Make a donation

Author Topic: fog grills  (Read 3217 times)

hugh jass

fog grills
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:30:43 pm »

Offline Robo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: fog grills
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:54:19 pm »
I bought the exact same ones mate well made and toughen up the look of the front end  :smiley:

Offline pitsirikas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:11 am »
These are for the look only.

If you have DSG gearbox you'll "have" to buy the full set.

Four pieces.

The 2 grills, an air-pipe  for the left grill (passenger side) , and a stopper for the right grill (driver side).

The trick is that through the air-pipe more cold air will go to the gearbox.

If your car is manual then......go for the looks.

If not....buy the full set.

Don't drive faster than your angel can fly..!
                Respect a man's car and the man will respect you

Offline Robo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:00:12 am »
I disagree open fogs allow more air in anyway they didn't have ducts on the closed fogs so why would you need them on open fogs

Offline pitsirikas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34:05 am »
they didn't have ducts on the closed fogs so why would you need them on open fogs
Of course the closed ones don't have ducts...............because they are closed.
On the other hand from the open fogs you can have more air (because they are open) and through the air-pipe you can send more cold air to the gearbox.

Don't drive faster than your angel can fly..!
                Respect a man's car and the man will respect you

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:11:19 am »

Four pieces.

The 2 grills, an air-pipe  for the left grill (passenger side) , and a stopper for the right grill (driver side).

Some DSG Mk.V GTIs, R32s or Mk.VI Rs have an additional water cooler on the passengers side
(drivers side continental of course).
That's the ony reason VW built GTIs (and Rs) with open grills.

1K0 121 212 C Zusatzwasserkühler (aktuelle TN) 170,17 €
1K0 122 051 BC Wasserschlauch Heißland
1K0 121 064 A Rohr
1K0 121 101 CB Rohr
1K0 121 087 J Adapter
1K0 121 156 BA Schlauch
1K0 121 333 A Lufteinlassführung
1K0 122 291 M Schnellverschluss
1K0 121 156 BC Schlauch Schnellverschluss
06F 121 111 1H Thermostat ED30

"You get what you pay for."

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »
they didn't have ducts on the closed fogs so why would you need them on open fogs
Of course the closed ones don't have ducts...............because they are closed.
On the other hand from the open fogs you can have more air (because they are open) and through the air-pipe you can send more cold air to the gearbox.
And by doing so - take cold air AWAY from your brakes and intercooler and engine air intake . . .  VW didn't spend millions of euros in the wind tunnel and with CFD to use CLOSED fog lamp grilles for a reason - did they?
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »

Four pieces.

Some DSG Mk.V GTIs, R32s or Mk.VI Rs have an additional water cooler on the passengers side
(drivers side continental of course).
That's the ony reason VW built GTIs (and Rs) with open grills.

1K0 121 212 C Zusatzwasserkühler (aktuelle TN) 170,17 €
1K0 122 051 BC Wasserschlauch Heißland
1K0 121 064 A Rohr
1K0 121 101 CB Rohr
1K0 121 087 J Adapter
1K0 121 156 BA Schlauch
1K0 121 333 A Lufteinlassführung
1K0 122 291 M Schnellverschluss
1K0 121 156 BC Schlauch Schnellverschluss
06F 121 111 1H Thermostat ED30

Erm, that additional rad MAY be listed in ETKA, but it was never actually fitted to any GTI - even in superhot climates like Dubai or Mexico or Australia.

Incorrect useage of ETKA can bring up some very misleading, and factually wrong information!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:10:12 pm »
TT, tell more if you can. AXX is listed so I may conclude they fitted some AXX with it.

But that's not the point. Many mapped TFSIs with K04 run more power than the
Mk.VI R from factory. As the picture proves at least 'some' Golf R do come with it.

That's why I say that retrofitting this on higher powered TFSIs will provide an
advantage. They will run cooler. A bad thing?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:49:32 pm by the bruce »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:05:22 pm »
TT, tell more if you can. AXX ist listed so I may conclude they fitted some AXX with it.

But that's not the point. Many mapped TFSIs with K04 run more power than the
Mk.VI R from factory. As the picture proves at least 'some' Golf R do come with it.

That's why I say that retrofitting this on higher powered TFSIs will provide an
advantage. They will run cooler. A bad thing?

You are confusing modified over standard.

