Make a donation

Author Topic: Volant Intake System for TFSI  (Read 81271 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Volant Intake System for TFSI
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2012, 09:35:52 am »

My only issue is that there's nothing I can see in the design to detach the device from the engine's movements, especially as the intake appears to attach to the gearbox end of the head. Any movement of head will be somehow transferred to the main shrouding.

IM not sure if its actually anchored there as on the picture in post above it does not look to be anchored to me?, not sure what that is for?

....There is a fixing/anchor point on the 2.0T FSI engine in the position you have red circled but under stress (from engine movement) there have been cases of it breaking:

The Forge Twintake doesn't rely on this fixing point. The ITG does but is made up of flexible sections either side - Pic below:

Having engine mounts will greatly reduce engine movement. So I'm sorry to suggest that as this nice looking Volant intake is rigid one-piece pipe, if you have OEM engine mounts you already know how much engine movement there is, and so this could be a weak point IF the Volant relies on this anchor - Time will tell.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:34:44 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=djgkp1gsp1cgdvku6c3gcdlma6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:30 am »
It really should have a rubber grommet to attach it to that mounting point. Bad design IMO.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
Please don't think I'm a hater or trying to piss on the Volant parade but:

Are there any flexible sections/joins at all on the Volant? - The pics so far don't show enough detail about this aspect. I'm just raising questions which I would do if I was thinking of buying a Volant, which I would have considered if I didn't have my Twintake.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
No worries lads, im sure the fixing point can be mounted with a rubber grommet to allow movement (A simple rubber slotted grommet will suffice to allow movement back n forth) that way its attached but allows movement.

I am not fussed if there are haters or Twintake/ITG fanboys saying this n that  :grin: (No offence to those that are not!), bottom line is I went with this based on the fact that I very much dislike (Hate is atoo strong a word) the Twintake and ITG (They are like dog nuggets in a public park  :grin:) and the fact that this is around £200 rather than £360 helped on the decision.

Time will indeed tell if it performs (I am not chasing massive BHP numbers) and if its a bad design, either way I like the look of it being more OEM looking in my mind.

We shall see what happens.

Just got to get together the money for the BCS TBE Valvetech exhaust and get them fitted along with a re-map and whatever the power figure will be I shall be happy with it :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:24:06 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:48 pm »
bottom line is I went with this based on the fact that I very much dislike (Hate is atoo strong a word) the Twintake and ITG (They are like dog nuggets in a public park  :grin:) and the fact that this is around £200 rather than £360 helped on the decision.

Time will indeed tell if it performs (I am not chasing massive BHP numbers) and if its a bad design, either way I like the look of it being more OEM looking in my mind.

....Well, it's well proven that along with the Evoms, both the ITG Maxogen and Twintake deliver very good performance so it's difficult to see what you dislike without you being specific. I think you get what you pay for generally.

As for the Volant looking OEM, if indeed that matters because no VW tech/mech is gonna be fooled, will the OEM engine cover still fit after a Volant is installed?

Just got to get together the money for the BCS TBE Valvetech exhaust and get them fitted along with a re-map and whatever the power figure will be I shall be happy with it :happy2:

....Heard the BCS exhaust on Tfsi_Mike's Cupra yesterday and it sounded very good indeed, very sporty without being boy-racer loud.  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:09 pm »

....Well, it's well proven that along with the Evoms, both the ITG Maxogen and Twintake deliver very good performance so it's difficult to see what you dislike without you being specific. I think you get what you pay for generally.

High performance figures im not that fussed about, 4 or 5 bhp is not going to make much difference to me, thats one of the many reasons for trying something different, another reason is money (£200 versus £350) and the other being that EVERYONE (Most anyway) has either Twintake or ITG, I think I ahve always supported the underdog, if a company (or 2) like ITG/VWR and Forge have a large market share I would look for alternatives to be different, same with re-maps, I will be avoiding both Revo and APR for the very same reasons, that along with paying only £300-400 for a remap rather than £600, its not so much the money that bugs me but the principle of market leaders overcharging (again my opinion)

As for the Volant looking OEM, if indeed that matters because no VW tech/mech is gonna be fooled, will the OEM engine cover still fit after a Volant is installed?

