Make a donation

Author Topic: Major Monza II info required  (Read 7812 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Major Monza II info required
« on: May 07, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »
How do chaps?

This isn't another question about the typical stuff.

Basically about a month and a half ago I had one of my wheels scored around the face pretty bad after a tyre fitter got it all wrong, they went off for a refurb and today they turned back up. Dad picked them up from the fitters who scuffed them thinking they looked alright.

Here's the thing, my wheels are BBS and only about 6/7 months old off of Ben "The Wheel Man" and a Ronal version has turned up. No doubt they are trying to pull a fast one and I'm not to say the least a happy bunny about someone replacing it with a wheel which in many cases isn't up to par with the BBS ones or holds there value against them as well either.

Basically can anyone give me any info in the differences between the companies and the wheels, Without being a snob it sums it up on the wheel 'Made in Poland'

Seems to be one thing after another with this car  :sad:

Luke

If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: Major Monza II info required
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:43 pm »
maybe VW are using Ronal now for monza 2's, could be because of the whiteworm issue. VAG do use Ronal to make their OE wheels as well BBS

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:08:12 pm »
Ronal have been making the Monza II for ages now, well over a year the wheels are almost exactly the same.  :smiley:
Also to add to this Ronal make some quality wheels and are a well respected manufacturer.  :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:10:43 pm »
there you go, I was just guessing  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:19 pm »
Cheers for the info.

Regardless of whether they make the OEM ones or not the fact of the matter in my eyes is that one wheel was sent off for refurbishment and a different one has come back without being told any reason for the brand in wheel changing which the refub guys will know about.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 08:14:22 pm »
Cheers for the info.

Regardless of whether they make the OEM ones or not the fact of the matter in my eyes is that one wheel was sent off for refurbishment and a different one has come back without being told any reason for the brand in wheel changing which the refub guys will know about.

I totally agree the same wheel that left you should be the one that comes back.
But i think you are making a boo boo. If i remember rightly The wheelman got all four wheels recently swapped under warranty, This will mean you have 4 Ronal monza II  :smiley:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:15 pm »
yes, have you checked the others :smiley:

Offline Alexander

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
Doesn't sound like there is a major difference in the wheels...but... someone has swapped the wheels without telling you which I would be a bit miffed about, so you should at least let someone know that you are a bit displeased or they might keep doing it.
2005 Black Audi A3 Sportback TDI-Bose and Full Leather
2005 Black 3Dr GTI-Leather and Upgraded Sound System-Gone

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »
Cheers for the info.

I totally agree the same wheel that left you should be the one that comes back.
But i think you are making a boo boo. If i remember rightly The wheelman got all four wheels recently swapped under warranty, This will mean you have 4 Ronal monza II  :smiley:

Not strictly true, all 4 are BBS, the one on the garage floor is a BBS wheel and there is a noticeable difference between the two when there side by side. Granted only small but enough to notice.

Sorry for seeming like an arse but I just don't like having fast ones trying to be pulled on me.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:21:23 pm »
If thats the case, then you should be pissed off and i would be down there tomorrow getting my wheel back before some one else gets it.  :smiley:

neo66

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:30 pm »
Mine has the 'made in poland' print inside them! Thats from a 57 reg Gti.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:57 pm »
what are the differences ??

Also do they weight the same. Bbs used hollow rim tech so have the new company done the same ?

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:07:15 pm »
The faces on the BBS ones are way more clean cut, a proper straight cut across the face making it stand out way more, the Ronal ones almost have a sort of radius to the edge's very similar to the faces on the 17's but not as obvious as the 17's. There's also a raised lip around the valve on the BBS, not present on the Ronal’s.

I can also see that the paint doesn't seem to match all around the Ronal’s from the hub mounting to behind the spokes and seems to dull off a lot more where as the BBS wheel is the same colour everywhere other than the face.

The lips on the BBS's also seem to cut/polished effect where as the Ronal's seem to look a lot duller, almost painted silver in a way.

The Ronal's are 1.9KG heavier than the BBS's (With tyres) so for argument sake 2.0KG

Luke
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:16:44 pm by snapey »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »

Apart from the principle of not informing you about any changes, another very important consideration is the fact that BBS Monza's use their patented Hollow Wheel Technology and that it was specifically developed for the Mk5 GTI and took into consideration technical factors like centrifugal forces at speed.

If different, surely Ronals should not be mixed with the BBS Monza's. It isn't just a cosmetic consideration.

I would write to VW Technical and ask for clarification as you are concerned about safety issues.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 09:19:11 pm »
makes we wonder who made mine. All of mine were swapped under warranty a year ago??

I can't say i've noticed a difference if they are different.

Remember and differences in finish will more than likely be down to the refurb.

I'll be interested to see if they weigh the same