Make a donation

Author Topic: VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?  (Read 10652 times)

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
Re: VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:51:51 am »
I got a cambelt kit and water pump from Dave at SERE a couple of weeks ago for £128.50 so not sure how much he'll charge you for postage.

You do need to return your old water pump within 30 days but defo a good price.

let me know if you want his phone number.

Cheers

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 10:04:22 am »
I got a cambelt kit and water pump from Dave at SERE a couple of weeks ago for £128.50 so not sure how much he'll charge you for postage.

Cheers

Hi Suave, yes phone number will be usefull (saves me looking it up lol), hopefully the postage wont be £41.50  :surprised: (should be around £10) but is yours an ED30 as prices mioght differ between GTI and Ed30?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:06:30 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 10:22:40 am »
PM sent

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:20 am »
Tamiyoman

Let me know if you didnt get my PM. Not sure about my message box and dont want you hanging on unneccesarily for my PM.

i did send it - i think...

Cheers

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:07 am »
Tamiyoman

Let me know if you didnt get my PM. Not sure about my message box and dont want you hanging on unneccesarily for my PM.

i did send it - i think...

Cheers

Yes I got it, I actually just called him for a price for Ed30 parts, gave him my engine code off Logbook BYD (Hope thats right lol), he is calling me back with a price when he has looked it up, just called my garage asking for price of fitting parts that I sourced, so hopefully get the price down, how long does a Cambelt and waterpump take to change, i seem to think its about 2 to 2.5hrs?

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
I think the max postage Dave charges is £10,but then you would have additional postage for returning the old water pump,make sure you give him your vin number.

Cheers

Hi Suave, yes phone number will be usefull (saves me looking it up lol), hopefully the postage wont be £41.50  :surprised: (should be around £10) but is yours an ED30 as prices mioght differ between GTI and Ed30?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 01:01:00 pm »
I think the max postage Dave charges is £10,but then you would have additional postage for returning the old water pump,make sure you give him your vin number.

Cheers

Dave called me back and told me the Ed30 cambelt and waterpump kit is the same as the BYJ engine Seat (assume thats a Cupra R with K04?), quoted me happy at £167.50 shipped and it will cost me around £3-4 to send back old waterpump, sounds good to me, said I would call him back after my holidays and get that ordered.

Also just spoke to receptionist at local garage and she said cambelt waterpump is approx 4 to 4.5hrs?, sounds a bit much to me?

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 01:05:48 pm »
Tam

4 hours would be right - i got a time quote yesterday from a former VW garage in Belfast and the guy said 4 hours = £168.00.

he's not doing mine though - have baby products to buy i'm afraid.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »
I feel I should offer out a word of caution here -

What's going to happen if the worst happens and the belt snaps or one of the bolts snaps?

I'll tell you what'll happen -

The person fitting will deny any responsibility citing that you supplied the parts and they must have been faulty.  No problem you think, they are genuine VW/Audi and carry a 2 year warranty.

The parts guy at SEAT will say "Well Sir we don't normally have any issues and I've sold hundreds, maybe thousands of these.  It must have been the way it was fitted."

You may be saving a few quid but you could put yourself in a compromising position if you aren't careful.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 01:10:52 pm »

Cheers

Dave called me back and told me the Ed30 cambelt and waterpump kit is the same as the BYJ engine Seat (assume thats a Cupra R with K04?), quoted me happy at £167.50 shipped and it will cost me around £3-4 to send back old waterpump, sounds good to me, said I would call him back after my holidays and get that ordered.

Also just spoke to receptionist at local garage and she said cambelt waterpump is approx 4 to 4.5hrs?, sounds a bit much to me?

Happy days!!!

Maybe email a couple of indys - awesome, psi, amd etc asking for quotes on labour only for the cambelt change? you will get a more accurate picture that way.

whoever you use, make sure they use the genuine G12++ coolant - or even better, order it from Dave - otherwise, the mechanic may charge you extra for supplying the coolant!

Hope this helps

Rich

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »
Unfortunately for my Indy he is still currently £15 MORE than having it done at VW  :surprised: I know VW change belt and tensioner and waterpump but what about rollers and bolts, if they do that it may as well go to VW.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:56 pm »
VW should change the bolts, it's in the repair manual - Often they don't.

The answer is to specifically request it and mark the existing bolts prior to having the work done.
Stu...

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 01:44:26 pm »
VW should change the bolts, it's in the repair manual - Often they don't.

The answer is to specifically request it and mark the existing bolts prior to having the work done.

I just thought the same, I have a tyre marker pen in red/white, could easily put a spot on each.

Will speak to VW when I get bnack off holiday and specifically request that they ensure bolts and rollers are changed over too!, hope fully (due to past transgressions) they should not charge me more in labour to do this as its all off anyway, happy to pay a few quid extra for rollers tho, but nolts should be changed as its recommmended and they come with the kit!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »
I don't think the engine mount bolts are in the belt kit. I would suggest that's why they are often not changed as they are forgotten.
Stu...