Author Topic: EOS  (Read 2131 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
EOS
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:38 pm »
What do people think of these? Are they über gay? Or a bit girly?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: EOS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:04 pm »
I like em, though i am in touch with my feminine side.  :wink: The only thing i would say is the do seem to date quickly.  :happy2:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »
And leak a lot...VW into the second recall now to replace the seals around the hardtop, lots of unhappy customers by all accounts

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:29 am »
made up of a mixture from the parts bin of the other VW's, they can be quite cool if a bit feminine

the mrs's eos:

thread for it: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3992.0.html

you need to spend a bit of money on them but not too much, i had to de-tune from 270bhp down to 240bhp because of the weight over the back meant the front wheels simply couldnt get the power down and just spin

and you wont go fast anyway because they understeer like mental, magnified when the tops dropped with all the weight transfer.

they squeak and rattle.....ALOT

they rattle and squeak.....ALOT

the suspension is incredibly delicate

prone to electrical gremlins and roof faults, the smell of mould will be present in the early ones due to poor design for water drainage behind the rear glass

all that said though..... its cool as a ribbed cucumber in the summer, super comfy, loads of room for 4 adults, impressive bootspace with the hood down, massive when its up, big sunroof if you dont want the hood off

...oh an its like a transformer helps too  :grin: one of the best parts of ownership is watching people watch it

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:13:38 am »
I've been driving this one for a little over a week. I'm normally quite quick at deciding whether I like or dislike a car, but this has proved really difficult.

It does squeak and rattle a lot, especially on poorly surfaced roads, and shake when the roof is down can be quite alarming at times, and although it is a hardtop, rigidity when the roof is up isn't great.

I've not been too impressed by the practicality either. The boot looks huge but it's really compromised by the roof mechanism. To look at you'd think it would easily accommodate a pram, but I literally had to disassemble our iCandy Apple to fit in, and once in there isn't any room for anything else. You'd really struggle fitting a suitcase in it too. With adults in the rear (or a stage 0+ baby seat) the front seating position becomes rather tight too.

So as a two door coupe it fails for me, and unless you are going to use the roof A LOT I can't see any sane reason not to buy a Scirocco.

On the other hand, with the roof down, heated leather seats on, just cruising, I like it a lot. It got me thinking about the Golf/A3 Cabriolet. No that has got to be a totally pointless car.

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:34 am »
Cabs are always rubbish dailys, then you drop the roof and seem great, I love summers days with roof off, but my cab is an mx5 worth peanuts so not a problem if it sits about doing nothing, not much point in England IMO unless you live in vc's part off Britain  :signLOL: sea, sex and sun :happy2:
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:41:00 pm »
I work for VW and the EOS has changed my mind on the way I 1st felt about the car!
Pain in the arse! My techs at work at adiment that they come from the factory with 10 litres of water in the boot  :signLOL:
They rattle alot too, it's a nice car but not worth the hassle at all

But at the same time give it respect were its due.....that roof is a work of art, so many parts to it and very technical, I think it's fair for the odd one to go wrong due to the technology....but there such a pain  :signLOL:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:57 pm »
The folding mechanism is a work of art, if a bit slow. However I have noticed that the seals are often left standing proud of the roof panels after closing it. I haven't noticed any water ingress but it never sounds airtight. I seem to check the windows are properly closed each time I drive it and they always are.

The looks do nothing for me either, particularly with this face lifted model, where they just seem to have grafted on the corporate front end and some uninspiring rear lights.

Offline Scousus maximus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:59:05 pm »
I bought mine new in November 2007 as a retirement present for me. :happy2: It's had a few minor squeaks and still has a slight rattle in the lhr quarter but overall it still feels good to drive and can make good pace when required. It let a few drips in once on the Pennines in the biggest downpour I've ever seen including a Typhoon I experienced in Japan. I think the roof drains were simply overwhelmed. It also doesn't like having the window seals hit with the pressure washer but that's to be expected and the manual warns you about it.
 Being a convertible it needs a bit of additional maintenance by way of a 6 monthly application of Krytox to the seals and rubbers and I spend a half day or so doing it thoroughly, the squeaks then disappear for about 3~4 months. I think this is where some people feel it's too much trouble and can't be bothered and then moan on about it. I think another group are the ones who expect it to be a family car, it's not meant to be that at all but can carry four adults in reasonable comfort when necessary.
As for its looks, I personally think it looks quite chunky from some angles and then a bit soft from others, either way I love it and as with all things to do with taste it's ETTO. The Red Nappa leather is beautiful and always gets compliments from others.
Sorry for rambling but you did ask!!!

Regards,
John

Offline Scousus maximus

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »
http://www.vweosclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324

Still rambling on, have a look at this one.

Regards,
John

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »
I like te Eos and the facelift but prefer the facelift front and pre facelift rear. If I got one it has to be black with red leather and option 18's, also a petrol as its a soft top.

Also seen one with a scirocco front end on it and it looked the nuts

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:54 pm »
I like te Eos and the facelift but prefer the facelift front and pre facelift rear. If I got one it has to be black with red leather and option 18's, also a petrol as its a soft top.

Also seen one with a scirocco front end on it and it looked the nuts

I wouldn't be worried about fuel, mine has the 2.0TDI Bluemotion unit in it and you don't hear it.

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:52:22 pm »
I work for VW and the EOS has changed my mind on the way I 1st felt about the car!
Pain in the arse! My techs at work at adiment that they come from the factory with 10 litres of water in the boot  :signLOL:
They rattle alot too, it's a nice car but not worth the hassle at all

But at the same time give it respect were its due.....that roof is a work of art, so many parts to it and very technical, I think it's fair for the odd one to go wrong due to the technology....but there such a pain  :signLOL:

3 of my mates served their time at our local VW dealer (done 9+ years each) and they all hate leaks on an Eos!

They went through a phase of going to VW at Milton Keynes quite a lot to learn about recalls and re-designs to try and sort the roof issue

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........