Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza II whiteworm, time for a change?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Monza II whiteworm, time for a change?
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:14:58 pm »
Hi everyone, well its lasted nearly year, longer than I was expecting for my refurbed alloys to stay immaculate, the dreaded white worm has started appearing on one of the alloys:

Despite my best efforts to wash them weekly with Blackfire Gel Wheel cleaner and wax them monthly with Collinite 476s

So what are my options guys?

I was told by S.E.M (who did a great job for what its worth) that theyd probably stay immaculate for a few months before deteriorating, and that because theyve been machine polished once they would not be able to refurb them again. Can anyone confirm this?

Would it be possible to have them just powder coated regular silver whilst keeping the inserts black as they are now?

Or am I best selling these whilst theyre still pretty good condition and going for something different? My car is a standard KO3 GTI in reflex silver if anyone has any ideas for replacement alloys.

Thanks in advance guys

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Monza II whiteworm, time for a change?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »
Look at Holtys car. Reflex silver with Detroits. Great combo.

Offline Andy_GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
Im going through the MK5/6 Wheel thread as we speak, you dont have a link do you?  :smiley:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »

Is that normal for it to only last a few months to a year after re-furb?

Does anyone know how long Lepsons reckon it should last if they do the work?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »
If you love the look of diamond cut, but don't want the whiteworm, then get them powdercoated in black chrome (also called smoked chrome).  Best of both worlds, and recommended by many here:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42652.msg504854.html#msg504854

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline jimble

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »
I'd probably refurb them to look like detroits, ie black with a polished lip, would look nice on reflex silver imo.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:39 pm »
The best way to guarantee no white worm is to powdercoat:  http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html

Jeeze! seeing those pics I forgot how bad I let mine go!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:14:14 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:53 pm »
The smoked chrome powder coating on that top link looks really good. would it be possible to have the inserts powder coats or even sprayed black?

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:20:47 am »
The smoked chrome powder coating on that top link looks really good. would it be possible to have the inserts powder coats or even sprayed black?

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41345.msg487168.html#msg487168

YEP :drool:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 05:48:56 am »
That's a great write-up Robin,  :congrats:

You say "Showing the grey 'inserts' and clean edge join to the diamond-cut face. This can only be achieved by firstly powdercoating the whole wheel in grey and then cutting back to the raw alloy on the face and then lacquering it".

Does this powdercoating mean the whiteworm will be banished long-term? (or until re-kerbed, and allowing it back in)

I've got a Lepsons refurb on my list, but at 100 a corner I don't think I'll bother if it's only to last 6 to 12 months. I'd rather put the money towards some BBS Ed30 rims. But I love the look of the Monza18's so much.  :drool:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:04:21 am »

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41345.msg487168.html#msg487168

YEP :drool:

....Hey! Those look pretty cool, Chowgar - First time I've seen your pics.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:12:53 am »

That's a great write-up Robin,  :congrats:

You say "Showing the grey 'inserts' and clean edge join to the diamond-cut face. This can only be achieved by firstly powdercoating the whole wheel in grey and then cutting back to the raw alloy on the face and then lacquering it".

Does this powdercoating mean the whiteworm will be banished long-term? (or until re-kerbed, and allowing it back in)

I've got a Lepsons refurb on my list, but at 100 a corner I don't think I'll bother if it's only to last 6 to 12 months. I'd rather put the money towards some BBS Ed30 rims. But I love the look of the Monza18's so much.  :drool:

....Yes, powdercoating the wheel will banish whiteworm long term - It's the raw metal (diamond cut) under a relatively thin layer of clear lacquer which gets exposed and the worming surface corrosion sets in and organically grows. It's not just VW wheels of this finish which can suffer the whiteworm - I've seen it on Mercedes too. Obviously any chip or kerbing is going to break the surface but not result in the dreaded whiteworm.

I'd say that a refurb back to diamond cut with clear lacquer will last more like 12-18 months as it's the winter and those road salts combined with chips which cause the problem. Not everyone experiences the whiteworm but it's a gamble if you drive the car often enough.

My Smoked Chrome Monza 18's are in storage and I could sell them but find it difficult to part with them. I think I might hang one on my bedroom wall (the girl in my sig won't mind).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:15:25 am by RedRobin »

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:22:58 am »
I had mine refurbished by A1 in wolverhampton (on Robin's recommendation). They use a special Aston martin Lacquer which although will chip, the water cant creep underneath like normal lacquer allows.

So although there is a couple of small chips, I have NO WHITEWORM  :star:

I've done over 10k miles with them like this, used them all year round with no issues.

Maybe worth a trip to A1?

Graeme
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:26:24 am by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:51 am »

I had mine refurbished by A1 in wolverhampton (on Robin's recommendation). They use a special Aston martin Lacquer which although will chip, the water cant creep underneath like normal lacquer allows.

So although there is a couple of small chips, I have NO WHITEWORM  :star:

I've done over 10k miles with them like this, used them all year round with no issues.

Maybe worth a trip to A1?

Graeme

....Aha, I don't think A1 offered the Aston option back in the day when I had mine done. Very glad you were pleased with A1 - Rim King Nath Greeners had recommended A1 to me and he is anal about wheels.