Make a donation

Author Topic: Headlight restoration - What lacquer afterwards?  (Read 6241 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Headlight restoration - What lacquer afterwards?
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:36:27 am »

At Chrimbo, I used the Megs 1 step headlight restoration kit, which worked a treat at removing the hazing and mouldy look on my headlights.

However, 3 months later, it is starting to re-appear, and I reckon its because I didn't seal them afterwards.  :stupid:

Does anyone have any  idea as to the appropriate lacquer to use on these?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Headlight restoration - What lacquer afterwards?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:42 am »
I wouldn't advise on lacquering them. Maybe a good sealant/wax? Collinite possibly? Good few layers should be ok.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:34 am »
Did you buy the kit? it should of some with something. I ended up opting for the turtle wax restoration kit and it came with a sealant although I don't think it is a lacquer  :confused:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
Did you buy the kit? it should of some with something. I ended up opting for the turtle wax restoration kit and it came with a sealant although I don't think it is a lacquer  :confused:

I got the kit for Christmas, and it doesn't come with a sealant, it's supposed to be 'one step' hence the name, which suggests the product you buff in doesn't need sealing, but it's coming back, so I am going to do it again (hopefully before Sunday, Coombe Lodge!) and then seal it. But don't know what to use.

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:01 pm »
aahhh, i need to do mine again too but with a finer grade of paper  :sad1: - i just read a really good guide in the DIY section thats made me a feel a little more confident in doing it! hmm I'd have a look on the bay for plastic sealant (something will come up) im really looking forward to sunday now! Am especially hoping the weather will be really nice!  :happy2:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:25:57 pm »
Oh, I see your kit needs sand paper. This just come with a special drill bit polisher , some fluid and cloths for buffing it up with.

Me too on Sunday buddy, can't wait to get along and meet everyone, and share ideas. Getting my new 18" Monza put on on Saturday morning, which replaces the one my Mrs uses as an anchor in conjunction with the kerb!

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:14:06 am »
Yeah it came with some pads but I didn't do all the grades. I think i've seen that on youtube, look like it did a really good job.  :happy2: should be a gooden! I definately wanna find out a little about mapping. Ohh very nice! haha we need pictures of that!  :signLOL:

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:19 am »

At Chrimbo, I used the Megs 1 step headlight restoration kit, which worked a treat at removing the hazing and mouldy look on my headlights.

However, 3 months later, it is starting to re-appear, and I reckon its because I didn't seal them afterwards.  :stupid:

Does anyone have any  idea as to the appropriate lacquer to use on these?

I haven't polished my headlamps, they don't need it - however, I did apply a couple of coats of gtechniq G1 when I was applying it to the front & rear windscreen. Not sure if it will help but........ they sure do self-clean now

You may get more answers if you post in the detailing section - maybe the Mod's will move it for you?

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy