Make a donation

Author Topic: Speakers and RMS power...  (Read 2717 times)

Offline JackG

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
Speakers and RMS power...
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
Guys I have the 10 speaker system in my edition 30

I have been thinking about putting hertz of similar or replace all 10

My concern would be is it actually going to be better?
My OEM speakers run at a very low RMS power meaning that my kenwood stereo will supply good power to them...like a small amp

If I was to put hertz in the car then the RMS power will be increased meaning the stereo cannot supply sufficient power to the speakers without the aid of a amp...so the hertz speakers will take more power to move them as opposed to my OEM speakers wich have sufficient (ish) power deliverd by my 50W headunit...

Can Somone just confirm this for me? I don't want to go down the amplified route yet!
 I also notice there is 4 wires going to each speaker instead of 2...does this mean there is a amp or a crossover in the car somewhere?

Thanks guys

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Re: Speakers and RMS power...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »
The ten speakers are 6 in the front with a cross over and 4 in the back.  Fronts are tweeter mid range and woofer rears are woofer and tweeter.

I have a standard rns without amp and upgrading speakers made a good difference to the sound.

In my opinion the rms isn't too important with the speakers you can fit in the doors with a cross over in the front they will be better than standard, be warned you will have some modding to do, also the woofer is riveted to the door and sits in a holder, my build thread has some pictures and i have talked through upgrade in a thread as well.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 11:02:58 pm »
The ten speakers are 6 in the front with a cross over and 4 in the back.  Fronts are tweeter mid range and woofer rears are woofer and tweeter.

I have a standard rns without amp and upgrading speakers made a good difference to the sound.

In my opinion the rms isn't too important with the speakers you can fit in the doors with a cross over in the front they will be better than standard, be warned you will have some modding to do, also the woofer is riveted to the door and sits in a holder, my build thread has some pictures and i have talked through upgrade in a thread as well.
So would speaker adapters sort the fittment problem?
Do you have any ideas where the crossover is?
I think RMS power is the important one espeacially as  I'm not running a AMP

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:49 pm »
Very few headunits out on the market will actually provide (4 x 50Watts) its more likely to be around 4 X 20WRMS...

To be honest if you're not planning on using an external amp then theres no point wasting your money on upgrading your stock speakers to the likes of Hertz, Focals, Rainbows etc... there would be very little improvement over your stock sounds..

Get yourself a decent 4 channel amp (The new Rockford Fosgate punch amps are brilliant as they're about the size of a cd) to power your front speakers and rears..

If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:38 pm »
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/15485.html

Used loads of these where space is an issue, but generally great little amps!  :happy2:
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:10:50 pm »
Very few headunits out on the market will actually provide (4 x 50Watts) its more likely to be around 4 X 20WRMS...

To be honest if you're not planning on using an external amp then theres no point wasting your money on upgrading your stock speakers to the likes of Hertz, Focals, Rainbows etc... there would be very little improvement over your stock sounds..

Get yourself a decent 4 channel amp (The new Rockford Fosgate punch amps are brilliant as they're about the size of a cd) to power your front speakers and rears..

That's what I thought, I just wonderd weather it would be worth it! I can't be assed to fit amps  :ashamed:
I done it for about 4 years everyday and I'm too tight to pay for it  :signLOL:
I'll see what people are charging to fit speakers and amps and go from there, i want some better sound tho....I was listening to my old polo's infinity perfect setup earlier and it amazes me every time! But the hassle I went through fitting it all  :fighting:

Offline JackG

• Thank You
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:12:12 pm »
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/15485.html

Used loads of these where space is an issue, but generally great little amps!  :happy2:
Do you think I'll be able to hide 2 of them and a power cap in the rear spare wheel well?

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:04 pm »
Its actually pretty simple to run to be honest...if you've got a four channel amp in the boot for example... simply run the speaker cables from the amp in the boot to the back of the Headunit... then to save time, money and ALOT of effort simply splice into the speaker cables that are running into your doors meaning you dont need to run seperate cables to each door... Ideally you would want to buy a speaker cable harness so you're not hacking into your OEM cables.. so when/if you sell the car its all cushty  :happy2:

Took about 30mins to complete...

and Yeah you could stick quite a few of them in the spare wheel well... theyre brilliantly concise amps...

and i object to power caps.. but thats just me lol