Make a donation

Author Topic: Cold Starting issue soon after twintake install...  (Read 5279 times)

Saintsteve

Cold Starting issue soon after twintake install...
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:57:04 pm »
Wonder if anyone knows or has any idea what could be wrong...

Since having my twintake installed, the car from Cold starts is extremily lumpy on idle... Kind of like the days of when an engine on manual choke would be, hunting and sounds rough as hell, also on warm up , it happens when the idle speed is normally around 1100 untill the revs drop back to normal 750 after around a couple of minutes its then absolutely smooth as anything.. No issue actually starting but its a lumpy as the wifes Porridge  :sad1:

Also whether this is another issue, what i did notice yesturday is at top end im getting either a missfire or pulling back on the engine above 5000rpm in 4th and above gears, im hoping its not what i think it might be (fuel Cut) but could it be failing Bosch plugs? that were changed 5000k ago, ive checked VCDS and no miss fires are showing...
Ive yet to log the car since the intake, but Superchips did knock back the boost levels to help the way the car drives on my request.
Any idea's would be great..
Thanx in advance.

Ps I know Brakes are nothing to do with this fault, so before the bright sparks jump in with witty comments....  :grin:

If its fuel cuts then a 4 month old twintake and spare engine cover with be in the classifieds shortly....
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:55:26 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Cold Starting issue since twintake install...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:44 pm »
I suggest you go and do some logs.  :smiley:

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:14 pm »
Steve, I don't know what the problem is but I didn't experience any lumpy starts when the Twintake was on my car.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:01 pm »
Where can i buy these New NGK spark plugs from? are the dealers selling them?

I will Ian once i have the cold start running sorted out, which im sure will sort the Miss-fire at top end out aswell.. fingers crossed.

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
GTI going...

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:47 pm »
Steve this the best and cheapest i've found for the plugs ( also the link thats in the product review section  :happy2: )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320797953741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

h4rdy

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:55:07 pm »
Hi Steve,

I had some very similar issues with my twintake.
I sold mine eventually due to not liking the noise.
I was expecting similar levels of performance to my BDM Intake which was wild on 2+ 9-5-9 but I had to back the settings off as the timing pull was horrendous.
It felt like the car was not faster than standard.
It is now back to 9-5-9 on a pipercross panel, soon to be an ITG Maxogen CAI.
I didn't want to make any comments on here as a lot of people like them but I am not so sure they are that good.

J

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:58:33 pm »
Alterations to ecu maps are quite commonly required following the installation of an intake. Cant see it being the cause of a cold start issue though.

Saintsteve

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:09:14 pm »
Alterations to ecu maps are quite commonly required following the installation of an intake. Cant see it being the cause of a cold start issue though.

I did speak to Superchips and they said that their stage 2 map wouldnt require any adjustments having a CAI to suit their Stage 2 Map??

h4rdy

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »
Its a bit strange as the BDM was perfect but Ill see how the ITG is and report back.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

I did speak to Superchips and they said that their stage 2 map wouldnt require any adjustments having a CAI to suit their Stage 2 Map??

How is this known to be a fact without datalogging?  Our stg1 is 'usually' fine with stock and cars with exhaust, intake etc... But theres always a few that throw up some issues, datalogging and alterations to the map fixes these few. Is it the maps fault? No. Is it the changes made to the hardware? Yes.

This is why generic mapping is never an exact science, 'should be fine' isnt the same as 'we have datalogged, dyno tested, road tested and created a perfect map for your car'

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pmca0hl609gafnbgrsbfasjqim&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:19 pm »

....but could it be failing Bosch plugs? that were changed 5000k ago,

Well if you will leave it 5 million miles between changing the plugs....  :P

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »

Yes but your car isn't running the normal stage 2 as the fuel pump couldn't keep up.  :popcornsoda:

Saintsteve

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:53:41 pm »

Yes but your car isn't running the normal stage 2 as the fuel pump couldn't keep up.  :popcornsoda:

To be fair Ian, the car has been 100% Terrific infact for 10 days or so since the intake was fittedwith no power loss or Bad idling, so the more i think about it, its not going to be a map or fueling issue as it would of been an issue from day 1.
Plugs are on there way, ill go from there, if not the Intake and Engine cover will be up for grabs as a bundle ..

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:55:52 pm »

:popcornsoda: