Make a donation

Author Topic: Turbo... VW Approved Warranty  (Read 1364 times)

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
  • Coz white IS the best colour!
Turbo... VW Approved Warranty
« on: March 26, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Just got VW to look at my car (TDi 170 GT Sport MY2008) as noticed a strange noise which was like a bearing in a turbo (slight grinding).
Anyway, technician picked up on a different noise (whistling as turbo spools up, which I thought was normal turbo sound!), which he confirmed was the turbo (even though he had just said it was very rare for these cars to blow turbos!) and said it needs replacing!

I bought the car 6 wks ago, with 12 months warranty. Will this cover a blown turbo? The lady I booked the car in with seemed to think so, but couldn't (or wouldn't) confirm!!! I am now worried they'll repair it, and hand me a tasty 3 figure sum bill!!
My BF says they have a cat in hells chance we will pay them, and as he did manage to get them to go 50/50 on two new rear tyres, due to flat spots, then I trust what he says!

After owning many a turbo car over the years, I know this is an expensive part to start replacing!! Can you put a girls mind at rest?

2013 Golf R

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Turbo... VW Approved Warranty
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:08:39 pm »
The dealer will contact VW to see if this is warranty item. If it is then VW will foot the bill. Otherwise they will advise you of the cost and you can get them to fix it or take it elseware.
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:12:07 pm »
I would say as you have only had it 6 weeks legally they are obliged to sort it out.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 03:13:11 pm »
Maybe a tad out with the figures IF the stealers say its not covered.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »
I would say as you have only had it 6 weeks legally they are obliged to sort it out.

This. If you bought it from a trader the onus is on them to prove the fault wasn't there when they sold the car. If they can't they pay the bill. Simples. Take it up with Citizens Advice Bureau if they try anything funny
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 05:29:02 pm »
If  the car came with vw then the turbo should be covered under it. Give someone from vw a call who knows what their on about and ask the question. If they say no, then straight to citizen advice i would be headed.

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
  • Coz white IS the best colour!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:50 am »
Thanks for the advice guys! I am going to give VW a call today to make sure it will be covered, and take it from there!

2013 Golf R