Make a donation

Author Topic: starter to machine polisher  (Read 2665 times)

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
starter to machine polisher
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:54:38 pm »
bet you get this alot i want to get a machine polisher to get rid of all the marks and scratches just wondering what products for what stages and pads and is it easy to do or can you muck it up and ruin your paint work

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Re: starter to machine polisher
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:20 pm »
where you from?

3 months on buddy - I've just got to grips with a basic detail

I will give you the same advise I got from the pro's on here..........get it done by a detailer!!

- Buyer a machine polisher is the easy part
- Then there are 100's of different polishes available, depending on the colour, paint type how bad it is etc.
- Then, there are 100's of different pad types for the polisher, depending again on the polish, car....and how bad the paint is.

You will need a DEPTH reader (something like that) the will read the depth or paint, so you know how much polishing you can do........

BIG ONE < Skills

Unless you know what your doing you will f**K it up big time.....wrong pads/wrong polishe and you will make it worse even strip of tooo much laquer.

What polish? what pads? how much pressure to you.........mind field!

Have it detailed < then maintain it yourself.

The cost of machiner polisher, pads, polish etc. will cost the same as a detail, if not more!!

:happy2: This is just my opinion. Its not as simple as I first though.
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »
Lol Johnny's beaten me to it. I'd always recommend getting the car done by a pro so that you have an excellent base to work on whilst you research products and techniques.

It's veh easy to blow £200-300 on polishing stuff and then getting bored by it. However, if you really want to go for it then you need to invest time, money and energy. Start off with a dual action polished which is safer than a rotary polisher. Get a kit with pads and polishes included. Buy a scrap panel and try things out. Get used to the polisher and how to break down polishes properly.

Look at online retailers for polishers - elitecarcare, washshop, cleanyourcar etc.

There's a few guides on DW about polishing.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:22:12 pm »
If you really want to know whats involved get yourself joined up to detailing world.com and get yourself booked on one of the sponsors open/training day. About 45quid you'll spend most of your day practising on body panels using Dual action and rotary machine polishers using different polishes, techniques etc. Realisticaly, you'll only machine polich your car twice a year? Correct me if im wrong?  :rolleye: The amount of money you'll spend on a machine polisher and various products your half way there to paying for a paintwork enhancement detail. For an outlay of 40 odd quid you'll see if its for you or not. Good luck!
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:26:01 pm »
thanks for all your replys think ill get a pro to do it as it really needs doing im in sussex and there few companys that do it. ill have a look at detailing world as would not mind getting to know how to do it. thanks again for the help  :drinking:

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 10:00:15 am »
Taking cover.....

But it's not that difficult. IF you read a lot on Detailing World etc. Ask the right questions (take some answers with a pinch of salt sometimes. Most are very helpful & useful)

Practice on a panel from a breakers if u are still worried (try get a panel similar to your car colour make etc)

Start with the least abrasive polish & pad. Be amazed at the results.

Good DA starter kits from £130ish new....

No where near as scary as most make out.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:44:04 pm »
Taking cover.....

But it's not that difficult. IF you read a lot on Detailing World etc. Ask the right questions (take some answers with a pinch of salt sometimes. Most are very helpful & useful)

Practice on a panel from a breakers if u are still worried (try get a panel similar to your car colour make etc)

Start with the least abrasive polish & pad. Be amazed at the results.

Good DA starter kits from £130ish new....

No where near as scary as most make out.

Totally agree!:

Purchased this  last week http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-kit/prod_675.html

Must say results are fantastic on my wifes Dark blue Mini and my Red Golf Gti!

Go for it!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:26:05 pm »
Agreed it's not difficult but I've seen people play £200-300 for everything, have one or two goes and then give up. If you have the time, money, effort and space for it, I agree - go ahead!

Remember to read through a decent guide like this one: clicky

With a DA, it's more difficult to go wrong (but not impossible). I used a Menzerna Final Finish with a Finishing pad on a G220 machine straight on my Golf GTI without any prior experience. I just took my time, made sure the pad didn't dry or overheat, and made sure the polish was thoroughly broken down before moving on to the next section. Took me the best part of six hours.

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:55:24 pm »
Round here you seem to be looking at £500ish for a machine polish so DIY has got to be cost effective.  Second hand DA's don't seem to loose much money and are in demand it can easily be punted on if you get bored.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:02 pm »
Surely that depends on what you're after? An enhancement detail would be in the £150-300 price bracket and I'd expect £500+ for a full on correction, which you wouldn't do without a paint depth guage.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »
Be ware of used DA polishers. If they have had heavy use bearings can go.
I would also go for a decent make. Kestrel & CYC seem to be highly regarded.

As with anything in life the professional (detainers) will be able to do a better job in less time.

But finding a good detailer in your area isn't easy and for my 2pence worth.

Even after a full correction your car won't look it's best after the first bit of rain.

It is amazing however, it easier to keep up to a well prepared car. Until you have had your car detailed you simply won't understand.

Prepare to be amazed.
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:38:31 pm »
I'd wanted to have ago with a polisher but like you I was worried I'd cock it up. It took me weeks of research on Detailing World and YouTube but in the end I bought a DAS 6 pro kit with the menzerna polish and sonus pads. I knew it was something I wanted to learn and was willing to persist.
I struggled to achieve results at first and it took probably 3 or 4 goes on different panels before I got it sorted. Since then I've done another 5 cars with equally good results.
If you really are willing to persevere then I would go for it. A pro will do a better job as they are always going. To have better skills but the satisfaction you get from correct ting the paint isworth the investment in my opinion.. Just be aware that your unlikely to achieve perfect results without a paint gauge as you don't know how far you can go. You can still remove the vast majority though.

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:37 pm »
ok think im gonna go get a scrap panel as people have said and have a go  :evilgrin: whats the safest pad and polish to go for or any steps they do

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:54 pm »
The least aggressive for each!

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:38 am »
Yep
Then step them up.
Next pad up still with the least cut polish.
Finish with a finishing pad & finishing polish.
Don't forget to seal & wax after.
Take your time
No Golf anymore. 
Thank You Everyone.