Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurance - what a PITA  (Read 1544 times)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
Insurance - what a PITA
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:42:02 am »
so 1 month left and someone reverses into the wife's car - he admits liability and the car gets repaired, now the dreaded renewal time.. I have both cars on a multi car policy... the renewal comes through higher than last years - no suprise there.

Do an online check on each car individually and they come out cheaper.  Out of interest I also did like for like quotes declaring and not decalring the accident just to see what a non fault accident would make (I would always declare it of course, this is just for interest purposes) and the wife's quote has increased £110 and mine (as she on my policy) went up £50 - the reasons for this is because of stats, as she was hit so could be likely to be hit again .. WTF!  In 11years no accidents of fault - someone runs into you and your policy goes up 20%

Anyway, insurance - we all need it (well should!) but my god they can be so frustrating as they may as well bend you over ...

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Insurance - what a PITA
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:25:11 am »
My multi car renewal was £300 over splitting the cars. It's just to get you on the hook and then after that bleed you dry at renewal. Although if you phone up and mention cheaper quotes is amazing what discounts suddenly come out of the woodwork.

Ifti

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:45:14 am »
Just had my renewal. £150 more then last year, even though I have no changes at all over the year, an extra no claims, and still I get stung with an increase.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:55:57 am »
I've just moved onto a multi car policy with the mrs, her leon is £690, my ed30 dsg is £750, about £400 saving on seperate policies.
Also alllows both of us to be insured on each others cars which at 25 & 30 years old i thought was quite good, with a BD postcode.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:43 am »
Problem now is to move companies I need to make sure the claim is completed ... Again something I have no control over and shouldn't matter but it does.

It seems any excuse to increase .. Well in fact they need no excuse they just make up things which realistically they cannot justify.

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:55 am »
Last year the multi car reduced the whole cost by 140

Going onto multi car was ok as the second car joined later - just at renewal when I have to pay for both. Makes it feel worse.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 11:10:09 am »
Non-faults, we all suffer from even if insurance companies state that it doesn't, NCD doesn't seem to make much differenc either, premiums still go up these days.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 11:12:24 am »
Instead of paying the additional interest for monthly payments, i have a seperate car account that an amount goes into each month. This then covers insurance, tax, mot, service etc.. so i get no unexpected large costs that i cant find. Works well for us.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
Moving onto multi car saves money it's the renewals that are hiked up same for single. Shop around is a must. Apparently 60% of people don't and just pay up the renewal. No wonder the insurance companies ramp it up so much.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 11:32:45 am »
It seems to me that insurers just charge whatever the hell they like. They know we need insurance so they have us by the short and curlies, but I think it's just plain extortion. Case in point: since deeming that charging women less was unfair did mens' insurance premiums drop? Nope. But womens' increased despite that according to them their risk hadn't changed at all. There's no science behind it at all, it's just legalised theft.

I reckon the government is benefitting from it somehow otherwise capping insurance premiums would no doubt help the economy.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 03:33:45 pm »
In terms of the government what can they do ? It's a free market. Competition is supposed to keep the price down.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:00:47 pm »
You see this is the problem and why people put dodgy claims in for whiplash etc because they know the insurance company is just gonna have there pant down come renewal time. The goverment should do something, i mean putting up renewals for a non fault accident is just pure greed but they know we cant do anything about it. Mined you so is the 300% tax on fuel the goverment make, lets face it motorists are easy targets for everyone.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »
The greed part is capitalism for ya. Theory is other greedy people are supposed to undercut them. As for the fuel it's running out so sooner or later it's going to be very expensive regardless of tax. I think 3 non fault accidents would be fair enough to start questioning but not one. The whiplash thing does need to be sorted as does drivers without insurance.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:10:36 pm »
Well the difference in quotes from a 2008 modded R32 to a 12 year old Bora gave me a difference of £10!

Clean licience, never claimed.

Work that one out  :fighting:

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 05:27:47 pm »
The greed part is capitalism for ya. Theory is other greedy people are supposed to undercut them. As for the fuel it's running out so sooner or later it's going to be very expensive regardless of tax. I think 3 non fault accidents would be fair enough to start questioning but not one. The whiplash thing does need to be sorted as does drivers without insurance.

That old chess nut, oh the fuel is running out, bollocks they'll still be telling us that in 30 years and its still no excuse for the goverment to put so much tax on it.

The insurance companies say the renewals are going up due to personaly injury claims yet if these went down you bet the cost of insurance wouldnt.

There all greedy tw*ts.