Make a donation

Author Topic: GT, GTI, ED30, R32 - Why?  (Read 30818 times)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
Re: GT, GTI, ED30, R32 - Why?
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »
I think those track times show that we have a bunch of drag racers on here who only like to show off their car's performance in a straight line...  :rolleye:

R32UK

« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »
I think those track times show that we have a bunch of drag racers on here who only like to show off their car's performance in a straight line...  :rolleye:

:grin:

Saintsteve

« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2012, 04:01:11 pm »
But the same goes for not everything off the line matters.... From 30 up is my personal favourite.

Also I don't need bigger brakes to take corners quicker, it's called bigger Testicles and fewer brain cells in my book  :signLOL:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2012, 04:55:58 pm »
I think your wrong and I've owned both.

Those figures look sh*te anyway as how can the car with the greater power to weight be slower. :stupid:

Ok.... everyone is wrong but you  :booty:

Oh no I'm as wrong as the next man.  :evilgrin:

Ask me which would I own and it would always be the R32 if I had the means to run it.

+ 1

As I've said before, the R32 just felt more special that any other MK5 I have owned/driven regardless of power. It's like the proverbial off the mark, but lacks torque at motorway speeds. But for cruising and making a lovely sound, I don't think it can be beaten!!  :happy2:

R32UK

« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2012, 06:19:48 pm »

Those figures look sh*te anyway as how can the car with the greater power to weight be slower. :stupid:

Ask me which would I own and it would always be the R32 if I had the means to run it.

+ 1

As I've said before, the R32 just felt more special that any other MK5 I have owned/driven regardless of power. It's like the proverbial off the mark, but lacks torque at motorway speeds. But for cruising and making a lovely sound, I don't think it can be beaten!!  :happy2:

Pretty much nailed it there Greeners  :happy2:

... if they suddenly realised oil was now a renewable energy the price of R32's would go through the roof!!  :grin:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2012, 06:25:48 pm »

+ 1

... if they suddenly realised oil was now a renewable energy the price of R32's would go through the roof!!  :grin:

Possibly, but its not is it and ED30 owners dont have to spend £5K to get 300+bhp, a mere £400-600 does that  :evilgrin:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:35 pm »
Steve, I'd like to remind you of a post you made after our birthday party last year. It can still be viewed in the meet thread... 

edit: found it myself

Quote from: Saint Steve
@simonp....doesn't your R go well  :surprised:

I had a split diverted valve in defense unbeknown to me   :laugh: and that's a true story as mr vRStu gave me a second hand one to save me spending £50 on a new one... So to answer yes, it did, against a non boosting Ed30  :laugh:

Re he he he he heally? How is that your (stage 2?) car still went past mine then if it was borked?

Saintsteve

« Reply #157 on: March 27, 2012, 07:13:26 pm »
when I got stage 2, it always felt the same in performance terms from being used to stage 1.After finding a 10mm size split in the diagram,on stage 2, you no longer get the feeling of boost tailing off mid to high rpms.Now along with the Twintake, is a completely different animal,and feels silly quick.. :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:16:57 pm by Saintsteve »

R32UK

« Reply #158 on: March 27, 2012, 07:18:41 pm »

Possibly, but its not is it and ED30 owners dont have to spend £5K to get 300+bhp, a mere £400-600 does that  :evilgrin:

But if it was????

if we are trying to establish which is better, then lets face it.... its the R32. :P

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 4
  • Edition 30 No.1059 - GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: March 27, 2012, 07:20:19 pm »
I test drove both ED30 and R32 back to back when I changed my car last.

I loved the sound track of the R32 and the rear end is much nicer in my opinion than the ED30.

However, the ED30 felt more special with the excellent seats and neat touches as well as feeling quicker and more nimble and I much prefer the front end of the GTi/ED30.

The fuel consumption was a factor as I do a lot of miles which the ED30 copes with extremely well, however even if fuel wasn't an issue I would still go for the ED30 as it just hits all the right buttons for me  :happy2:

I personally don't care which is marginally faster, both great cars, although I would happily take the R32 in the snow as the ED30 and DSG was awful  :driver:

Overall you can't go wrong with GTi/R32 or ED30 IMO, all great cars and we should all be happy to have the pleasure of owning quite possibly the best car pound for pound  :smiley:

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN - Edition30 No. 1059
Currently loving - SEAT Leon FR184 - sunroof, tech pack, 18" performance alloys, convenience and sound pack

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »

Overall you can't go wrong with GTi/R32 or ED30 IMO, all great cars and we should all be happy to have the pleasure of owning quite possibly the best car pound for pound  :smiley:

Amen mister!  :drinking:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2012, 09:49:05 pm »

+ 1

Of course I forgot, if you buy a MK5 you HAVE to modify it so it makes at least 300+ BHP!!  :stupid:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2012, 10:06:12 pm »
To be honest Nath with EVOMS and Cat-back Milltek mine would slay Veyrons anyway. Who cares about the numbers?  :laugh:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »
To be honest Nath with EVOMS and Cat-back Milltek mine would slay Veyrons anyway. Who cares about the numbers?  :laugh:

Veyrons are chump change though chap, it's those bloody Megane RS's you have to watch out for!  :grin:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2012, 10:09:29 pm »
Who cares about the numbers?

GTI owners...