Make a donation

Author Topic: Has anyone got a bike aswell? (and not the push bike variety)  (Read 939 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Has anyone got a bike aswell? (and not the push bike variety)
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:29:09 pm »
Does anyone else ride a motor bike?

Im having a real itch to get a bike (something small maybe a 125 preferably moto) just for the casual activities like popping to town quickly around rush hour etc etc.. They look really convenient to have and from what I gather not much to run. My dad was a keen biker (from scooter to harley to race and last a nice honda hornet 600 with a bit of work done to it)

Realistically, how much am I looking to spend bearing in mind I already have a helmet and clothing.

&

What is the best route to going about it? I know I need to complete my cbt before I can ride a bike but what will insurance be like with just that at 22 but 5 years no claims (hows that for a good start?) I don't want to be paying a huge amount or more than the bike could potentially be worth - Im currently with elephant (£700comp) so might ask if they can do a multi-insurance with the bike and car.

Thanks   :drinking:

Ifti

Re: Has anyone got a bike aswell? (and not the push bike variety)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 03:11:37 pm »
I ordered a Honda PCX125 in Dec. it's finally arrived and I'm picking it up beginning of March (thought I'd wait for the new plates!).
Purchased direct from A Honda dealer.
Bike itself is £2500 new, and also got a rack and box, chain and lock, and a few other bits thrown in ;)

Have my clothing and helmet etc ready, so looking to pick up next Sat! Hopefully the weather will be OK!

Chose this bike as it looks nice, but can do over 100mpg as well as having the stop/start tech etc. so looks pretty good overall.

I simply completed my CBT in Nov last year. The CBT will last for 2 years so you need to redo it every 2 years unless you do the full bike test. I'll probably just do the CBT again as all I want is this scooter, nothing too much more.
CBT cost me £100 I think.

Insurance for me with a car license since 1997 and 5 years no claims etc was £300 fully comp.
Bear in mind I have 6 points on my car license as well! 3 will end this summer, but obviously had to declare them all for the moment.
Third party F&T came to £150, but decided to go fully comp just to be on the safe side, being a new bike and all.

Comes in Black and Grey as well, but I went for white just for the increased visibility on the roads etc.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-PCX125-2010-current/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:13:11 pm by Ifti »

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »
I've had a full bike licence since 1989, so I can't help you with the licencing, but I do have one bit of serious advice.

Contact Bikesafe: http://www.bikesafe-london.co.uk/

Good value (includes a Frankie & Benny lunch!), not patronising, just plain good common sense and you'll learn stuff you can use when you're back in the car.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

h4rdy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »
Not sure you can use No Claims on bike insurance although it might have changed.

What about an Aprilia RS125. Mental Rotax engine and ahem and I do not condone this, you might be able to take the blanking plate off the powervalve hole and fit the powervalve!

But thats illegal and I don't recommend it.

33bhp voila.

Gazman1011

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:50:48 pm »
I have a little Suzuki moroda 125 for about the town riding as its free parking for a bike. I pay £235 a year insurance saves Alot I love my bike and for little trips about town it's top.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:03 am »
Cheers guys,

I think im gunna do my CBT in a few weeks time and take it from there. Insurance I still need to do but can't see it being much!

I've had a full bike licence since 1989, so I can't help you with the licencing, but I do have one bit of serious advice.

Contact Bikesafe: http://www.bikesafe-london.co.uk/

Good value (includes a Frankie & Benny lunch!), not patronising, just plain good common sense and you'll learn stuff you can use when you're back in the car.

Funny enough my dad mentioned this, he never went but said I should do it as im probably gunna use the bike more for going around london / towns than anything so would need some extra advice.

Not sure you can use No Claims on bike insurance although it might have changed.

What about an Aprilia RS125. Mental Rotax engine and ahem and I do not condone this, you might be able to take the blanking plate off the powervalve hole and fit the powervalve!

But thats illegal and I don't recommend it.

33bhp voila.

don't worry, I would never ever modify a verchile (car or bike) to increase its power for safety reasons  :wink: :signLOL:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:48 am »
I ordered a Honda PCX125 in Dec. it's finally arrived and I'm picking it up beginning of March (thought I'd wait for the new plates!).
Purchased direct from A Honda dealer.
Bike itself is £2500 new, and also got a rack and box, chain and lock, and a few other bits thrown in ;)

Have my clothing and helmet etc ready, so looking to pick up next Sat! Hopefully the weather will be OK!

Chose this bike as it looks nice, but can do over 100mpg as well as having the stop/start tech etc. so looks pretty good overall.

I simply completed my CBT in Nov last year. The CBT will last for 2 years so you need to redo it every 2 years unless you do the full bike test. I'll probably just do the CBT again as all I want is this scooter, nothing too much more.
CBT cost me £100 I think.

Insurance for me with a car license since 1997 and 5 years no claims etc was £300 fully comp.
Bear in mind I have 6 points on my car license as well! 3 will end this summer, but obviously had to declare them all for the moment.
Third party F&T came to £150, but decided to go fully comp just to be on the safe side, being a new bike and all.

Comes in Black and Grey as well, but I went for white just for the increased visibility on the roads etc.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-PCX125-2010-current/

Thats a really smart bike you have there! I can't believe how cheap that is for a brand new bike!