Make a donation

Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 1114 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Kony 2012
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:00:21 pm »
Please watch (I know it's long)  :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:45 pm »
my reply from ed38:

i think the filmmaker is more interested in getting his face out there than african children.

there's nothing i can't stand more than someone with personal gain on their agenda who's trying to wrap it up in a noble cause.

this Kony character needs to be stopped, so i'll let the politicians worry about that and get on with my life. the last thing i'm going to do is buy a box of posters and bill post and graffiti where i live in the hope that someone actually takes notice. i'll sign the petition tho, fair enough to that.

but since then i've been doing some reading:

the charity has declined a full investigation into it's accounts, the guy who made the video apparently earns $90k from the charity a year BEFORE expenses (which includes those bloody expensive cameras, trips to africa etc.)

and they're also being accused of fraud now

PLUS they're lobbying for military action! wtf? i don't wanna be dragged into another war just because the US got it's foot stuck in it's mouth

and one of the goals of the charity is to send money to the Ugandan military - well hold on, the video has admitted Kony isn't even in Uganda, so wtf can they do about it?

complete waste of time.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »
$90k!!! Complete waste of time????

I think you are being a bit harsh there matey?

He is hardly on bank boss wages.

Complete waste of time..... :confused:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »
another source states around 30% of the money raised actually makes it to the cause they're fighting for - i don't support it, sorry. this is clearly a moneymaking scheme for someone. 
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:40:41 pm »
Yeah Nowt to do with kids. :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »
ok so what about child soldiers in other parts of Africa? what about paedophilia in Thailand, or exploitation in Afghanistan? what about children of war in Palestine and Israel? what about child abuse in this country? watching a 30 minute video doesn't mean you care and ignores the bigger picture.

and you have to question the motives of a person who sets up a charity and then gives himself and 2 of his friends $90k each and that again in expenses? yes it's not banker money, but someone who truly cared would appreciate that nearly $600k would be better off in the hands of poor children in africa

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 10:49:34 pm »
It's wrong end of.

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:28 pm »
It's wrong end of.

nobody's denying that, but i don't get why this has become such a big thing all of a sudden. people didn't care yesterday, and now feel all righteous because they've watched a video. i show i care in other ways, i have other charities i support. i support the message of the video, but there's something fishy about this particular charity and i'm not the only one who thinks so.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • Global Ruler
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 11:15:45 pm »
ok so what about child soldiers in other parts of Africa? what about paedophilia in Thailand, or exploitation in Afghanistan? what about children of war in Palestine and Israel? what about child abuse in this country? watching a 30 minute video doesn't mean you care and ignores the bigger picture.

and you have to question the motives of a person who sets up a charity and then gives himself and 2 of his friends $90k each and that again in expenses? yes it's not banker money, but someone who truly cared would appreciate that nearly $600k would be better off in the hands of poor children in africa

What???  :confused:

Imagine how people would slag him off then?
He is trying to change one thing. It's one thing that affected him enough when he saw it first hand to try and do something about it.

I didn't post this to have an argument with the Victor Meldrews......"meh bloody kids"  :grin:

BTW....Are you calling me "righteous"?

I'm simply posting a video in the random chat section of a car forum!
I'm not tell you to spend your mod money, and neither is the guy in the video.
Like he says there are 3 things you can do.

You even said you would sign the petition  :P. which I think is about as righteous as I would get too...... but I think you just jumped to the conclusion that I was gonna sell my car and turn Lincoln red with posters, just cos I watched a YouTube vid and got all righteous. :booty:

You wrote...
"this Kony character needs to be stopped, so i'll let the politicians worry about that and get on with my life. the last thing i'm going to do is buy a box of posters and bill post and graffiti where i live in the hope that someone actually takes notice. i'll sign the petition tho, fair enough to that."

Like I said I didn't post this to argue with you. So go ahead and waffle on as much as u like  :smiley:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:22:41 pm »
my comments are not directed at you, just "general waflle" directed at the state of affairs when media hype can dictate what's important and what's not important.

yesterday nobody cared. now everyone's an activist. this is not something that should be commended.

also i don't feel that supporting a message from a charity who is proposing military action as a solution is the right thing to do. it makes me disagree fundamentally with the video. the fact that their accounts are now suspect just adds to my reservation.

any decision one makes, i feel, should be a purposeful and educated one, based on a balanced review of the available information. there are enough criticisms of the video's makers for one to seriously think before spreading their message. you've decided to spread it, i've decided to criticise it. that's all.

i'm out. enjoy your wknd  :happy2: