Make a donation

Author Topic: VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?  (Read 10651 times)

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: VW ED30 Cam Belt change whats included?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 01:52:35 pm »
I feel I should offer out a word of caution here -

What's going to happen if the worst happens and the belt snaps or one of the bolts snaps?

I'll tell you what'll happen -

The person fitting will deny any responsibility citing that you supplied the parts and they must have been faulty.  No problem you think, they are genuine VW/Audi and carry a 2 year warranty.

The parts guy at SEAT will say "Well Sir we don't normally have any issues and I've sold hundreds, maybe thousands of these.  It must have been the way it was fitted."

You may be saving a few quid but you could put yourself in a compromising position if you aren't careful.

that's what I was thninking.. might be better just to get it done at VW incase anything did happen..they have surplus supplies of parts in germany  :laugh:

but they do make it difficult when they skimp out of doing a proper service like the little things like bolts and rollers etc

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 02:56:31 pm »
Yes will point out to them that the bolts should be changed as per VW recommendations (but not supplied in kit and ordered seperately) and also to change rollers so I have peace of mind for the next 4 years (thats about 16000 miles for me  :happy2:), good news is there are a couple of fitties at VW in Kings Lynn :love: one of them must think i drink about 15 cups of coffee a day as last time I was there a cup of coffee arrived every 20 mins! (I was there 2.5hrs) I drove home fuelled on caffeine  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:58:30 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:23 pm »
let us know as cambelt/waterpump is on my to do list
it would have been done already if I could fully trust a service etc..

just had to renew tax today also..£245 ouch :P

Offline ShaunP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:52 pm »
I got the cambelt/pump/tensioners recently changed at Midland VW for £310 fully inclusive - best price I've seen.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
What about Stafford Audi?

http://www.audicambelt.co.uk/index.php

Bit far to travel, Norfolk to Staffordshire  :happy2:, looks like its going to Kings Lynn VW (17 miles away).

Will have to be very specific when I book it in.

And then remind them when I get there.

1. I want the Cambelt/Water Pump/tensioner service at £419.
2. I want the Rollers changed and the 3 bolts replacing too (3 bolts should be included in charge but VW often forget so im reminding you!), I am happy to pay for rollers cost but not labour cost as its done at same time and you messed up last time! and owe me and im still bringing it to you!, if you get this right I will bring it again!.
3. I would like all the above written clearly on the job sheet to ensure its not missed
4. I will be needing a courtesy car as im not going stomping round kings lynn for 4 hours as there is nothing to do there!
5. I would like to be shown the old cambelt/tensioner/Rollers/waterpump and Bolts to ensure its been done.

Hopefully that will get things sorted.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:22:59 pm by Tamiyoman »

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 04:37:47 pm »

Bit far to travel, Norfolk to Staffordshire  :happy2:, looks like its going to Kings Lynn VW (17 miles away).

OK but gives a benchmark for price matching.

2. I want the Rollers changed and the 3 bolts replacing too (3 bolts should be included in charge but VW often forget so im reminding you!)

As I posted above the bolts are an extra part and not included.

5. I would like to be shown the old cambelt/tensioner/Rollers/waterpump and Bolts to ensure its been done.

Unlikely to achieve much, they could show you any belt/roller/bolts and you'd not be any wiser
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 04:40:45 pm »
I got the cambelt/pump/tensioners recently changed at Midland VW for £310 fully inclusive - best price I've seen.

yes but abit wary after they put new brake discs/pads on my car and they felt worse than my worn out pair.. so yeah.. might have to give them a ring about the brakes before I trust them with cambelt job
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:47:02 pm by reflex11 »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 05:22:55 pm »

Bit far to travel, Norfolk to Staffordshire  :happy2:, looks like its going to Kings Lynn VW (17 miles away).

OK but gives a benchmark for price matching.

yes it did, cheers

2. I want the Rollers changed and the 3 bolts replacing too (3 bolts should be included in charge but VW often forget so im reminding you!)

As I posted above the bolts are an extra part and not included.

but they are recommended by VW and they should do them anyway, this will be raised as to why not included if they recommend it on cambelt service.

Unlikely to achieve much, they could show you any belt/roller/bolts and you'd not be any wiser

not true, as im marking everything I can get to with a pen (tyre letter pen)

If it comes down to me insisting its in one of 2/3 bays next to the service window, I will physically stand there and watch for 4 hours, I have the time!, benefit of being self employed, I also have a huge stubborn streak (runs in the family) and I am a Wolf not a sheep which Is why im not going Revo (Or Superchips, I associate Superchips with Ford!) as I dont want main stream, fancy something different :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:29:54 pm by Tamiyoman »