I am not trying to fool anyone, I personally prefer the look of the Volant (Or the A.W.E CCB which I considered too), it looks neater to me along with reasons above I just dont like the big Carbon cans on the Twintake (Little bit too Bling for me!) and the ITG to me just looks Chavvy, only my own personal opinions, and no like most (if not all) intake systems the engine cover wont fit unless modded

....Heard the BCS exhaust on Tfsi_Mike's Cupra yesterday and it sounded very good indeed, very sporty without being boy-racer loud.  :happy2:

I was lucky enough to go meet Dave and Nige when I was last up north and went in the GTI with the valvetech fittted, was very very impressed by it and both Dave and Nige's experience and attention to detail, made my mind up in about 5 minutes!.
Nice and quiet when pootling around (which I do a lot of) and sporty when booting it (but not chavvy or loud!)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:20:38 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 01:17:18 pm »
^^^^
Re your words: [Too tedious to try and extract from the way you have used quotes in your post]

I will be avoiding both Revo and APR for the very same reasons

....I am exactly the opposite - I am far more confident in an established remapper with a broad network (assuming their remap is proven as a good one without issues).

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 01:24:46 pm »
^^^^
Re your words: [Too tedious to try and extract from the way you have used quotes in your post]

I will be avoiding both Revo and APR for the very same reasons

....I am exactly the opposite - I am far more confident in an established remapper with a broad network (assuming their remap is proven as a good one without issues).

And there is one of the many things we disagree on  :happy2:

I would prefer the smaller tuning companies to get a bigger share of the market (albeit between 3 or 4 smaller tuning companies) rather than just have 2 big companies battling it out (who are overpriced in my opinion), supporting smaller companies also helps breed competition, no competition means they get lazy and just count the cash, I hope that the big guys see the small guys who do pretty much the same power-wise pushing them and gaining market share, it might make them change things and push things on.

As for established, Jabbasport have been in the industry for years (longer than Revo?) and I dont need a network of dealers if the one I use is 50 miles away  :happy2:, plus with bigger tuners selling their maps to tuning houses, service differs vastly between them (looking on the forums shows this regularly) so rather a tuning guy who sells re-maps which he bought form them and to install why not a tuning house who do the work themselves and know it inside and out?,  R-Tech, Shark etc etc they all do the same things, my map will be from one of them (not decided yet)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:31:53 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2012, 01:38:02 pm »

And there is one of the many things we disagree on  :happy2:

I would prefer the smaller tuning companies to get a bigger share of the market (albeit between 3 or 4 smaller tuning companies) rather than just have 2 big companies battling it out (who are overpriced in my opinion), supporting smaller companies also helps breed competition, no competition means they get lazy and just count the cash, I hope that the big guys see the small guys who do pretty much the same power-wise pushing them and gaining market share, it might make them change things and push things on.

....Funnily enough we partly agree! I posted earlier today my opinion about Revo and APR buying up other companies in the BSH thread and said more or less the same as you.  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2012, 01:50:29 pm »

....Funnily enough we partly agree! I posted earlier today my opinion about Revo and APR buying up other companies in the BSH thread and said more or less the same as you.  :happy2:

YAY  :happy2:

At least now I dont have to spread vicious rumours about you  :signLOL: :signLOL:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:23:43 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 05:18:07 pm »
The problem with supporting a low volume smaller company, can be that the action back-fires (possibly litterally with an engine map). I went smaller company with a map, and it was poor in my opinion. I'm sure there are good smaller outfits, but I feel I wasted money with my particular choice.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:28 pm »
For something such as a remap I wouldn't even consider going to a small tuner, no matter how local or how nice a guy.

I'm afraid we've gone off topic........   :popcornsoda:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:04 pm »
The problem with supporting a low volume smaller company, can be that the action back-fires (possibly litterally with an engine map). I went smaller company with a map, and it was poor in my opinion. I'm sure there are good smaller outfits, but I feel I wasted money with my particular choice.

Well I have used Jabbasport in Peterborough for my last 3 cars and never had any issues, so im happy with them, small does not equal crap as in my opinion smaller companies value their customers more than large conglomerates.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 06:06:40 pm »

Well I have used Jabbasport in Peterborough for my last 3 cars and never had any issues, so i'm happy with them, small does not equal crap as in my opinion smaller companies value their customers more than large companies where your just a profit margin  :wink:

Cant comment about other companies but both Shark and R-tech seem to get good reviews also.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2012, 06:44:05 pm »

Well I have used Jabbasport in Peterborough for my last 3 cars and never had any issues, so im happy with them, small does not equal crap as in my opinion smaller companies value their customers more than large conglomerates.

Indeed friends have used Jabba for high output 1.8t engines to good effect. I had issues with the map from another company.

Anyhow to get the thread back on topic, when will your intake be in the UK?