Make a donation

Author Topic: Map or monza refurb?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Map or monza refurb?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »
Neither!

Not until you've enhanced the car's handling so it works with the extra power of a remap better. Also brakes!

Then remap before wheels refurb.

Stage 1 is ok on standard brakes isn't it Robin?  :confused:

....Not as inadequate as on Stage 2 but the standard brakes even on a standard GTI lack the pedal response feel of a good aftermarket brake kit. Also, under hard use it's easier to get brake fade on standard brakes. However, a lot depends on how you decide to drive and when you decide to drive enthusiastically that much harder. Stock brakes work but simply not as well.

The performance difference between standard and Stage 1 is greater than the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2.

Personally, I would rather have more powerful brakes and not need them, than need them and not have them! Just stopping only inches from the side of a truck on stock brakes taught me that! It took me quite a while to get away from the embarrassment of stopping too early with my AP brakes and then having to get back on the throttle again to reach the junction or roundabout! The problem I have now is just making sure that no-one is too close behind me when I want to leave braking late and hard. I have vented S3 brakes on the rear (thanks to DaveB) and so my braking is very well balanced.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »
i myself think the standerd brakes are piss poor. if you go for a remap then the brakes should be next on the list to upgrade if not done beforehand.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »
^^^^
I agree - I did most of my handling mods, including brakes, before remapping. In fact, JKM who stood to gain by selling me a remap, told me I was doing it the best way round although most folks don't because of getting the 'most-bang-for-buck' factor.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 06:30:13 am »
Ok, thanks Robin, I'll get looking into this for after next week's remap. I can't wait any longer! I prioritised cosmetic issues and a major service and inspection before the map, so I've shown some restraint! I'm also getting WALK which will help the handling and reduce wheelspin from launch.

I can't have the NQSBBK as I'm on Monza 2's, so I need to find a nice, lightweight set up that will stop better but won't cost a fortune. Any ideas?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.