Make a donation

Author Topic: Sorry, I'm still confused.  (Read 3703 times)

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Sorry, I'm still confused.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »
You might also find tardis in smaller quantities on eBay instead of 5L's. Some people split it into 1L's with a chemical spray head.

Failing that auto glym intensive tar remover. Not as good but does the job required.

PM for details

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 02:26:55 pm »

Thanks Craig, I've already got the Autoglym Intensive tar remover from my FOC kit from signing up for Autocar!

Do you need to do every panel, including the roof?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 02:57:05 pm »
Only really the lower panels of the car will have tar, then spot remove any others you find. That's unless you drive it like you stole it, then there may be some of the roof, back window etc.  :driver:

PM for details

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 03:25:15 pm »
i'd be very careful with tardis, wear some latex gloves x2 pairs ,goggles and a mask for your mouth, don't leave it on too long say 1-2 mins max and wipe it off straight away, and rinse it off

don't worry about polishing.. I didn't bother because to be honest hand polishing is really no where near as good as machine polishing so just make sure the car is clean then protect it with some wax/sealant.
and I don't have a garage to learn/use a machine polisher so that was out the question

I applied FK1000 in October and it's still on! even though I want to do some fresh coats this week this is what I will be doing

billberry the wheels - leave on for 2-3 mins then pressure wash off

pressure wash the car to losen any dirt

snow foam the car with some PH Neutral Snow mixed with a little bit of maxi suds II
leave to dwell for 10-15 mins

Pressure wash off

2 bucket method with a lambswool mitt and maxi suds II as the shampoo doing panel by panel pressure wash off

then use tardis on effected areas leave on for 1-2mins wipe off with a microfibre cloth you don't want, then rinse off untill its all gone

pressure wash again for precaution of the tardis and shampoo the car again

use clay bar with some clay lube go all over the car to get anything you may have missed

shampoo again then rinse

dry the car and use a cleanser I use carlack68 Nano Systematic Care

after that your ready to put your wax/sealant on

I use FK1000 2-3 coats to make sure i've covered the whole car

then I use FinishKare #425 - Ultra Slick Polywipe for that extra slick look

and just the usual bits at the end like glass, wheels, tyres

Offline Grawschbags

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Re: Re: Sorry, I'm still confused.
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »
don't worry about polishing.. I didn't bother because to be honest hand polishing is really no where near as good as machine polishing so just make sure the car is clean then protect it with some wax/sealant.
and I don't have a garage to learn/use a machine polisher so that was out the question

I'd disagree to an extent with that. Granted you wont see anywhere near the level of correction you would if using a machine polisher, but for the reasons stated above; the polish contains fillers that will slightly mask the swirl marks. If you're not going to use a glaze, I would definitely do the polishing stage, then seal.

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 04:07:28 pm »
sorry im a perfectionist i'd rather not do somthing if its not going to be 100% thats why I leave out hand polishng :scared:

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:59 pm »
sorry im a perfectionist i'd rather not do somthing if its not going to be 100% thats why I leave out hand polishng :scared:

Hand polishing can be very effective if done correctly. Obviously machining is going to be better for defect removal. But not everyone wants or can justify this.

PM for details

Offline suave

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Re: Sorry, I'm still confused.
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:45 pm »

Having a good wax doesn't necessarily mean you will have a nice and shiny car. The end result is all to do with the preparation you do beforehand I.e discontaminating the paint either through claying, deironising and detarring. If you put in the effort in the early stages, you will reap the rewards when you've applied the wax.

"dis contaminate" your car - seriously?!?!?!?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:09 pm »
+1 for hand polishing. Better than nothing.

clicky - DW's hand polish test.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »
+1 for hand polishing. Better than nothing.

clicky - DW's hand polish test.

I've had a really good close look at my paintwork this weekend after all the great advice I've been getting, and I reckon there is quite a lot to be corrected, too much to do by hand. So my lovely Mrs is getting me a DA polisher for my birthday next month!

I reckon the DAS-6 Pro will be the one, as other threads suggest this is really good for those who will only be polishing 3 or 4 times a year. So now all I need to know is what is the best polish to use with this? Sorry, you must be getting fed up with this!

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Grawschbags

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Re: Re: Sorry, I'm still confused.
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 08:02:30 pm »

I reckon the DAS-6 Pro will be the one, as other threads suggest this is really good for those who will only be polishing 3 or 4 times a year. So now all I need to know is what is the best polish to use with this? Sorry, you must be getting fed up with this!

I have the DAS-6 Pro, it's a good bit of kit.  I would seriously look at the Meguiars MF correction system.  Two types of pad and two types of compound.  Works well on the hard VW paint.  Got the kit coming for mine.

Offline reflex11

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 08:27:53 pm »
wish I had a garage to do some machine polishing!! :sad1:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »
Don't take this the wrong way at all it's jut a suggestion

And don't feel bad about asking for advice it's what were here for  :happy2:

Have you thought about getting the car detailed and then you can jut maintain it? The detailer will be happy to give you advice on products to use and keep topped up and whats involved, may even be worth asking if you could oversee the detail like jonny-tro wants to with me, i like knowing the customer wants to maintain my hard work Seems respectful  :smiley:

The above is only if your not 100% sure on what your doing, could be best spending the money on a detail insted of products
Hope this helps and please note I'm trying to scare you and I'm not implying you don't know what your doing as the only way to learn is to try  :happy2:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 09:03:31 pm »
Thanks a lot Jack, I really appreciate your comments.

The truth is I don't know what I'm doing!

I think your idea is an excellent one, and then I could get the kit together to maintain it. The paintwork does need a lot of polishing, and I reckon it would benefit from a professional detail.

As a decorator, I pick things like this up pretty quickly, so I think with some guidance I could do a good job of maintaining the work of a detailer. It would also be a lot better to learn how to do the different stages without such a lot to achieve.

I will give this some consideration, but I'm still going to buy the products and DAS-6 Pro!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 09:24:34 am »
Thanks a lot Jack, I really appreciate your comments.

The truth is I don't know what I'm doing!

I think your idea is an excellent one, and then I could get the kit together to maintain it. The paintwork does need a lot of polishing, and I reckon it would benefit from a professional detail.

As a decorator, I pick things like this up pretty quickly, so I think with some guidance I could do a good job of maintaining the work of a detailer. It would also be a lot better to learn how to do the different stages without such a lot to achieve.

I will give this some consideration, but I'm still going to buy the products and DAS-6 Pro!

No problem  :happy2:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!