Make a donation

Author Topic: Monza II whiteworm, time for a change?  (Read 7685 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Monza II whiteworm, time for a change?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 10:52:14 am »
What a load of sh*te saying they'd last a few months!!!  :fighting:

Ask Stealth how his are doing! I had them refurbed nearly four years ago and there is no sign of the worm!!  :fighting:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
^^^^
But Nath, it's a gamble. In your ownership they were subjected to very low mileage and extreme, really exceptional, care on your part. Stealth does the mileage (or certainly used to) and has been lucky so far.

Whether they last months or years without whiteworm it's a gamble in my opinion and it's backed up by there being so many cases of it. VW have even replaced wheels with it - It's a well established issue  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 12:51:33 pm »
Hopefully longer than  3 months FFS, I pick up mine (black inserts and diamond cut) from A1 later this week, If I have problems I'll post up to add to the ongoing wheel refurb info already on here.  Dealt with Nick at A1, all good so far.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 12:53:11 pm »
It's not a gamble at all Robin.

It's mostly to do with the laquer and the way it has been applied. You will notice from the OP's pics that they are 'worming' from the bolt holes so I would suspect it is nothing to do with stone chipping (normally the main culprit), rather than poor workmanship, hence my annoyance at the ridiculous comment from the refurber regarding them lasting a few months!!  :fighting:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »
^^^^
Fair do's Nath - I thought you were challenging my comment of 12 -18 months. But I agree with your points - It's very much down to lacquer. I was responding to the general way which these wheels suffer from whiteworm. The point I'm making is that this finish is much more vulnerable than other finishes and in that sense I think it's a gamble.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:11 pm »
I know you have your reservations regarding the finish of the Monza 2's, but if refurbed to a high standard and cared for there is no reason why they cannot last as long as any other design/finish.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »
Yes, I can't really help having strong reservations due to my own direct experiences. But I am guilty of not looking after my wheels as well as you do. On the other hand, I'm not careless and I do feel that BBS/VAG should have made such wheels far more practical in the real world.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »
It's just the downside of a Diamond Cut finish, and by no means are VW/VAG group the only manufacturers affected with this issue.  :happy2:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:21 pm »
Looking at the pic,do you think the lacquer could have been damaged when the wheels have been removed?. Could have had a bit of a bash from the wheel bolt socket?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 04:12:19 pm »
Looking at the pic,do you think the lacquer could have been damaged when the wheels have been removed?. Could have had a bit of a bash from the wheel bolt socket?.

Possibly, but you've gotta be a bit of a tard to do all of them!  :rolleye:  :surprised:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »
Here is a pic of one of my 6.5 year old Monzas with 50k on them... Owned since new

Taken 5 mins ago, they will last as long as you look after them!

3 of mine are like this, 1 has been refurbed (bus pushed me off the road) by A1 and unlike others here, I wasn't so lucky as it looks absolutely shocking so hoping a new bbs will turn up one day....

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:37 pm »
I know you have your reservations regarding the finish of the Monza 2's, but if refurbed to a high standard and cared for there is no reason why they cannot last as long as any other design/finish.  :happy2:

Would Lepsons fall into the 'refurbed to a high standard' Greeners?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 06:17:53 pm »
^^^^
Judging by that pic, winrya, you are seriously into detailing - Even your tyre walls look treated! Hats off and respect to you for your dedication but all that takes time and not everybody wants to take quite so much care. A car needs to be driven and must be practical through the seasons on UK roads. In my opinion it's simply not good enough for the likes of BBS/VW to palm us off with such a finish on wheels even if they do look great.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

Would Lepsons fall into the 'refurbed to a high standard' Greeners?

Couldn't comment, never used them.......

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »
^^^^
Judging by that pic, winrya, you are seriously into detailing - Even your tyre walls look treated! Hats off and respect to you for your dedication but all that takes time and not everybody wants to take quite so much care. A car needs to be driven and must be practical through the seasons on UK roads. In my opinion it's simply not good enough for the likes of BBS/VW to palm us off with such a finish on wheels even if they do look great.

Like most things in life Robin, if you look after it, it will look after you!  :wink:

You haven't got to be 'into detailing' just to take care of your car!!