Make a donation

Author Topic: Brembo Brakes - Edition 30  (Read 9033 times)

Offline mbastow

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Brembo Brakes - Edition 30
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:28 am »
Been doing some internet surfing and have found that Brembo do some OEM discs for very reasonable money (£76 for fronts, £64 for rears).  Ive seen other brake threads on this forum but haven't yet seen anyone say anything about the Brembo's.  Has anyone ever fitted these and does anyone have an opinion on them?  Was also wondering whether to try EBC Redstuff pads.  Reasonable money and seem to be an upgrade to the OEM pads.  Anyone have any thoughts/experience??  Help appreciated...... :happy2:

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Brembo Brakes - Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:48 am »
TBH mate Its not really the standard disc's that are the problem. Its the standard calipers that are poopoo.

The NQSBBK or S3/R32 brakes are the best solution to the Gti/Ed30's shocking brakes.  :happy2:

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:21:24 am »
TBH mate Its not really the standard disc's that are the problem. Its the standard calipers that are poopoo.

The NQSBBK or S3/R32 brakes are the best solution to the Gti/Ed30's shocking brakes.  :happy2:

+1 but i'm saving for the NQSBBK Porsche set-up, i think it looks ace  :happy2:

standard set is a pile of sh*te, how the hell thats on the GTI is anyones guess.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:32:15 pm »
Been doing some internet surfing and have found that Brembo do some OEM discs for very reasonable money (£76 for fronts, £64 for rears).  Ive seen other brake threads on this forum but haven't yet seen anyone say anything about the Brembo's.  Has anyone ever fitted these and does anyone have an opinion on them?  Was also wondering whether to try EBC Redstuff pads.  Reasonable money and seem to be an upgrade to the OEM pads.  Anyone have any thoughts/experience??  Help appreciated...... :happy2:
Personally I found the red stuff ceramic compound to be over-rated, pedal feel was incredibly wooden with no modulation in terms of feel. There are far better compounds out there, but it depends on how precious you are about your wheels/calipers.
If the latter is not an issue, I'd go with Carbotech pads everytime.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:44:48 pm »
I never thought the OE set up was that bad, even at stage 1 it did the job, then I fitted S3 fronts and realised I was wrong....!   :driver:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
having switched to TArox 10 pot brakes I don't think the standard brakes are that bad. The biggest advantage of big brake kit is on the track as they don't fade compared to standard under very heavy constant braking, on daily basis there is no difference at all, you can lock the wheels with standard brakes...
I was expecting a shock but it's very similar to standard

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »
I have to say, the difference between OE and S3 is literally night and day, that could be due to the 6 ft diameter piston in the S3 caliper though???  :laugh:

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:23:59 pm »
EBC pads  :sick:

On my polo G40 the brakes were crap, put EBC pads in and they felt even worse, had to stamp on the pedal to get a feel! Once the wear in period was over they were still crap, took them out to replace them an the pad face had come awy from the backing plate!!!  :scared: done my research and found this was pretty common with EBC brakes,

Thought I'd give them another chance on my dads scooby....guess what happened! Yep the baking plate came away from the pad material again!  :fighting: started to crumble up!

I will never ever use EBC brakes again,

My brakes (fronts) will need replacing soon but i will just use OEM pads for now untill i can find some R32 ones for £300  :laugh:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »
Standard brake aint that bad at all. I have just fitted OEM pads and disks from skoda and the difference between them and that from eurocarparts is massive.

The eurocarparts pagid caused massive brake fade with a spirited drive.

Since fitting genuine bits and doing same drive not one bit of brake fade yet.

But of course s3, 6 pots, 8pots would be awesome espcially if your planning track days

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:55:45 pm »
Standard brake aint that bad at all. I have just fitted OEM pads and disks from skoda and the difference between them and that from eurocarparts is massive.

Shure you've bedded them in properly.  :smiley:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »
Yep. Lol
just saying my experience between pagids from ecp and oem.

But seriously I think oem are fine unless tracking

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »

Shure you've bedded them in properly.  :smiley:

I am not sure now, I think i did although very disappointed as they feel exactly the same as stock.... How are yours compared to stock? I noticed you have tarox as well
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 11:35:43 pm »
I only run Tarox discs (F2000) on stock calipers with brake stiffening kit and Ferodo DS Performance pads.  :ashamed:

Feels good though. Better bite, better modulation. I was thinking with a BBK feel is further improved.
Wonder why you don't feel much of an improvement.  :sad1: Glad to read such a honest statement.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 08:01:43 am »
EBC - through a contact I could get their pads at a knocked down price. I tried red stuff on one car, and yellow stuff on a track car. Red stuff were terrible on the road, and yellow stuff were horrid on track.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Supersonic
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:54:38 am »
I only run Tarox discs (F2000) on stock calipers with brake stiffening kit and Ferodo DS Performance pads.  :ashamed:

Feels good though. Better bite, better modulation. I was thinking with a BBK feel is further improved.
Wonder why you don't feel much of an improvement.  :sad1: Glad to read such a honest statement.

I am very disappointed with mine to be frank compared to stock. It feels very much the same.... I am going to a garage tomorrow so will ask them to take a look. I presume they would be able to tell that they bedded or not bedded in properly.
My missus car which is mark 5 gt dsg has brakes miles better then my gti with 10 pot tarox bbk kit. They look totally stock but with dsg brakes I think are slightly different due to different use etc as little engine braking. They have great force and modulation which I miss in my gti. Was hoping to get it with bbk...