Make a donation

Author Topic: Auto Electrician  (Read 1141 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
Auto Electrician
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:12:22 pm »
Anybody know a good electrician in the Bristol area? Having an issue with my RNS 510 which stops and restarts when car is started. Think I've got some wires round the wrong way somewhere. I've tried a Car stereo shop which I used to use years ago but they weren't interested unless they were doing an install. I'm not brave enough to start pulling wires hence the post.

Cheers.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Auto Electrician
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »
Anybody know a good electrician in the Bristol area? Having an issue with my RNS 510 which stops and restarts when car is started. Think I've got some wires round the wrong way somewhere. I've tried a Car stereo shop which I used to use years ago but they weren't interested unless they were doing an install. I'm not brave enough to start pulling wires hence the post.

Cheers.

Im near plymouth if you fancy a trip down the M5 mate?
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:45 am »
Hi,

do you mean that the screen goes blank and the cd/radio cuts off during starter motor cranking? If so, this is what's meant to happen. If the headunit stays fully operational during the engine starting process, then it has been incorrectly wired. The electrical system in (at least) all VW's of this mark are designed to cut power to certain circuits during starting to ensure sufficient current is available to the starter motor.
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:52:59 am »
you've got the symptoms of a faulty RNS power supply

shoot me a PM, i've got a spare PSU unit for sale, can supply and fit if you send me your unit

cheers

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:38:28 pm »
Ok so it's doing what john 87 says...this is normal? It's a pain in the ass cause it's an after fit with the puc ariel and when you start up and pull away it can take an age to find itself on the sat nav. Any suggestions on maybe updating the firmware, as far as i'm aware it still running what it came with out of the factory on a version B head unit.

Another reason i'm thinking there might be a crossed wire somewhere is because playing a cd through the headunit is fine but playing through the disc changer theres defo a hint of interference which wasn't there with the old RCD 300.

Most music now gets played through the harddrive or sdcard anyway but it would be nice to get it sorted.

Phil and apples you got mail. :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »

Phil and apples you got mail. :happy2:

Replied mate :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:18:49 pm »
replied  :smiley:
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...