Make a donation

Author Topic: Bull dogs  (Read 2350 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: Bull dogs
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 09:35:38 am »
cost should never be a factor, its about the right dog

our spaniel was well over £700, by balance that out over how many years they live for and its not that crazy imho

you buy more than a dog, you buy a family member  :innocent:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:11 am »
Bulldogs are twice that, though. That's just silly money...

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:21:45 am »
Bulldogs are twice that, though. That's just silly money...

its to do with demand as in london every chav/wanna be drug dealer has one, seems to be the latest fashion accessory and a really thick metal chain is a must apparently...

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline nads1_uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25:43 am »
Thats was my point in a round about kind of way.

My bulldog was £2000, insurance is £80 per month and food about £40.

What is was meaning was don't get one if money is tight because as a general rule bulldogs will need to go to the vets more often as they suffer from breathing problems, skin issues and joint problems to name a few.  I personally would beg steal and borrow to get the money if she needed any vet work but having the insurance is a massive weight off - if she needs anything I take her to the vets and the insurance pays.

Totally agree with the family member thought doesn't matter how crap my days' been I see her and my neo and after being with them for no more than 5 minutes alls well in the world.

Andy

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 12:43:15 pm »
I feed my 2 dogs for around £20 a month and have no insurance, as the breed has no inherent defects and as a result they're both fit and healthy. Couldn't be doing with something high maintenance and that cost me quarter of a pretty decent car in the first place!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »
as above i had insurance for years on both my dogs but stopped it years ago as the excess covered most things so was not worth it

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 12:56:06 pm »
I had it and never used it. Knocked it on the head when we got pooch junior, as the premium more than doubled for 2 dogs. So much for bulk discount!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »
as above i had insurance for years on both my dogs but stopped it years ago as the excess covered most things so was not worth it

We pay £22 per month to cover off any eventualities for 2x Jack Russells. A big vet bill (and some of my relatives have been stung) can be many thousands. We had to have our dogs claw removed down the quick last Saturday. Operation and all treatments so far is in excess of £230. Which we can claim back (apart from our £60 excess).

Offline rob172cup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »
We've never had a dog so all the info is excellent guys, I'm just looking on the kennel club and 2 dogs the daughter has seen Siberian Husky and a Bulldog there is some pure breeds on Oodle Marketplace and also some available on the find a puppy on the kennel club.

Darren

I don't know much about bulldogs but I have a husky and they are very hard work, she malts alot and twice a year she sheds her coat and no matter how bad you think it is trust me your not thinking bad enough. She is very strong minded so you have to be tough and strict. If she is off the lead she chooses when to come back.

I have four dogs in total and the husky is harder work than the other three put together . But on the other hand she is very loving and well behaved in the house but you do have to be firm with her. If you give her an inch she will take a mile.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 07:05:04 pm »
Hi my Brother bought a french Bulldog and it has cost a fortune to buy and a fortune ever since in vet bills . Research your breed and talk to other Bulldog owners beware off the sellers .My brother is huge and had to be stopped from going round and battering the breader due to the heartache etc with his bulldog ,The breeder suggested swapping it but that wasn't the point his kids had fallen in love with it ,Vet bills in the last year have come to more than 2k.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »
Get an Irish Terrier instead. They're great with kids (if that's a requirement), don't get sick, don't require insurance, don't eat much, are happy with whatever exercise you're willing to supply and you'll be helping out a breed on the vulnerable breeds list.

Cutest puppies ever, too!

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:48 pm »
hey Morty, we have had two in the family for the last 15 odd years, unfortunately Humphrey passed away a couple of years ago  but the latest addition to the family is Hugo, he's just turned 2.

The breed are amazing, Loyal, very protective, pretty obedient (when they want to be) great with Children and other dogs.  As Nads said, dispite their appearance they are fit and strong dogs and need a good amount of exercise. 

In all our years we have never really had any problems with the dogs health wise although i do know they are prone to certain breathing problems, pet insurance is a must.  Lastly they are expensive to buy, Hugo cost just over £2,000 ....

if you want to ask any specific questions pm me at anytime....

anyway a thumbs up from me, best of luck! :)

here he is Hugo.....

oh, and ours tends to think he's a cat choosing to spend most of his time walking along the tops of the sofa before more often than not falling off....