Make a donation

Author Topic: do you get much wheel spin in a dsg in the dry?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline celica

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 0
do you get much wheel spin in a dsg in the dry?
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:46:07 pm »
so the gti/ remapped/ ed30/ remapped ed 30 etc. do you get much wheel spin in it with the dsg when giving it some beans in the dry?

i can understand it wheel spinning in the wet due to traction, but how about in the dry?

i'm thinking if it does start to spin and loose traction in the dry, does the dsg not do lightening quick up shifts through the gears to minimise this?
MKV Golf DSG

Offline Moschops

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Re: do you get much wheel spin in a dsg in the dry?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 11:53:01 pm »
I've never had mine wheelspin.

You not bought a car yet? :driver:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline Rich

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 12:16:15 am »
I have GT TSi 170ps remppaed to 198bhp.

I had 17" GT Sport wheels and wheels spun with ESP off. ( flooring from 1st gear )

I have 19" BBS now, with ESP off, wheels dont spin at all - better take off now  :smiley:
~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Glenn

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:01:04 am »
std powered gti and yes can wheel spin in wet and dry with esp on and off but i drive like an animal sometimes  :innocent:

Offline celica

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:23:55 am »
I've never had mine wheelspin.

You not bought a car yet? :driver:

i assumed given it some beans in a gti and more so remapped gti/ed30 the front wheels would light up if not balancing the throttle and upshifting (experienced by the high revving celica i used to have)

as for car, nope ;-(
was offered a members gti, but price didn't weigh up for. i think having tried a R32, for a little bit more (time and saving), i could get a R.

having been in a gti manual, little disappointed as it was a first gti i driven and didn't sparkle as much as i thought.
hence asking about a remap. i think the ed30 would be a better choice with the k04, having come from a k04 audi tt remapped. and again if i got one i would be tempted with a remap, but the amount of power going through the front wheel makes me wary.
MKV Golf DSG

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:32:11 am »

If you boot it hard whether in the dry or wet, you can get wheelspin. It also depends on the state of your tyres.

Booting it hard is a very inefficient way of maximising acceleration. Learn to use your throttle progressively - You'll get going faster and your tyres will last longer and there'll be less strain on your car - It's really a no-brainer.

In the various and gradual stages of modifying my car I have found that suspension mods and then Quaife ATB diff have greatly reduced any wheelspin. If wheelspin happens, the Quaife is extremely fast at grabbing it but it cannot stop wheelspin happening - It's just very rare.

If I get wheelspin I consider that I'm not driving properly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:33:51 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 11:59:31 am »
I think just about anyone can get a GTI to light up the wheels in the dry....you just have to be brutal to do it. A mapped GTI/ED30 will light up the wheels easier. :wink: but having said that I don't recommend it as the plod don't like it. :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 12:34:00 pm »
Mine will light up in first if the tyres are cold, once they have a bit of temp in them then its just grip whatever gear your in..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128