Make a donation

Author Topic: Xenon headlights Scam - Don't be caught out like I was!!  (Read 5782 times)

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
Xenon headlights Scam - Don't be caught out like I was!!
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
Hi All
I hope this serves as a salutary lesson although most will agree I've been rather stupid.

A kind Mk5golfgti member answered my recent wanted ad for a set of Xenon's for my Ed30.  I'd already been through the process of buying from 2 sellers only to be thwarted at the last hurdle when the first seller and then the second managed to damage the lights whilst packing them up to dispatch them. In the 2nd case the seller returned my money immediately, whilst no money had changed hands in the first case.  
Thinking I must be cursed, i left the Xenon quest for a few weeks only to have a reply pointing me to an ad on Pistonheads for a set of Xenons.  They were in Scotland and Andrew wanted £450.00. The ad had a phone number and an email link.  I was away working so i emailed Andrew in Scotland and not hearing anything back texted the next day.  Andrew texted back promptly saying they were still available.  I asked for some photos of the lamps, and after a little confusion because of Blackberry v iPhone picture messaging, saw a set of reasonable Xenons complete with ballasts and bulbs etc.  Andrew said they were in good condition and the only reason he was selling was he had damaged his R32 front end and was breaking the car.  Fair enough I thought.  

I offered Andrew £400 and he countered with £420 including dispatching the lights, which I thought wasn't bad.  He said he couldn't take Paypal so could I send it to a Bank Account. I was a little concerned but I asked for a postal address which he gave me.  The bank account wasn't in his name - the alarm bells rang again but he assured me the account was his brother in law's as he had lost his bank card.

I really should have seen the warning signs here but I sent the money to the account 'Andrew' gave me and waited for a response.  After chasing him again he eventually responded saying the money was in the bank  and he was sorting out the delivery.  I telephoned him again asking for the delivery company and tracking number which he said he'd get me.

I didn't hear from him again.

I texted him asking for a refund (ha ha) and he was legally obliged to fulfil his side of the contract we'd made. I then sent another message that I'd have no alternative to hand the matter to the police.

I spoke with the Pistonheads Classified advertising Manager hoping to trace Andrew through their records - but the ad was a FREE AD where Pistonnheads take no details from the seller as they don't pay for placing the ad including pictures. No comeback for the buyer, easy money for the unscrupulous thieves out there.
The Pistonheads guy said they'd ban 'Andrew' from the site - and an hour later I received the biggest kick in the head - an email from Pistonheads entitled:

"URGENT WARNING: 'VW golf xenon headlights' (3645155)

Hi,

Our records show that you recently replied to the advert 'vw golf xenon head lights' (3645155) on PistonHeads.

This advert has since been removed as we have reason to believe that it may not be genuine.

We strongly recommend that you ignore any contact from the 'seller' and under no circumstances transfer any money.

For more information please see our fraud warnings page: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/warnings.asp or http://www.vstag.co.uk

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

Thank you for using our site and best of luck finding your new car.

Regards,
The PistonHeads Team

The email I'm presuming was a system generated one after I spoke with them and they banned the seller.  

I've learnt my lesson.  If something seems a little dubious, its because it most probably IS dubious and one should follow one's instincts. If a deal seems too good to be true, its because it is.  WALK AWAY!
 There is a huge market in 2nd hand car parts in the UK more often sold by honest traders. Unfortunately, there's a number of people like Andrew who exploit the unsuspecting (like me).  Don't be caught out.

PR

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Re: Xenon headlights Scam - Don't be caught out like I was!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:11:22 am »
Absolutely gutted for you mate, people like this 'Andrew' need tracking down and dispatching...... :fighting:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
sorry to hear of your experiences mate. I guess its a good reminder to us all why its always best to use Paypal for transferring funds / making purchases on places like gumtree/pistonheads.

If the seller asks to deposit money direct into an account or send as paypal gift, its best to walk away.

Rich

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Re: Xenon headlights Scam - Don't be caught out like I was!!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:18:49 am »
Did you contact police, what did they say? You would think a bank acct number would provide some leads.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:28 am »
Did you contact police, what did they say? You would think a bank acct number would provide some leads

+1
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:29:18 am »
That sucks I feel for you there has been quite a few fake/scam sellers lately, over on edition a few have been spoken about
Can we name and shame these people and keep a record of there contact details etc so we can all check before buying from people ?
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 10:32:55 am »
Did you contact police, what did they say? You would think a bank acct number would provide some leads

+1

+ 2  :confused:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:19 am »
+3  :confused:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:07:51 am »
+4, there are enough of them on Enay without them popping up on forums too, bring back capital punishment for scammers/thieves.  :fighting:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=onfvaljbat53crbnv78uaube08&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:04 pm »
I think the OP has contacted the police, lets hope that some details match up and the police can go and pay him a visit.  :happy2:

Offline bakili

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »
Absolutely gutted for you,
Speak to your bank, if you did bank transfer, i am sure you can claim your money back, get police involved as well. It could be worse if you sent payment as paypal gift, you would have no legs to stand.

Offline StephenED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 53
  • Edition 40 No 135
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »
I was the person who pointed galaxie500 in the direction of Pistonheads, I came across the xenon’s and just posted the link as I saw them a few days before. I would just like to say I have nothing to do with the seller and thought I was helping someone out when I posted the link, how wrong was I when I read this. Have exchanged a few PM’s with galaxie500 in the meantime and just hope he either gets the headlights (looking very unlikely) of his money back (Hope for your sake you do). Have you been stupid, no; you trusted someone after you had spoken to them; unfortunately this is the country we are now living in? I have bought lots of parts from members on this site and E-bay and never had any trouble. Just hope all turns out well in the end and that the Police or someone else can do something to get your money back.

Offline sanj

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
So sorry to hear about this mate,the law in this country is a joke,seeing as the money was transfered into a British bank account it would be so easy for the bank's/police to track down and get the scum responsible for this and prosecute them,but no the bank's will not release the info as to not to jepordise the cnut's privacy,make's me sick. :fighting:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:53 pm »
Sorry to hear that mate. I would like to think the members on this forum are a decent bunch of genuine guys. I have purchased loads of stuff from on here by directly transfering money to bank accounts and have to say that all of you i have dealt with have been genuine. As we all know there are people out there who like to think they can get away with this sort of sh1t. Lets just hope the catch the focker and cut his nuts off then hand then to the o.p. or one day the w4nker gets a taste of his own medicine.

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:44:40 pm »
Gutted for you   :sad1:  same happened to me but on this forum, I feel your pain! I will now never bank transfer, costly learning the hard way  :sick: