Make a donation

Author Topic: Go pro camcorders  (Read 2304 times)

Offline shane mk5

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Go pro camcorders
« on: February 25, 2012, 01:12:48 pm »
I have been lookin at the go pro camcorder just wanted to see if anyone has used these before and what are they like i wanted something that i could use when i go snowboarding on my bike and that a can attatch to my car, if anyone has any other recommendations let me know

Cheers
Shane

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
Re: Go pro camcorders
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »
Hi Shane, I've been using these little cams for about 1.5 years now and they're great. I skydive a lot and use them for that mainly but snowboarding, mountain biking and mounted on car it works great too.

They've now got the GoPro HD Hero2 which is the new improved version. They will work 50 meters underwater too if you really need to film down there  :signLOL:

GoPros are tough wearing too, easy to download and you can get free updates from the GoPro site too.

You can set for various different types of resolution, 720, 960, 1080 etc. It will take stills in bursts or video.

Can't recommend them enough mate.

Andy.

Offline ShaunP

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »
I second Andy's comments on the GoPro.

Ive had a HD Hero for eight months now.  It looks very basic but the quality is actually very good.

I use it alot for karting, easily mounted on your helmet or on the nassau panel.  The 960 resolution works best as it gives you a squarer picture, capturing more of the track ahead as well as the steering wheel, pedals etc.  Sound is surprisingly good too, even using the wet casing. 

I've also used the waterproof wrist strap/housing as well.  Its very easy to use (and definitely waterproof to 20+ metres).  Only comment I'd make is that you need the (optional, £70) lcd display when you film underwater as its easy to focus on the wrong spot. 

Cheers

Shaun

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:56:07 am »
My best mate just bought one of these for a snowboarding trip we going on next week, he decided as we dont stop enough to take pics he can attach to his helmet and film instead and take stills from that  :happy2:

Was looking at getting one myself but baulked at the price of £230 for something I would only use once or twice per year.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:55:55 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:21:02 am »
Ive had one for a couple of years now. For skiing and snowboarding I find you get a much more interesting video if you have it on a pole held out in front of you and pointing back towards you. Ive got hours of fairly dull footage where its on my helmet pointing down the slope but when your in the shot it suddenly changes the dynamic of the video.

This is one I threw together yesterday of me learning to Ski last week in Sestriere.

Ive got the gen1 go pro and only the hero960 version but I got it from the states for about £140 so it wasnt too bad.
The gen2 has a better sensor and lens

NOTE... the first couple of clips are from a phone not a go pro.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Re the video name... I've boarded for 10 years but my mates always take the piss and say I secretly love skiing... made 'I love Skiing' stickers for my helmet and board lol
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:24:59 am by jedi-knight83 »
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 11:20:04 am »
I prefer the Contour range of cameras personally.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/products-contour-hd-cameras.html

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:23:23 am »
Shot with a go pro hero 2
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:36:09 am »
Well after much "Go on get one" from my mate I plumped for a Bullet camera, HD 720p 120 deg view with 16GB SD card, bargain at £95 shipped, comes with helmet mounting, wrist/pole mount, velcro car mount and MTB bar mount, will see what sort of vids I can get on holiday.

As we both have them, my mate suggetsed some vids of both us, Cam at front pointing backwards and the cam at rear facing forward so we both get shots of each other  :happy2:

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:29:26 pm »
+1 on the recommendations for the GoPro.  Awesome bit of kit.  Durable, good quality footage and good value.  I use one DH mountain biking fairly frequently and it's great.  Battery life is a concern for long alpine days but spares are cheap.  Find the footage is a lot less 'mental' with proper helmet attachments as opposed to my DIY efforts of duct taping it to the stem!  :stupid:

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:40:33 pm »
I'm pretty pleased with my go-pro HD.

I've used it for downhill mountainbiking, track days and skiing. The image quality is pretty good, and sound is okay (could be better in this area).

A sample of the video I've shot:

Airfield day -
&t=5m50s

Cadwell Park -
JScsg&index=13&feature=plcp

Tame Welsh DH -
JScsg&index=9&feature=plcp

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:55:09 pm by alackofspeed »

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »
I've got 2 of the new Pro Hd2 and ave sot one stuff in 3d, they are excellent, especially with the new range of accessories - wifi back ak etc... Well worth the money IMHO.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 03:21:49 pm »
Well my HD Bullet came did a great job while away on holiday, glad I did not bother spening the extra £100+ on the Go-Pro  :happy2: