Make a donation

Author Topic: K04 vs k03 spool up  (Read 8816 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: K04 vs k03 spool up
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »

At a constant cruise @ 70 both engines will be pulling a vacuum.

Sorry what does pulling a vacuum mean?

....In broad terms, vacuum relates to turbo pressure. The vacuum causes the turbo actuator to close and hence the turbo to work and give extra power. That's the simple explanation.

I don't get that. To me you are either on or off boost. At 70mph both turbos will be on boost.

Vacuum indicates a lack of pressure but if you do VCDS logs you see greater than atmospheric pressure when on boost.  :rolleye:

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »

....In broad terms, vacuum relates to turbo pressure. The vacuum causes the turbo actuator to close and hence the turbo to work and give extra power. That's the simple explanation.

I don't get that. To me you are either on or off boost. At 70mph both turbos will be on boost.

Vacuum indicates a lack of pressure but if you do VCDS logs you see greater than atmospheric pressure when on boost.  :rolleye:

To clarify what I meant. When you're at low load on the motorway at a constant 70 (and low rates of accel) the engine is barely working (30-40 bhp maybe?); the throttle is only cracked open slightly, the inlet manifold is at less than atmospheric pressure and the turbo re-circ valve will be recirculating. There will be no boost as such.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:40:09 pm »
Pulling a vacuum can also mean this:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h158rpmrlego0tvm3prrepet9t&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 08:38:19 am »

Not exactly.

Vacuum.
Pulling a vacuum basically means that the engines pistons are pulling or 'requesting' a greater volume of air than the turbo charger is giving. Thus resulting in negative pressure (vacuum) in the intake manifold.

Boost.
When to turbo spools and produces pressure in the intake system that is greater than the vacuum which the engines pistons are trying to make.... Then we have boost.... And smiles :-)