Make a donation

Author Topic: Cluster fault - again :/  (Read 2458 times)

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Cluster fault - again :/
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:55:10 pm »
Ok,
I have been on here before showing the "dimming" cluster where the instrument panel cluster in the centre of the dash, for some reason decides to dim, them bounce back to full illumination.....others on here have had the same, even instances of it fading out all together, then reappear soon after.

Well this evening on my way home this began to flash:

It was pulsing normal, to this every few seconds....

So once I got home and I opened the drivers door with the car still running, to see if the instrument display would change.... but it kept breaking up.

Then reverting back to how it should look for a few seconds....

I even turned the engine off....took the key out and it kept doing it....until the interior lights go off and the cluster goes dark.

I have not checked it (been around 40 minutes in the garage) but WHAT THE FECK IS GOING ON ??  :rolleye: :sad1:

I thought it might be doing it in sync with the auto wipers at first, but it did it with them turned off.
No other screen (the stereo) does this...all ok.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:56:44 pm by AdeMcG »

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Cluster fault - again :/
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:59:31 pm »
could very well be a faulty cluster mate, get a code read done and see if there is anything stored in the cluster
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »
could very well be a faulty cluster mate, get a code read done and see if there is anything stored in the cluster
Does this mean a trip to the stealer ?   :scared:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
yes unless you know anyone who can code read/program a cluster, where abouts are you mate?
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:12 pm »
yes unless you know anyone who can code read/program a cluster, where abouts are you mate?
I am in Warrington, Cheshire (inbetween Liverpool & Manchester)

sigh......not optomistic about this....Had the car since 20th August (6 months to this very week) and I have had:

A Breakdown within first 15 days - wire to Air flow meter / ECU- Replaced £350 (finally claimed my money back) from VW warranty UK
All 4 injectors replaced - Piezo fault...before VOSA made VW do the right thing and recall. (luckily a £3500 bill dodged ) :innocent:

All I need now is rust on the wheel arches and some unknown knocking noise and I will have had the lot ! :rolleye:

hmmmmmmm I miss my MK4 :sad1:

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:28:29 pm »
just been out to the car...inserted key into ignition, fired it up....all back to normal. :drinking:

Not complaining...but why is this happening? :confused:

common fault?
loose connection somewhere?

Offline RSam84

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:30:23 pm »
Could just be faulty when it gets warm?

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:45 am »
I have seen odd things happen with Skoda Octavia clusters and it turns out to be the connectors have worked loose for the LCD on the main board.

Simple fix - Cluster out, carefullly open it up and push all connectors fully home.  Be carefull though and you'll need VCDS to clear faults after.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
Well, I did the same journey (in reverse - e.g. to work) today and nothing strange happened at all.
IT seems a little bit random....but until it becomes permanent I aint going to worry too much about it.

I an not equipped to remove the cluster (mechanically not strong) and I am sure I would break more than I would be fixing  :rolleye:

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:43:24 am »
if your car's in warranty and/or your car came with this cluster from the factory take it straight into the dealership and get them to replace the instrument cluster for you immediately...it might take them a while to do it but if its NOT a retrofit no point faffing with anything else, they ought to replace it as its not something that should go 'wrong'!

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:23:04 am »
if your car's in warranty and/or your car came with this cluster from the factory take it straight into the dealership and get them to replace the instrument cluster for you immediately...it might take them a while to do it but if its NOT a retrofit no point faffing with anything else, they ought to replace it as its not something that should go 'wrong'!

The car is 5 years old this year (2007 - 07 reg) but I bought it from a Dealer VW approved in August last year....not sure I have much of a leg to stand on really??
 :(

Offline WT007

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »
You will have a 12 month warranty from a dealer

Offline AdeMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:21:58 pm »
You will have a 12 month warranty from a dealer

Phoned VW warranty. they said book it in.

I had it in my local VW dealer today....faulty cluster confirmed, will be replaced under warranty (I bought it VW approved used August 2011) :happy2:

Unfortunately....14day back order on the part, so a little more waiting...but at least I will get it sorted.

One thing the service girl said, which sort of confused me, she said to bring all vehicle Keys when they fit the replacement cluster, as they will need to recode the vehicle keys with the new cluster / module ?? :confused:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »
normal, they have to match all keys to the immo program, glad its gonna be sorted mate :happy2: