Make a donation

Author Topic: GT, GTI, ED30, R32 - Why?  (Read 30857 times)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Re: GT, GTI, ED30, R32 - Why?
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2012, 08:57:09 pm »
How much quicker did the R32 feel Vs GTI.

It probably doesn't feel quicker, a) because it isn't really and b) the power delivery is very linear compared to a boost-and-go turbo engined car, but look down at the speedo and you'll see it's not slow by any means...

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »
Thats a fair point.  E46 M3 didn't feel that quick.....then you look at the speedo...... :grin: :grin: :grin:
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2012, 09:28:07 pm »
If you get a pre-March 06 R32 then road tax is a bit more manageable.  :wink:

R32UK

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2012, 09:59:15 pm »

Ive driven a GTI mk 5 to me it felt wonderful currently drive a polo (needed to build no claims as a young driver).  You couldn't explain what made you smile about the R32 every time where did the GTI fall short for you.

Mechanically is there anything i should especially look out for when buying an R32 over a GTI?

Its hard to sum up easily.. but in addition to that noise the fact that its an everyday car thats much more capable than all the other FWD hothatches. I dont like to hang around and the r32 made 'making progress' in any conditions just so simple without the drama of wheel spin and waiting for a turbo to kick in

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply some very useful info.  

Ive just had a quick look insurance quotes they seem reasonable.  

The road tax though is excessive.  But hey its the price to pay for having performance cars.  

Having owned both what did you like and dislike about the two cars comparing them side by side?  How much quicker did the R32 feel Vs GTI.  Which did you enjoy more personally?  Apologies for the questions!!

My R32 was a MKIV however I did drive a MKV R32 before I bought my GTi and actually preferred my MKIV.

I was actually looking for a MK5 R32 and after looking at a few started to look at Gti's.
Edition 30's I should mention so 230bhp.

I'm glad I went for the Gti as I love the power delivery of a turbo.

The bits I miss about the R32 are the sound, it really is an great engine, so smooth.
Unfortunately its just not quick enough. It's a much heavier car than the Gti and it doesn't have a massive amount more power.

Its nice to have 4wd but i haven't really missed it that much, I don't push the car anywhere near its limits.

If you are looking at standard Gti's vs R32 I would go with the R32 but if you are looking at Edition 30 Gti's I'd go for that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:08:59 pm by Tinytim »

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2012, 10:05:45 pm »
Wow.  It sounds like a weapon! I really am thinking of looking at them now after seeing todays example.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply some very useful info.  

Ive just had a quick look insurance quotes they seem reasonable.  

The road tax though is excessive.  But hey its the price to pay for having performance cars.  

Having owned both what did you like and dislike about the two cars comparing them side by side?  How much quicker did the R32 feel Vs GTI.  Which did you enjoy more personally?  Apologies for the questions!!

My R32 was a MKIV however I did drive a MKV R32 before I bought my GTi and actually preferred my MKIV.

I was actually looking for a MK5 R32 and after looking at a few started to look at Gti's.
Edition 30's I should mention so 230bhp.

I'm glad I went for the Gti as I love the power delivery of a turbo.

The bits I miss about the R32 are the sound, it really is an great engine, so smooth.
Unfortunate its just not quick enough. It's a much heavier car than the Gti and it doesn't have a massive amount more power.

Its nice to have 4wd but i haven't really missed it that much, I don't push the car anywhere near its limits.

If you are looking at standard Gti's vs R32 I would go with the R32 but if you are looking at Edition 30 Gti's I'd go for that.

I was looking for edition 30's but couldn't find any spec to my taste etc.  So started looking at GTI's.   Then I saw this R32 up close and personal.  I really think that cars like the R32 will no longer exist as sad but true due to "greenies" they're being outlawed.  I feel that that GTI's will forever be around.  Im just worried about the running cost coming as a shock.   I only do about 10K a year though.  I never thought I'd have a dilemma over my choice of car!

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:23 pm »
If you get a pre-March 06 R32 then road tax is a bit more manageable.  :wink:

Thats a nice nugget of info!  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

R32UK

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2012, 10:15:41 pm »
i also went to showroom to get a gti... when the salesman said have you seen this!! He started up the r and revved it a little. I was sold  :driver:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2012, 10:17:00 pm »
I had a brief look at Edition 30s and the wife said I was not getting a car with tartan seats!

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2012, 10:22:13 pm »
i also went to showroom to get a gti... when the salesman said have you seen this!! He started up the r and revved it a little. I was sold  :driver:

:signLOL:  I didn't allow him to tempt me!  If the car had DSG I may have allowed him.  :smiley:  How long have you had your car?  Is there a UK R32 forum?

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2012, 10:23:09 pm »
I had a brief look at Edition 30s and the wife said I was not getting a car with tartan seats!

Funny enough a lot my whole family hate the idea of tartan seats but love the leather of the GTI.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2012, 10:43:16 pm »

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2012, 11:27:56 pm »

Funny enough a lot my whole family hate the idea of tartan seats but love the leather of the GTI.

That's why I bought a pirelli, it has far better seats than those tartan efforts.

As for spec you get more standard equipment in the R32 the main one for me being Xenons.
Luckily I found a Pirelli with pretty much every option on.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=m2vsbf6eku7kku2bgt39gc3opt&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:52 pm »
Is there a UK R32 forum?

Yup. www.r32oc.com

Just ask on there, they will tell you that the GTI ed30 is the best ;-)