Make a donation

Author Topic: Problems removing scratches with a DA  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Problems removing scratches with a DA
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:43:42 pm »
Cleaned the car today properly for the first time since getting her. Clay, Ironx, etc. etc.

Came to polishing the car and have loads of fine scratches all over the bootlid roof and bonnet. I tried the bootlid first, but after around an hour on the same spot, callled it a day. I had hardly made any impact on the scratches, except for rounding the edges off. I was using my DAS-6 Pro DA and tried both Menzerna Fast Gloss S500 and 3M Fast Cut III along with Elite orange pads.

Is the paint really that hard?

Any suggestions what I could use to better effect on these troublesome scratches? They are like swirl marks, but just a litte deeper, you can't see them unless you shine a light on them.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
Re: Problems removing scratches with a DA
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »
I think the usual rule is if you can catch your nail in the scratch then you gonna struggle to remove it unless your a pro or you wet sand it. It could be that the car has been repainted with the swirls under the clear coat which could explain it too. For me I just wasn't getting the results because I wasn't applying enough pressure. Put a mark on the backing of plate - you wanna be aiming for around one rev per second ish. Also I always go on speed 3 then 4 then a couple on 5 and then back down to 4 and 3. Worked for me.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 10:29:21 pm »
VAG paint is very hard. Some people have had to resort to wool pads. You can try multiple hits but always go with the least aggressive combo.

As above, some scratches cannot be taken out even if fingernail negative.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:19:26 pm »
Thanks guys. I have done a few cars before including my M3, which supposedly has stupid hard paint too, using the same products and they came out perfect. Will give Alex at Elite a call tomorrow and see what he suggests.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members