Make a donation

Author Topic: Good news! We'll repair that pothole...in 2023....  (Read 2849 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Good news! We'll repair that pothole...in 2023....
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:34:17 am »
It will take 11 years for England's local authorities to fill in potholes because of the huge backlog of road repairs, according to the organisation that represents the asphalt business.

Welsh motorists and cyclists will have to wait a total of 17 years to see all their roads filled in, a report from the Asphalt Industry Alliance (AIA) said - and that is despite authorities filling in 1.7 million potholes last year.
With the average cost of filling in potholes ranging from £35 in Wales to £55 in England, around £90m was spent on pothole work last year.
But councils in England and Wales need around £800m more than they have - or, on average, £5.3m per council in England.

Although the Government gave an extra £200m to councils to help towards the problem, the amount, although welcome, "has proven woefully inadequate", the report said, suggesting it would take a one-off cost of around £10bn to get roads back into reasonable condition.
The number of people complaining about the condition of roads rose by 10% last year.
"Severe winter weather would not, in itself, produce a plague of potholes on well-maintained roads," said AIA chairman Alan Mackenzie.
"These disastrous figures result from decades of underfunding and enforced short-term planning, frustrating the efforts of local authority highways engineers to carry out the preventative work which they know needed to be done."
AA president Edmund King said: "The AIA survey once again shows that potholes blight our roads and are as much about lack of investment in proper road repairs as they are about bad winters and heavy traffic."

Lack of spending on maintaining roads is blamed for the crisis

Peter Box, chairman of the Local Government Association's economy and transport board, said highway teams had been filling potholes "at a rate of one every 18 seconds" and had cut the average cost of filling a pothole from £64 to £48 over the past two years.
He went on: "However, the vast array of our road network has meant that for decades funding has never kept pace with demand for repairs.
"Councils are currently stuck in the position of chasing their tails, repeatedly patching up a deteriorating network rather than fixing it properly.

"What is needed from central government is a serious commitment to funding an upgrade of the entire road network. This will save billions of pounds in the long term and make roads safer for motorists."
The report comes in the same week that MPs said a recent decision to cut the road maintenance would cost the taxpayer more in the long term.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Good news! We'll repair that pothole...in 2023....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
I suppose the question is where does all the extra funding that they receive via fuel duty go. In the last 10 years or so the price of fuel has all but doubled yet the roads are no better in fact most are worse.  :fighting: :fighting:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
The problem is that the repairs they do make to potholes are totally ineffective. They just fill them, then a few months later the same pothole reappears.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0mckh2c79m4feojh1evcolr7rc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »
The problem is that the repairs they do make to potholes are totally ineffective. They just fill them, then a few months later the same pothole reappears.

Very true....

UK roads are shocking on the whole i think, if you compare them with germany for example

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 12:06:31 pm »
There are lots off things that are lacking if you compare us to zee Fatherland.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0mckh2c79m4feojh1evcolr7rc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 12:08:58 pm »
True.... very true! (in fact I'm overdue a visit to germany)

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »
There are lots off things that are lacking if you compare us to zee Fatherland.

Heres a couple of them

Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
Ja ja, ill take one of each.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:55:33 pm »
why's she got texas on her skirt and not enough boobs?

...if i may offer an upgrade:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:56:30 pm »
 :love: :love: :love:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 12:57:56 pm »
from serious post to women and beer in 6 replies  :signLOL:

*paging RedRobin to the thread*

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:59:53 pm »

She has 2 that's enough for me. :laugh:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »

...if i may offer an Upgrade

she was the playboy model for the oktoberfest edition, iirc her father is from Texas.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:19:48 pm »
It will take 11 years for England's local authorities to fill in potholes because of the huge backlog of road repairs, according to the organisation that represents the asphalt business.

Welsh motorists and cyclists will have to wait a total of 17 years to see all their roads filled in, a report from the Asphalt Industry Alliance (AIA) said - and that is despite authorities filling in 1.7 million potholes last year.
With the average cost of filling in potholes ranging from £35 in Wales to £55 in England, around £90m was spent on pothole work last year.
But councils in England and Wales need around £800m more than they have - or, on average, £5.3m per council in England.

Although the Government gave an extra £200m to councils to help towards the problem, the amount, although welcome, "has proven woefully inadequate", the report said, suggesting it would take a one-off cost of around £10bn to get roads back into reasonable condition.
The number of people complaining about the condition of roads rose by 10% last year.
"Severe winter weather would not, in itself, produce a plague of potholes on well-maintained roads," said AIA chairman Alan Mackenzie.
"These disastrous figures result from decades of underfunding and enforced short-term planning, frustrating the efforts of local authority highways engineers to carry out the preventative work which they know needed to be done."
AA president Edmund King said: "The AIA survey once again shows that potholes blight our roads and are as much about lack of investment in proper road repairs as they are about bad winters and heavy traffic."

Lack of spending on maintaining roads is blamed for the crisis

Peter Box, chairman of the Local Government Association's economy and transport board, said highway teams had been filling potholes "at a rate of one every 18 seconds" and had cut the average cost of filling a pothole from £64 to £48 over the past two years.
He went on: "However, the vast array of our road network has meant that for decades funding has never kept pace with demand for repairs.
"Councils are currently stuck in the position of chasing their tails, repeatedly patching up a deteriorating network rather than fixing it properly.

"What is needed from central government is a serious commitment to funding an upgrade of the entire road network. This will save billions of pounds in the long term and make roads safer for motorists."
The report comes in the same week that MPs said a recent decision to cut the road maintenance would cost the taxpayer more in the long term.
[/quote..........& apparantley the average road in the uk gets resurfaced once every 88 years!!!!!!!!! :fighting: what do they do with all our road tax money?????????.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 04:24:19 pm »
More beer and women pics please!  :love:

Potholes!  :fighting:
Golf R gone.