Make a donation

Author Topic: VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?  (Read 10649 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:08:53 pm »
Had a quote from VW for cambelt change of £419 just wondered exactly what is included as VW website does not tell you (Or I cant see it) and I DID search the forum first as I know there are lots, but none that answerred my question (I got bored after reading about 15 threads!!).

I got quote from my Indy who is including the following.

Cambelt, Tensioner, Rollers, Aux belt (I guess aircon/PS?), Water Pump and new eng bolts.

Does VW include all of the above or only include Cambelt and tensioner?

Sorry to be new thread over VERY old ground but as per above could not find answers!

Cheers

P.S. its due in May (4yrs old and has 40K) :sad1: but may get it done earlier so I can go stage 1 earlier  :evilgrin:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:12:30 pm »
VW include waterpump/cambelt/rollers/tensioners that's it.. usually £399.. but looks like they have added 20 pound on top..smh

also note the indy will probably not use genuine parts.. so somthing to consider

parts alone from VW inc waterpump(only if you give them your old waterpump) is around £210
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:16:20 pm by reflex11 »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:30:12 pm »
VW include waterpump/cambelt/rollers/tensioners that's it.. usually £399.. but looks like they have added 20 pound on top..smh

also note the indy will probably not use genuine parts.. so somthing to consider

parts alone from VW inc waterpump(only if you give them your old waterpump) is around £210

Hi, the Indy uses genuine VW parts, he deals with TPS and is a massive VW man and has been looking after my cars for 16 years, I was only asking as he quoted me more than VW and on my last car it was £140 cheaper than at VW. He also said he could not find a Cambelt KIT listed for Edition 30 so quoted based on parts bought seperately, is there a KIT that I can point him to?

I am sure I read on a forum on here that the bolts must be changed too (3 of them I seem to remember).

The £419 price is what it says on VW servicing costs page on website under fixed price servicing, I think it used to be £399.

Looks like its going to VW then  :confused:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:34:03 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »
Yes, I found that very few independents could match the cambelt change price from main dealers when I did mine last year.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »

Hi, the Indy uses genuine VW parts, he deals with TPS and is a massive VW man and has been looking after my cars for 16 years, I was only asking as he quoted me more than VW and on my last car it was £140 cheaper than at VW. He also said he could not find a Cambelt KIT listed for Edition 30 so quoted based on parts bought seperately, is there a KIT that I can point him to?

I am sure I read on a forum on here that the bolts must be changed too (3 of them I seem to remember).

The £419 price is what it says on VW servicing costs page on website under fixed price servicing, I think it used to be £399.

Looks like its going to VW then  :confused:

WAIT!!!!!!!!

Can i offer a third suggestion? I had the cambelt done a few months ago on my Edition 30. I got the parts from Dave at SERE motors - all genuine oem with proper invoice. All the parts (inc water pump) were £180 delivered! My mechanic fitted the parts with new coolant for £110 - so a grand total of £290  :happy2:.

Obviously, the biggest factor for you would be the labour cost of the mechanic.

hope this helps

Rich

Edit - forgot to mention. VW dont list a cambelt kit for the ED30 but Seat have one for the Leon Cupra R (i think) with all the parts complete. Dave knows exactly which one is the correct one for the ED30.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:33:56 pm by richtung »

Offline Lazye

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 06:50:47 pm »
I did quite a bit of research for this exact thing when I was changing the cambelt and water pump. I was informed that my local main dealers VW and audi do not change the rollers just the tensioner. This came from an ex audi tech and a vw master tech that sourced that parts for me. I actually bought the rollers myself from tps because he didn't get them for me as he said not really worth changing them (I changed them anyway as I am pretty anal about these things!). I think this is why the main dealer price can appear to be such a good price.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:23 pm »

WAIT!!!!!!!!

Can i offer a third suggestion? I had the cambelt done a few months ago on my Edition 30. I got the parts from Dave at SERE motors - all genuine oem with proper invoice. All the parts (inc water pump) were £180 delivered! My mechanic fitted the parts with new coolant for £110 - so a grand total of £290  :happy2:.

Obviously, the biggest factor for you would be the labour cost of the mechanic.

hope this helps

Rich

Edit - forgot to mention. VW dont list a cambelt kit for the ED30 but Seat have one for the Leon Cupra R (i think) with all the parts complete. Dave knows exactly which one is the correct one for the ED30.
[/quote]

Hi Rich, did the price of £180 include the rollers and the bolts also, if so might give him a call and speak to my Mech about labour costs for fitting them!, also was the Pump on an exchange basis? (send old one back?).

Cheers

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:06:44 pm »
Bloody hell!
My dealer quoted me over £500 for the cambelt service,last October,after the annual service.
I didn't ask what was involved,but I just imagined that it was the tensioner,rollers and belt.However,I was aware that it was a devil of a job and quite time consuming,but I put this down to removal of all the ancilliary parts.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »
My Bad, i quoted the wrong price  :sick:

For the cambelt kit and water pump it is £170 delivered (by parcel force).  :happy2: :happy2:

The kit contains:

Belt
Tensioner
water pump
2 secondary relay rollers

there were also a couple of bolts in the kit.

The water pump is on an exchange basis but only cost £3-£4 to send back.

You also get the proper 2 year VAG warranty as the parts are of course genuine with a proper invoice from the dealership.

Hows that sound?

Rich

Offline TurboTrev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »
The kit contains:

Belt
Tensioner
water pump

Does anyone have the part numbers for all of the above bits for an Ed30?  Thanks.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:06 am »

For the cambelt kit and water pump it is £170 delivered (by parcel force).  :happy2: :happy2:

The kit contains:

Belt
Tensioner
water pump

You also get the proper 2 year VAG warranty as the parts are of course genuine with a proper invoice from the dealership.

Hows that sound?

Rich

Sounds good to me, will speak to Mech later this week and get a quote for fittting my supplied parts, I think it should be about 2 hours to do the job maybe 2.5?
Can you give me the guys contact details also?
Cheers

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:17 am »
my cars booked in at the dealers for thursday  :happy2:

will list all parts and numbers when i collect thursday nite  :happy2:

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 08:03:40 am »

The kit contains:

Belt
Tensioner
water pump

Hows that sound?

Rich

Sounds good to me, will speak to Mech later this week and get a quote for fittting my supplied parts, I think it should be about 2 hours to do the job maybe 2.5?
Cheers

For David's contact details:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191165

If you email him during the day, you should get a response within a couple of hours.
Tell him Richard Chung recommended him to you  :happy2:

thanks

Rich

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:45 am »

The kit contains:

Belt
Tensioner
water pump

Hows that sound?

Rich

Cheers

Dont forget your 4 year dsg service too  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:20 am »

The kit contains:

Belt
Tensioner
water pump

Hows that sound?

Rich

Cheers

Dont forget your 4 year dsg service too  :happy2:

DSG service was done in October when the previous owner had Mechatronics replaced under warranty, it clearly shows oil and filter replaced at same time  :happy2: