of a reply i know!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 06:40:09 pm »
Sh1t world we live in, well think England has gone to the dogs.
Australia looks more & more promising.

Really off topic now, local police said unlikely underirables will venture upstairs.
Soft dog barking will put most off. Little does anyone know all she wants is a tummy rub :signLOL:
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2009, 07:15:18 pm »
Hi ppl. You may have seen my first posts on the wanted section - i'm looking for an Ed 30. Up until today it had to be a manual. However, I've just driven a red Ed 30 at my local VW garage this aft wit a DSG box. It was different, fun and I liked it...alot.
Questions:-
1) Does the novelty wear off?
2) Have any owners who have had DSG gone back to manual and why?
3) Apparently i've just on here that the clutch(es) last the lifetime of the car - can anything else go wrong with DSG? Someone has mentioned to me £600 for a control unit?
4) Are there any additional servicing costs with DSG?
5) Is remapping an aftermarket jobbie or something VW do/did?
6) Does the Edition 30 have the latest technology DSG box?
7) In the real world, is fuel consumption really better than a manual?
8) I assume the DSG box was an optional extra, if so how much?

Cheers - Phil
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2009, 07:23:04 pm »
All except question 4, the answers no. :signLOL:
There is a 7 speed dsg  box out, but as yet not fitted to the GTi in any mark.
DSG was about £1500 extra approx

Service cost of dsg isnt very big, every 40k or 4 years IFAIK.(i could be wrong ( more then likely )  £80 ish for servicing.

:popcornsoda:

Love DSG, and would not go back to manual.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »
I've just been lucky enough to have a manual and a DSG at the same time and although this will upset the Auto boys it's manual all the way for me!  :happy2:

Can't be beaten in traffic etc but for sheer driving pleasure it has to be manual for me!  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2009, 07:40:01 pm »

As with just about everything to do with cars, we're each going to have our own preferences.

What I immediately noticed in your post was: "It was different, fun and I liked it...alot" - That tells me that you naturally took to it and are likely to grow to like it more and more.

Don't think of it as an 'Auto' box but think of it as a Manual with some very clever and useful features - It's the best of both worlds - You can drive totally in Manual and pop into Auto for traffic jam queues or villages/towns etc. To answer your questions : -

1) Does the novelty wear off?
- Not if you enjoy it. It gets better and better as it all becomes fluid and natural.

2) Have any owners who have had DSG gone back to manual and why?
- I know of a couple but they started off not being prepared to learn all its different combinations and benefits.

3) Apparently i've just on here that the clutch(es) last the lifetime of the car - can anything else go wrong with DSG? Someone has mentioned to me £600 for a control unit?
- Things can go wrong whether Manual or DSG. The clutches are better protected from driver misuse in the DSG.

4) Are there any additional servicing costs with DSG?
- If your car is modified, it's good practice to change the DSG oil and filter more regularly.

5) Is remapping an aftermarket jobbie or something VW do/did?
- Aftermarket. Makes it even more like a Manual to use.

6) Does the Edition 30 have the latest technology DSG box?
- No, the Mk6 and bigger Audi's now have 7-speed. I've driven both Mk6 GTI and latest S4 and honestly didn't notice any difference - You still shift a gear whenever you want/need to.

7) In the real world, is fuel consumption really better than a manual?
- I don't think so. It's all down to your driving style - I use the gears a lot and never get over 30 mpg.

Hope This Helps :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:44:20 pm by RedRobin »

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2009, 08:07:11 pm »
Eeek

RR is correct, we all have our preferences.

But, not sure I would buy another DSG. Really tempted to get the box remapped to see if it's any better.
A DSG in auto feels like a very lazy GTI always being a gear higher that you would normally be in or a normal auto would be in. The box changes down under acceleration. This is probably how it gets better fuel consumption. 
In S mode the car is a gear lower than you would normally be in. Red lines under any acceleration.

In manual, a manual box is more engaging.

Don't get me wrong. Test drove a few DSGs and manuals and manual was my car of choice.
But I said I wouldn't let a DSG put me of the right car (and it didn't). Huge contradiction but that's how close they are.
BTW had auto boxes for soooo many years, hence a difficult decision for me at the time.

if you want an auto it won't dissapoint. If you want to drive it like a manual (as I think RR does) I would get a manual.

Hope this helps a little. Just my 2p  :smiley: 

No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2009, 08:29:40 pm »
^^^^
Yes, nc35 is right - I now drive it like a Manual as soon as I'm out of a 30 or 40 mph zone. But I'll sometimes use S to negotiate a very busy roundabout or to accelerate very fast from a lay-by back onto a fast A-road or dual carriageway (for example).

The great thing is being able to mix and match whichever mode you think best suits the circumstances of the moment.

If you stay in D all the time you'll find it won't necessarily shift exactly when you want. It's pretty good but not as good as manually selecting the gear you want. Very nice to pop down 2 gears at once too!

I wish that the company I'm testing their DSG remap for would launch it so I can talk more freely about it. But I'll dare to say that it works even better on a K04 car.

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »
DSG rulez! no seriously i never ever thought that i would even consider an automatic but i love it. yes the feul consumption is better and it changes gear in a split second much faster than manual and you can drive at good speeds while changing gears and still holing the steering wheel with two hands, its a very comfortable , quick and safe way to change gears  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »
I've driven a few DSG cars, awesomes demo, toms S3 and me dads TDi and do think its a brilliant bit of kit, its deffo quicker of the line, would I buy 1 before a manual, we'll see next time I get a new motor :laugh: