Make a donation

Author Topic: Big thanks to APR  (Read 3118 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Big thanks to APR
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:00:24 pm »
Before i start with the topic of this thread i want to make it clear that this does not want to turn into a pissing competition about which tuner/map/hardware/software is best! This thread is purely about me, my car, my choice of provider, the issues i've had and the way the issues have been dealt with. Nothing else is trying to be portrayed and it is purely my personal opinion and experience.

Now that is out the way back on topic.

Since July last year my car has been mapped with APR. I've had REVO in the past on my previous car but, given the experiences i had with them, i decided not to use them this time around. The car had about 2.5k miles on when mapped with APR to ensure no build issues etc and i paid for the map before anyone thinks i got it for free!

After about a month of having the map one day i noticed an odd behaviour on the rev counter. I can't remember why i noticed it as there was no sensation felt. But i was travelling along the motorway and one truck was overtaking another and a car overtaking those. I was doing about 50mph at the time and when the car in front pulled over i put my foot down to accelerate. As i did so the car geared down, the rev counter moved as normal then jumped about 500rpm before hesitating and carrying on. Now i thought it highly unlikely that i would have clutch slip on a DSG box in a new car, from a map that made circa 280lb/ft. So i tried to replicate the issue and i could, i tried it in D, S and Manual mode and it would do the same thing. The jump would vary from about 100-500rpm but there was no sensation of the car holding back when it did it. Initially i thought it was the box matching the rpm for gearing down. But when it did it in M i knew that wasn't the case.

Anyway i went back to APR with the issue and various reasons were flouted as to what it could be. There was suggestions it could be my car as it was only me displaying this issue with the 2.0TSi code. But i believed it was the software and credit to APR they stuck with it. Around about October, due to various reasons and me being busy with work, the issue wasn't followed up for a couple of months. I also hardly drive the car now as i run to work and the wife drives it.

I heard APR were coming to the UK and saw that Keith Lucas had registered on here. So i went straight to the "head honcho" this time and the issue was then taken from there.

At the recent RR day i was able to demonstrate the issue to Keith Lucas who then flashed the car with an updated version of the map. Sadly however this did not stop the issue. The car still drove perfectly and RR'd fine. But me being OCD/Pedantic/Anal (take your pick  :grin:) the issue still bugged me. So i persisted with APR and credit to them they persisted with trying to sort me out.

Today Greg from APR UK came to my house to flash the car with another version of the map. This map is a "High Output" version which apparently has another 30bhp and 40lb/ft. However i will leave that judgement to the Dyno.

I have driven about 170 miles since the map was flashed today and i can no longer replicate the issue. I have tried my damned hardest but it works exactly the same as it does when stock. There is a bit of odd behaviour when in D mode but it does that in stock. There is no sensation in the car, which there wasn't before, other than acceleration and the gear change. I will monitor this now and see if it re-occurs. If it does i will let APR and everyone on here know.

But at the moment i am happy that the car works as intended and the map is now working as intended. At least now i know i haven't got a fcuked DSG box as it would be an expensive item to get fixed as i doubt i could have claimed on the warranty due to the map.

I have written this as i am a firm believer in credit were credit is due. I deliberately never mentioned anything prior as i wanted to give APR every opportunity to sort it out before i pursued other options.

So thanks to APR for sticking with this. It is a welcome change to find that level of customer care. A lot of companies wouldn't have stood by a customers complaint for several months if they were the only person displaying an issue.

:happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Big thanks to APR
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:10 am »
its good to see a big company try thier hardest and sort the issue out and not just blame your car and leave it at tha and say its not the map..also most impressed they came to your house to with the update map now thats excellent service

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:10:58 am »
Good to see new apr have changed as they would always blame the car in the past so good on them for stepping up and sorting out for you.

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:29 am »
I was definately impressed by them. Hopefully it continues to be the norm and not just while they try and get set up in the UK  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:19:05 am »
Good to see new apr have changed as they would always blame the car in the past so good on them for stepping up and sorting out for you.

That's not exclusive them I can assure you.  There is another very well known Tuner with a vast array of remote diagnostic solutions that will normally point squarely at the car being at fault rather than their software.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:09 am »
Just an update. Aprrox 1000 miles in since the new map and it is still going fine. Admittedly i haven't driven the car as much as the wife. :sad1:

But the few long journeys i have done i have tried to get the issue to happen again and it doesn't.

:happy2:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 02:33:49 pm »

Reasuring  :happy2:  Good write up.  As mentioned I hope this level of service continues  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 11:30:12 pm »

The Cupra is with Keith today

He's datalogging, mapping out a dip at the top end and hopefully Dynoing it afterwards  :smiley:

Pick up on Friday afternoon  :party: :party:

Cant wait for the drive home!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:59:32 am »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:20 am »
Does that mean you will make it Sunday

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:04:20 am »

Will see what the bill is like  :scared:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:51 am »

Will see what the bill is like  :scared:

BIG  :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline CupraKris

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »
Can't fault the service at APR they seem commited to the UK market  :congrats:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 05:08:00 am »
Can't fault the service at APR they seem commited to the UK market  :congrats:

+1

Thanks to Keith for your time on my car this week  :happy2: :happy2: