Make a donation

Author Topic: Best track day tyres for road use!  (Read 3057 times)

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Best track day tyres for road use!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »
Be prepared for lots of road noise, often a droning, if you run 888s on the road.

Not a great tyre for the road in my opinion. They're designed to run at a higher temp' than normal road tyre compounds, and to really get them to shine you have to work them very hard.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a very good road tyre, and stand up to track abuse better than most. I'm not sure what sizes they are currently available in, but believe the range has been expanded.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 10:35:03 pm »
I know some people are runnng Toyo T1 Sports on the track and rate them for grip etc.  I use them on the road and cant fault them one bit.
:surprised: :surprised:

they are by far the worst tyre i have ever used.  i took them off after about 4000miles.  Good in standing water and thats where their talents ended IMO.  Show them a dry track and they just overheat

I think you might be confusing them with the T1Rs as the T1 Sports are a different compound and a dual compound at that.  However the T1Rs arent that bad as they use them on Drift cars in Japan (come rain or shine) and they heat up pretty well and still remain grippy enough to control the drift. To control a good drift you need two things.  Good tyres and power!  
I had the T1Rs on my Focus RS and it felt like it was on rails.  The T1 Sports on my Octy are very grippy and I would buy again without any hesitation.  A lot of problems found with tyres is not the tyre itself but driving style. People tend to lift of mid corner , brake into corners causing an unbalance in the car and at times all the cars weight is on one corner and then its bye bye tarmac, hello hedge! Thats why race drivers left foot brake as they keep the power on to load the car and use the brake to control the speed round the corner.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:49:13 pm by 56OctyVRS »
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 10:43:15 pm »
Well I've never bought em but if you want a really good road/track tyre, I was really impressed with Nathan's (Greeners) YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC 2's.

I don't know if they were slicks at the time, but we were stuck to the ring.  :notworthy:

Im getting a set next.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mkusj0827ou3k27e2ku7qsunvc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46:20 pm »
Goodyear F1 v2, loads of grip and they won't stab you in the back if it's wet. :-)

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 10:58:18 pm »
I couldnt fault parada spec 2s either, Open pit lane at Brands and didnt let me down. The tyres seemed to last a long time also!
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 11:05:13 pm »
I'm plenty capable on track mate, I'm pretty happy trail braking so I guess I'm hard on tyres as a result but all my tyres suffer the same, those tyres are crap, simple as that.  I'm directly comparing the T1Rs to vrededteins, eagle f1s, PS2s, conti 3s and pilot exaltos.  All were much better than the T1Rs with no change in driving style or car.

So IMO either the T1Rs are good and the others are awesome, or the T1Rs are crap and the others are good.  Its all relative and of course subjective, but I would never buy them again.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:07:32 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:12 pm »
I couldnt fault parada spec 2s either, Open pit lane at Brands and didnt let me down. The tyres seemed to last a long time also!

These seem to get a very mixed recrption. I speak to some who really rate them for grip.  Others have suffered savage delamination and quick drop office in performance.  All say poor in the wet though.  Old design now, but cheap

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28:20 pm »
4 x 15" £170 delivered for my old car, could not complain! I have just spent £220 GY Asy 2 for 2 lol!

Parada > T1R IMO!
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:32 am »
Having had T1R on the last 3 cars (all different chassis) and my father having them on all of his cars and not having any problems with them, I dont think thre tyres are crap.  Esle why would people keep buying them and giving them good reviews.  If you look on other car forums about the T1Rs you will see they give them good reviews for road/track and not just ones on the VAG platform.  I drive cars fitted with Goodyear effficient grip at speed on the roads (all legal) and never had an issue with them and they arent the best gripping or handling tyre in the world.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 09:54:48 am »
Surprised noone has mentioned the Toyo R1R yet  :surprised:

Best track tyre for the road is IMO the Toyo R1R, all the grip you want including in damp and wet conditions, very predictable at the limit.
Best road tyre occationally used on track is by far the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, just a shame the 225/40-10" haven't been released yet, or i would have had them again.

R888 i would rate for pure track due to noise and mentioned before they will never hit operating temps on the road, thus being a waste of good tyre for that use.  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:30 am »

These seem to get a very mixed recrption. I speak to some who really rate them for grip.  Others have suffered savage delamination and quick drop office in performance.  All say poor in the wet though.  Old design now, but cheap

Yeah, the cheap price is the main factor for such a capable tyre. (I was very impressed by them)
I was thinking about sticking a set on the TD1.2's for trips like Nurburgring.