Make a donation

Author Topic: Decat being fitted today  (Read 4690 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Decat being fitted today
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:33:48 am »
Getting this fitted today (not actual product in image)

Just a little anxious about how loud it will be - It is used so I am hoping the carbon deposits will hell make the exhaust sound a little quieter as its been "broken in", mated to a resonated milly should I be concerned about drone or waking the neighbours at night?

Also - has anyone had any experience with sound deadening or insulation to help eleminate road noise? e.g. when your driving on a motorway the noise you get inside the cabin from the wheels and passing cars when your passing other cars.

Thanks in advanced

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
Re: Decat being fitted today
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:35 am »
what make is that?

Noise from the decat won't be too loud (amount of noise does depend on the wall thickness of the tubing)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:30 am »
its this one here http://racebits.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_100&products_id=362

its not actually that one though, there isn't a makers stamp or identification on mine as I bought it second hand but it looks like a magnex one or similar, feels very well built and weld marks are very well done. the walls seem reasonably thick, not too thick but then not thin enough to make me worry about how strong it is.

I might heat wrap it when I get it home, I've heard that can reduce some of the noise (dont ask me how - something about reverberation yadda yadda yadda)

Oh, Do you supply revision D valves by the off chance? or have any lying around?

Offline Ledreyer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:54:50 am »
It's not loud by doing only down pipe decat..I did this to my mk6 first then wanted something  louder!!!

GTI Mk6
Revo stage 2 , full Milltek decat ,  full CAI APR.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:01 am »
It's not loud by doing only down pipe decat..I did this to my mk6 first then wanted something  louder!!!

:evilgrin: I might end up going that way but I think the motorway driving etc will prevent me. Iv done the whole v.v.v.loud exhaust before and loved it for the first few months then wanted to kill myself afterwards! funny thing is it stayed on for 2 years  :signLOL:

Offline Ledreyer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 09:03:48 am »
Haha,go For an milltek exhaust,that's what I have and don't have an drone at all!!!but I think youl be happy with the dp only!!!!if not fit some rear exhaust tips 76mm or 80 mm they also make a slight noise improvement!!!

GTI Mk6

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 09:07:20 am »
Getting this fitted today (not actual product in image)

mated to a resonated milly should I be concerned about drone or waking the neighbours at night?

already is  :happy2: resonated which im happy with at the moment, nice and quite when I want and gets a little louder with the gofast pedal  :smiley:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 01:39:27 pm »
just popped round to see the ol'girl and what they were doing to her. well she's on the ramps just not had any work done yet - his starting now and said he just wanted to double check that i understood i was about to loss the cats and a light will come up on my dash. I cannot believe how skinny the normal pipe is and the first cat seems soooo small! It was really rusty as well  :confused:

just one other question he asked if it was alright to use the same gasket, I presumed it would be? or won't it? it'll have to do for now..

Offline Ledreyer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:46:17 pm »
just popped round to see the ol'girl and what they were doing to her. well she's on the ramps just not had any work done yet - his starting now and said he just wanted to double check that i understood i was about to loss the cats and a light will come up on my dash. I cannot believe how skinny the normal pipe is and the first cat seems soooo small! It was really rusty as well  :confused:

just one other question he asked if it was alright to use the same gasket, I presumed it would be? or won't it? it'll have to do for now..

It's fine by using the old flansh gasket aka dp gasket ..aslong as it's not whopped..

GTI Mk6

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »
 :happy2: thanks I can't wait to pick it up after work  :grin:

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 05:24:23 pm »
Woooot. I have decat downpipe mated to standard, when you give it the beans it sounds  :evilgrin:

Offline Ledreyer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 05:28:40 pm »
Woooot. I have decat downpipe mated to standard, when you give it the beans it sounds  :evilgrin:

He asked if he drives normal and slow..

GTI Mk6

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »
How much difference have you noticed in the way the engine performs? Do you have any lights up? Seems like a really cheap option considering what the other brands are asking. Do you have any feedback on the installation, any issues?

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »
I never had any issues with lights before and after mapping. Pretty straight forward enough to fit just ensure engine is stone cold before trying to undo studs. :happy2:

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55:00 pm »

Same here  :smiley:

Not to noisey when you don't want it to be, but when you open it up it sounds well.

Engine light on after 100 miles