To specifically discuss standard - this issue of the additional coolant rad was raised many moons ago (can't remember if it was on this forum or the other GTI forum).  The crux of the issue was that whilst ETKA shows that this additional rad may be fitted - our extensive research proved that it never actually had been fitted.  This included cars which were official exports to both 'hot countries' AND 'super- hot countries' (as listed in the ETKA pr detail).  We had forum members from places like Dubai, South Africa, Australia, Greece who didn't have this rad - and we also sourced info from the yankie GolfMkV.com forums for others in Mexico, California and the likes - again, no one had this additional rad fitted.

So, if a standard GTI which is being spanked in the deserts of Dubai does not have any cooling probs on the standard radiator - then I'm pretty confident that a moderately tuned GTI used here in Blighty or northern Europe will still be perfectly OK on the standard coolant rad.  A really big clue to indicate any overheating or lack of efficiency of the standard cooling system will be shown by either a rising temperature gauge, or more probably, the cooling fans working at 100% duty when they normally wouldn't (save for those common-ish problems of faulty cooling fans).

It is important to understand that 'air' is generally a fixed 'volume'.  OK, there are differences in ambient temperatures and pressures changing the density - but that is generally very small changes.  The front of the GTI (just like any car) is designed to use this specific volume of air in a very determined manner.  That means feeding air to the engine air intake, feeding air to the cooling system and air conditioning rads, feeding cool air to the intercooler, feeding air to the front brakes, and feeding air underneath the vehicle to cool the bottom of the engine and transmission.  This is all achieved via CFD modelling and wind tunnel testing to create specific high pressure areas on the front of the car, which will then feed or channel the air in a specific direction and/or towards a specific component.

If you then modify that airflow - you will be diverting air away from one component to another.  The most <cough> popular <cough> modification on the Mk5 is to fit 'open' fog lamp grilles - by doing so, you will actually take air away from both the front brakes, and to a certain extent, the lower centre grille area - which feeds the intercooler, air con and normal rad.

Front airflow is further referenced in (I think) the new Ford Fiesta advert - something along the lines of CLOSING the active grilles at speed to improve the airflow !

Like I said, all car companies spend millions on computer modeling, CFD and wind tunnels to achieve the optimum airflow - especially on the front of a vehicle (granted, they often loose patience when it comes to the rear end airflow!)
------

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »
TT, fitting open grills will raise drag - no doubt.  :wink:
But there won't be any loss of air stream through the main radiator package.

From theory it will be even increased because air stream is slowed on the
sides (where the fog grills are).

If I ever fit the open grills I will do it for improved brake ventilation and not
for looks.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:51 am »
TT, fitting open grills will raise drag - no doubt.  :wink:
Agreed.  :happy2:

But there won't be any loss of air stream through the main radiator package.
Ho yes there will . . . . because . . .

From theory it will be even increased because air stream is slowed on the sides (where the fog grills are).
Not correct . . . the pic Stealthwolf posted after his snow drive clearly shows the areas of high pressure build-up on the front of the Mk5 GTI.  With closed fog grilles - there will be a build up of positive air pressure, which will be dispersed in all directions.  Taking four simplistic planes: up, down, left and right - and the effect of this increased pressure; air will flow upwards over the headlamp (this will happen in both closed and open fogs, because the headlamp area will create a low pressure area - due to its' sharply angled design, and the fact that above the headlamps there is no resistance to airflow); the 'right' on the right-side and the 'left' on the left-side will work in the same manner as the 'up' - the air will bleed away down the side of the car.  But the 'left' on the right-side, the 'right' on the left-side, and the 'down' will all be significantly affected - the first two will feed air into the lower centre grill (by positive air pressure), and the down will feed air into the splitter, which in turn will feed air to the front brakes via the underfloor ducts - open fogs will affect these two important areas.

If I ever fit the open grills I will do it for improved brake ventilation and not for looks.
As long as you fit appropriate ducting behind said grilles, along with appropriate cut-outs in the wheel arch liner - then I don't have a problem at all with that.

The problem lies when peeps fail to fit this necessary additional ducting, and think they will get 'improved' ventilation to say the brakes - just look at the blatant bullsh!t in that eBay advert in the first post in this thread!  :stupid:
------

hugh jass

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »
I dont want them now :signLOL:

dockermel

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:53 pm »
 :P crikey you opened a bag of worms there :signLOL: im getting some cos i think they look good :drinking: