Make a donation

Author Topic: Quick Detail - Gtechniq T1 & Turtle Wax Extra Gloss Protection  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Well with the weather finally taking a turn for the better I thought I'd give the motor a quick once over. The idea being to try out a new product in the arsenal ( Gtechniq T1) and one old product (Turdle Wax EGP). I'd recently applied a layer of the Turtle Wax EGP to Mrs.Booths Fiesta after finding it hidden away in an old cupboard in the shed. The following day it rained and I was mighty impressed with how it held up and thought I'd give it ago on the Golf.

Car was washed with a strong mix of Stardrops APC/water to help remove any old wax before reapplying Prima Amigo via DA and then a single layer of Vics Concours Red wax. I left that for a couple of hours to cure before dusting the motor back down and applying the EGP via DA. Initially I was a bit confused by EGP as its classed as a sealant but states on the bottle that it can be applied over a wax, not like a normal sealant. However it has gone on without any issues and it goes a long way. I pretty much managed to cover the whole car with just three small squirts of the product.

After that I brought out the Gtechniq T1 Tire & Trim which is just superb to be honest. You can basically apply this in multiple coats to adjust the level of gloss you want to achieve - 1 coat = satin finish, 2 coats = gloss finish and so on. The T1 just looks like thick water and goes on with zero effort when  applied with a foam applicator and you really can make a few drops go a long way. I just went for the single coat on the tires, trim and front grill but it has left a beautiful finish. Something else that imoressed me was its ability to remove wax residue from the textured trim  an that fact that it just wipes of the paint rather than leaving greasy marks. According to the jargon this stuff will outlast most tire and trim products too so it will be interesting to see how it gets on.

Both products have been impressive but the EGP probably more so. Simply because Its £9.99 for a 500ml bottle and considering how little I used to coat the car makes it superb value for money. Its water characteristics and the ability to just quickly apply over an existing layer of wax makes it ideal for that quick protection or, coupled with something like Collinite would create a winter barrier even Superman couldn't break.

Few Pics:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:14:32 pm by Boothy »

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Quick Detail - Gtechniq T1 & Turtle Wax Extra Gloss Protection
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »
love the beading shots.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 04:46:14 pm »
EGP is a sealant and as with all sealants, it should be applied directly to the paintwork. EGP works best when applied over SRP. It will be interesting to see how long EGP lasts. I'd have ordinarily done it the other way - EGP first and then wax on top. Certainly, I've used EGP followed by 476s. Not unbreakable but durable and certainly lasted well over four months. However, even my three layers of FK1000P have lasted five months - still sheeting and beading, though less so on the roof.

How long did you leave the EGP to cure?

EDIT: I'd be grateful for any follow up pics say three months down the line to show the EGP and the T1.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:10:39 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 05:25:14 pm »
The stuff I used was some old Turtle Wax Extras Gloss Protection, not AG but yes, ordinarily I too would apply it pre-wax. However the literature for the turtle stas that it can be applied on fresh paint or over a traditional wax. Bizzare I know but it seems to have gone on without issue. I will let you know how it gets on.

Offline Zodium

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:34:06 pm »
Nice monzas have they been powder coated?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 05:42:45 pm »
Nice monzas have they been powder coated?

Painted mate - gloss anthracite.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:43:53 pm »
Ah! Got confused. Is it EGP? The only thing I can spot is turtle wax "protective extra gloss" - is this what you're talking about?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:52:48 pm »
Ah! Got confused. Is it EGP? The only thing I can spot is turtle wax "protective extra gloss" - is this what you're talking about?

That's the stuff although it's been rebranded to that at some point? The bottle I had is EGP but it's about 10 year old  :laugh:

On another note mate, that T1 is proper awesome stuff. Well worth a purchase.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:57:09 pm by Boothy »

Saintsteve

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »
very nice buddy  :happy2: Can't beat abit of TR shine in this weather  :happy2:

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:04:37 pm »
I used T1 today also, I agree, 1 coat gives a nice finish, let's see how long it lasts for, must add, it is a small bottle though compared to what other companies give price wise :surprised:

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »
I used T1 today also, I agree, 1 coat gives a nice finish, let's see how long it lasts for, must add, it is a small bottle though compared to what other companies give price wise :surprised:

it is quite a small bottle but a little went a long long way. It just kept going and going before I needed to apply any more product to the applicator.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 10:14:31 pm »
That's the stuff although it's been rebranded to that at some point? The bottle I had is EGP but it's about 10 year old  :laugh:
In that case, it may have well been branded twice!  :laugh: Gloss guard I think it was called, then Platinum Protection Extra Gloss or summat.

I wanted to try the T1 but I've just taken a punt on Gliptone's Tyre and Trim Jelly.