Make a donation

Author Topic: HELP std headunit edition 30 problem  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • MK5 Pirelli previous MK6 Gti ED30 and MK5 R32
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
HELP std headunit edition 30 problem
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:50 pm »
Hi Guys, hope someone can help me. I have the standard headunit in my edition 30 (with the 6 cd in dash) and for the the first time have come across a problem.

I got in the car tonight and the stereo would not player any of the cd's, so took them all out cleaned then and blow the headunit clear of any dust tried to put the cd back in and it just seems to take ages to find the cd (4 minutes!) while making loads of wierd noises like there is a cd stuck and high pitched clanking.

It has been fine until tonight, the only thing I have done to the car is have it re-mapped and lowered yesterday.

any advise?  :scared:

Offline Mev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
Re: HELP std headunit edition 30 problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »
RCD 500? Is it spending the time "reading" the disc? If the wiring has been mucked about with there may be no permanent live feed so it has to reboot when the ignition goes on.

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »
Yeah it's the RCD 500...thats exactly what its doing reading the disk all the time.  I don't think the wiring would have been messed about with. What would you say the best solution would be? remove headunit and check wiring? thanks

Offline Mev

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »
I had this problem when I mucked around with the permanent and ignition feeds when fitting a parrot wiring harness. I realised it was rebooting each time I turned the ignition on but when I rewired with a permanent live it went back to normal. I would suggest that you find a permanent 12v connection fom either the harness or, if feeling daring, from the battery. Then connecting straight to the appropriate connector on the quadlock. This should confirm that your headunit is working correctly and the fault is in the wiring harness.

Scary stuff so you may need to ask some more tech minded types for advice on this.

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »
It did sound like it was rebooting all the time but has stopped reading cds altogether now, however the radio is working fine..the wiring hasnt been messed with, and it was just a out of the blue problem. I have managed to get hold of a RCD510 unit, so i'm going to install that later in the week and see if there is any other problems.
how did you re-wire yours for a permanent live...I have got no idea about this sort of thing :(