Make a donation

Author Topic: Boot Popping..........  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Boot Popping..........
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:29:31 pm »
before anyone attacks me lol I have searched already.............  :ashamed:

As far as Im aware the boot pop is a case of replacing the gas struts and two bump stops. From what I have read this is has been or can be unreliable. Sometimes it WONT pop.

Q: has this been resolved? different struts or parts?

As I have just found this......a different way of doing it. Has anydone done this? is this a better way of doing it? using springs

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/267656.aspx
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:31:41 pm by Johnny_tro »
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: Boot Popping..........
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »
Mine always 'pops', but when it's cold or not been opened for a while it only pops a tiny bit which is still useful when shopping as it only takes a slight nudge to swing fully open.

I believe it's to do with the density of the gas in the cold. Only did the mod a few months back so hoping it works all the time over summer.

PS. you also need to replace the ball pins along with struts and stoppers.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:24 pm »
skard < you happpy with yours?

what parts did you use?

do you think adding these springs could help?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:52:44 pm »
skard < you happpy with yours?

what parts did you use?

do you think adding these springs could help?

From the linky thread its got the skoda part numbers in the last post, ive gotta service, fit GTI rear calipers discs pads and disc back plates and a new turbo to mine this weekend so i may have to wait a week or 2 before i go buying any more parts lol
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »
I used...

1K8827761C x 2
1J6827439A  x 2
6Y0827550C x 2

Happy with it, would be better if it swung open every time, but I did install it coming into winter.
There's likely a minor adjustment I could do, and perhaps moisturising the boot seal would assist a bit.

Like I say, when it doesn't swing open it still pops and it only takes a nudge with one finger to give it that momentum to swing.

Go for it, I needed new struts anyway and deliberated about it for a while after reading feedback, but overall I like the mod.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:59:20 pm »
 :happy2:

why do you need new struts already??

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:25 am »
Nah, my old ones weren't as enthusiastic as they used to be (or so I convinced myself) so did the mod rather than replace them with normal mk5 ones.

Did you get your GPS working?

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:14 am »
So, are NOT using the Skoda ones? why would would you want to replace with MK5 ones?

GP < f**king thing doesn't work!! Had to get another hopefully it will work, and its just a antenna fault

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 12:17:34 am »
No....my standard struts from the original setup were needing replaced, so I did the pop mod rather than replace like-for-like.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 12:20:09 am »
oooooo sorry.....its late  :ashamed:

might does this next month. have the button activated so just need the bits

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 12:50:41 am »
Doesn't take long to do either, all you need is a broom handle or something to prop open the tailgate, saves your head getting smacked  :grin:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:14:58 am »
Been flat out jonny sorry  :ashamed:

I have spoke to struts direct about supplying oem length struts (the fabia ones were a bit short for my car and I kept banging my head on the bootlid) they are going to supply Leon struts but to the strength I want. The fabia ones as far as I know we're 500NM.

I'll drop you a PM when the new struts arrive  :happy2:

Good thing is I can have struts where I can release gas or send them off to be re gassed to higher strength to get the perfect setup.

If you do the coding and just add the springy bumpers it pops and inch or so to get your fingers under the tailgate which is handy

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:27 am »
Mike < No problems!!!

So basically your doing custom struts......? take it they could suppply the ones above with a little extra 'pop' so to speak?

Let me know buddy - details/price etc

Offline gizmo68

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
  • We're here for a good time, not a long time
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:07 pm »
As I have just found this......a different way of doing it. Has anydone done this? is this a better way of doing it? using springs

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/267656.aspx

Funny enough I have done it  :grin:

They were however taken off last year after being fitted for a couple of years, they were very hit and miss when they worked and made closing the tailgate harder.
VCDS HEX-NET & VCP owner (covers all VAG cars)
(PM me if you require VCDS or VCP coding or scanning in Kent)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »
 :scared:  :laugh: :rolleye:

Really not sure whether to do this or not - getting so many good/back reviews. Seems splitt