Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgrading UPVC door locks - advice please..?  (Read 10290 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Upgrading UPVC door locks - advice please..?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:39 am »
For night time security (i.e. while you are sleeping etc) the Sash jammers are worth their weight in gold.  :happy2:

When I lived in Bradford I woke up to find the old door barrel in pieces on the kitchen floor. However flipping 2 jammers down before going to bed stopped the scumbags gaining entry.   :smiley:

At a couple of quid each, they are well worth it.  :wink:

Do you have a picture of your sash jammers ?

There is a load of em on eBay  :happy2:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110751121889?redirect=mobile

They are pictured in the eBay ad fixed to a window. As you will see they are screwed to the sash as the windows open out. When using the jammers on a door screw them to the door frame.(I'm presuming that your door opens in?)   
Fix them to the lock side obviously, and about 8"-12" from the top and bottom of the door. (2jammers per door is great)

Also try and use the correct screws. The advert I linked comes with the right ones. :wink:

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 09:15:27 am »
Got ABS avocet locks, with sash levers aswell.

I can't for the life of me remember why, but the ABS avocet were the lock of choice with my local plod over the astral S.

The only difference with the ABS is you can register your keys so only you can order them, however the chances of someone being able to guess your key dimple combination on an Astral s is a as near as impossible as you can get.

would be interested on your finding on this QD  :happy2:

Cheers

Rich

Don't think that was it.  Both good locks, I will look back through my paperwork.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »
Just measured our front door lock and it's 100mm total length. 55mm out and 45mm in. The outside part sticks out about 5mm. So I presume I would order a 50/45mm to eliminate the lock protruding out on the front on the door?

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 08:17:58 am »
just started to measure the handles and cylinders. Hit a snag on the french doors.
On the first french door (the door you unlock first), you can access the cylinder retaining screw - so far so good. However, on the second door (the one with the center latch in), you cant access the retaining screw. The side of the door has the extra UPVC post screwed in and then the centre latch is screwed in to this post - not sure if this is making sense to people??

is it a case of unscrewing the centre latch from the UPVC and then unscrewing the UPVC post from the door?

To avoid doing this twice (once to measure the cyclinder and again to install the new cylinder), is it safe to assume that the sizes of the two cylinders on the french doors will be the same?

Thanks

Rich

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:42 am »
Rich... That's normal. I've got the same on our patio doors. There should be about 4/6 screws that hold the extra strip on. Once you have removed that then you can access the cylinder retaining screw.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 08:36:03 am »
Rich, rich is correct here. When it comes to screwing this T-bar back on make sure that you squeeze the bar up against the bubble gasket that goes around the door leaf.
Otherwise the bar could screw on on a bit of an angle or cause draughts or locking problems etc.

:happy2:

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:33 am »
I've got the ABS avocet locks and the Hoppe Pas24 security handles they're a good set of security!
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 08:55:32 am »
I've got the ABS avocet locks and the Hoppe Pas24 security handles they're a good set of security!

thanks guys.

another issue im concerned about is because im replacing the handle and cylinder for the ABS MK3 and Hoppe security handle combo, do i:

A) when measuring the cylinder, add a few mm on so that the ABS cylinder protrudes from the faceplate as advised here: http://toughlocks.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=92

or B) measure the cylinder so its as flush as possible to the faceplate (as advised by most people)?

im a bit confused!!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:34 pm »
Well, the Avocet ABS Locks arrived today and were soon fitted.

Cannot believe how ridiculously easy it is to do which in turn has probably improved my home security 5 fold  :happy2: :happy2:!! Totally recommend the lock upgrades if you haven't already done so.. For the sake of less than £40, get it done! It buys you total peace of mind!

Just waiting for delivery of the Hoppe Pas 24 handles and these will be fitted as soon as they arrive!

Rich

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 04:51:44 pm »
I was massively surprised by how easy it was too. It's literally a 5 minute job. Your mum could do it.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:13 pm »
Well worth thread revival considering the recent events suffered by some & the recent activity i have seen in the bradford area of disappearing GTI's  :fighting:

Of the Astral S and Avocet ABS locks, anyone had any issues over last 12 months?

undecided whether to dent the credit card for new handles aswell, but its safety first.

The barnsley lock and safe still seem well priced for both.

http://www.barnsleylockandsafe.co.uk/Product-213/Avocet-ABS-MK3-Keyed-Alike-Snap-Secure-Locks---only-£38.90-Including-UK-Delivery

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:54:49 am by Frodo-anni »
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 02:32:10 pm »
Good prompt, I used Barnsley lock and safe when I upgraded all mine earlier this year after the R went missing.  Not had any issues with mine.

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 09:35:18 pm »
After reading this I have fitted 2x sash jammer to all my downstairs windows and doors today.

Need to look into securing the sliding patio door now aswell.

Going to sash jammer all the upstairs ones aswell just for the sake of it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator