Make a donation

Author Topic: Job Advice - PLEASE BE SERIOUS!!!  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Job Advice - PLEASE BE SERIOUS!!!
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:37 pm »
Kinda long winded but I will give you a basic over view.

Job 1) I applied for this last year......great job with LOTS of potential and something I would REALLY like to do. Never every thought I would get it, but applied anyway.

Job 2) Local job, interesting and nice change.

Now where is becomes serious.......! I have family and live in West Midlands. Both jobs are about the same £ wise, but job 1 has soooo much potential and would love to do it. The problem is, its based in London.

Talked with partner etc. she would NEVER move......and the downside I would be away a lot which would  :sad1: my son.

Realistically......as much as I want job 1, I don't really have much choice do I - son should always come first as I don't see any other way?

PLEASE BE SERIOUS......as I need to make a big choice. If I turn down job 1 I will be gutted. But a job is a job and your son is your son  :sad1:
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Job Advice - PLEASE BE SERIOUS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
If a job meant that much to be, then i would like to think my partner would support me in any which way she could.

Is it commutable?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:44:12 pm »
Ultimately you have to decide what is best for you and your family.

I'm in the unfortunate position that i have no choice but to do what my job says and go where my job says. When i leave this job i have vowed that i will never ever take a job that means i spend time away from my family. I would do 2 sh*tty jobs to make ends meet as long as i could see my wife and baby that's on the way.

For me family will come first every time.  :smiley:

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »
Where abouts are you living now? train journeys into london are getting easier from al over the country now.

could you commute. If not, how long could you keep up staying away during the week. My dad used to work away during the week but stopped and left a very well paid job so he could be home more often.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »
You will never replace the lost time of your son growing up and you not there to see it,family first for me

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:12 pm »
Brum to London is commutable by train but that still makes for a long day.

Difficult. You can't necessarily choose where you work but you can choose where you live and make the most of it from there provided there is a game plan for the future.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »
I can commute yes, but would be back late, and leave early - I would not see my lad till weekends, and will need to work some weekends to.

It has the opportunity for me to relocate in a few years as well, state side or Europe. Such a big opportunity for ME.

My partner is happy and not for obvious reasons. She would not move (Midlands) becuase her family, friends etc.

It has plus sides for my son - can take him with sometimes on travel etc. but I will see him properly - ONCE and week (9 years old) and we do everything together (we are close) realistically I have 5 good years left with my son, before he becomes 'raving - hoodied - boy racer'
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fbu0qmtb0a5frlo66915f522sr&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 08:55:27 pm »
Job 2... unless job 1 is a huuuuge salary.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »
Job 1 < Is good........NOT megga megga, but its good with great opportunity! Safe, secure, benifits............

Job 2 < OK, but in time I will get boarded.

Job 2 < Make everyone else happy (just not me)
Job 1 < Will  :sad1: a few people but I will regret this in the long term (deep down)

:ashamed:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
Will job 1 be achievable/available in 5 years time? Time with your son is one time only, the job opportunity may come up again but at a more favourable time for all.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:16 pm »
Hmm tough one.

Had some similar concerns myself and as yet still undecided so I feel your pain but can't make up my own mind let alone help you with yours, sorry.  :drinking:

Whilst time with family is extremely precious, being able to give that family the things they want is also important.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »
Will the job come round again ? not unless the sack me lol or a progress......took me 4 months, 2 interview, few test to get this. I never expected to get it....then  :surprised: I got the call.......love you on board  :scared:

Love my son < HE IS NUMBER 1 - die for him, kill for him........sell my soul for him!

Althought my time with him is limited - it will BENIFIT him to. Giving him more, better things....and opportunites. but as I have just been told by the mrs, sorry miss lol its all worthless, all he needs is a dad!!!

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 10:02:43 pm »
As a man who works shifts, it kills me to be away from my family. Despite being in the same house when I'm working 12 hour nights or afternoons I barely see any of them they are 17 and 16 and I've missed so much of their lives. If I had a choice I'd be home every night with them. Some things with your children only come around once and do you really want to miss it for a job ?
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »
If there's one thing I've learnt lately it's spend all the time you have with your family  (my mum passed away yesterday) stay local, there's other was to progress with your career and many opportunities will arise  

Family is so important, spend all the time with your son as you can, spend all the time in the world you can with your family, you never know what's around the corner and when anything happens you will blame yourself and hate yourself for not spending all the precious time you can with them, we all take things for granted....especially things we see the most    :sad1:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »
I was in Ikea the other day. The writing on the wall read "spend time not money on your children".