Make a donation

Author Topic: GT, GTI, ED30, R32 - Why?  (Read 30855 times)

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: GT, GTI, ED30, R32 - Why?
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 08:56:48 pm »
I loved my 1.8t ! Had stage 2 with decat, cool overs , anniversary kit , brides Ali interior trim, lm reps ... Miss it :-(
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 09:59:01 pm »
Everyone swears by the build quality of the 1.8T

My boss has a 1.8T 225 Audi TT from new that he's just taken past 100k miles. Never had a problem with it bar a bad coil pack.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:49 pm »
Everyone swears by the build quality of the 1.8T

It's far from bullet proof, largely due to their age. Lots of issues with split vac. pipes etc etc. Ask nick from R-Tech, he will have seen all the issues first hand.

A split vac pipe and a broken driver side window regulator was all that ever went wrong with mine in 5 years of having it, usual servicing, brakes/pads tyres aside.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 05:31:37 am »
I thought the MKIV 1.8 turbo was alright, well the 180 bhp version anyway.

What was an absolute disgrace is the 2.0 8 valve version they did with 115 bhp.
How they could call this a Gti I will never know.

Ity wasn't the power that was the problem, it was the handling and lack of steering feel. For me, these are 2 of the fundamental characteristics that make a GTi a GTi, as delivered in Mks 1, 2, 5 & 6.

I totally agree, the 2.0 8 valve was a total disgrace, and a very cynical (and damaging) piece of marketing.  :fighting:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Ree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2012, 08:56:32 am »
I may be wrong but to my understanding, I thougth the MK4 had better feed back as the steering is not electrical as the MK5 range.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 09:59:19 am »
I may be wrong but to my understanding, I thougth the MK4 had better feed back as the steering is not electrical as the MK5 range.

The MK4 had appalling steering. Who on earth is providing you with this info? :laugh:

Offline JigBake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2012, 10:30:40 am »
I had a mk4 R32 and loved it. The car was great fun and was bullet proof. It Loved to be driven hard but the downsides were that it ate through tyres when driven hard, not as comfortable as my ed30 and it wasnt very practical. I loved R32 and that noise and I love my ed30. My ed30 is faster and easier to drive smoothly.

Both great cars!!

R32UK

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2012, 09:22:57 pm »
always the r32 for me..  and im not biased in anyway :innocent:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »
The 2.0 mk4 GTI was an about face rescue mission, as it was originally a non turbo 1.8. It was slightly lacking in torque, so VW whacked in the old lump from the mk3.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2012, 07:20:13 pm »
Went to look at a GTI today (looked at far too many now) they had an R32 id be lying if i said I wasn't tempted.  They look so tasty and the sounds amazing!  What are the extra running cost that one would need to be aware of over a GTI?

They also sound very tasty and what is the MPG compared to a golf GTI.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 08:05:40 pm »
Extra costs I can think of are:

Road tax £460 instead of Gti at £245 although thu probably sneakily increased this in the budget.

From owning both I'd say between 5-8mpg worse off fuel wise.

You will get through tyres quicker as its heavier and 4wd

Haldex service for 4 wheel drive although I think this is only every 40,000 and probably £100 a time.

2 extra spark plugs on a service, again minimal cost. Plus 2 more coul packs if you ever need to replace.

Insurance was similar for me.

I can't think of anything else that's obvious at the minute.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »
.:R32 with a turbo, or even two of the soldiers is of course, a different story;  :party:

Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

R32UK

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »
Went to look at a GTI today (looked at far too many now) they had an R32 id be lying if i said I wasn't tempted.  They look so tasty and the sounds amazing!  What are the extra running cost that one would need to be aware of over a GTI?

I would take the R32 over the GTI everyday.... even though my mk6 revod GTI was probably on parr with the R32, the R32 would give me a smile everytime I drove it. The GTI only does sometimes.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »
Extra costs I can think of are:

Road tax £460 instead of Gti at £245 although thu probably sneakily increased this in the budget.

From owning both I'd say between 5-8mpg worse off fuel wise.

You will get through tyres quicker as its heavier and 4wd

Haldex service for 4 wheel drive although I think this is only every 40,000 and probably £100 a time.

2 extra spark plugs on a service, again minimal cost. Plus 2 more coul packs if you ever need to replace.

Insurance was similar for me.

I can't think of anything else that's obvious at the minute.

Thanks for the reply some very useful info.  

Ive just had a quick look insurance quotes they seem reasonable.  

The road tax though is excessive.  But hey its the price to pay for having performance cars.  

Having owned both what did you like and dislike about the two cars comparing them side by side?  How much quicker did the R32 feel Vs GTI.  Which did you enjoy more personally?  Apologies for the questions!!
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2012, 08:52:52 pm »

I would take the R32 over the GTI everyday.... even though my mk6 revod GTI was probably on parr with the R32, the R32 would give me a smile everytime I drove it. The GTI only does sometimes.

Ive driven a GTI mk 5 to me it felt wonderful currently drive a polo (needed to build no claims as a young driver).  You couldn't explain what made you smile about the R32 every time where did the GTI fall short for you.

Mechanically is there anything i should especially look out for when buying an R32 over a GTI?