Make a donation

Author Topic: Iphone 3GS, Apple Guru Help Needed  (Read 775 times)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Iphone 3GS, Apple Guru Help Needed
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:26:22 pm »
Spurred on by another similar thread here tonight (with prompt and helful answer :happy2:) here's my problem:

I have owned and used an iPhone 3GS for the last year. I purchased it new (in packaging) on Gumtree, popped my Orange sim card in and away I went. I assumed it was unlocked but never tried other sim cards in it. I upgraded to the 4S in January so went about resetting my 3GS to sell on. I plugged it into iTunes and backed up my stuff, and performed a factory reset on the phone. Now I cannot get any sim card to activate in the phone and it cannot connect to iTunes. I've looked into it a bit and think my phone has somehow went onto an iPad base band (06.15?) whatever this means?  :stupid:

So, I'm looking for a way to get the phone working again. I'm just outside Edinburgh so my only local help (Apple kinda shop) is CanCom in Edinburgh Centre.

All help appreciated guys.

Cheers in advance  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
    • Email
Re: Iphone 3GS, Apple Guru Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:29:51 pm »
give the Apple helpline a call tomorrow they will talk you thro it over the phone, they did with me when i bricked my iphone 4 when i updated to OS 5, they sorted it in a bout 3 mins
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:43:31 pm »
Yeah, sounds an incredibly easy answer to a complicated (to me) problem I've been trying to sort for weeks.

Why, oh why, didn't I consult with the forum before now!? :notworthy:

Cheers Phil. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Btw did it cost you anything? :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:16 pm »
Yeah, sounds an incredibly easy answer to a complicated (to me) problem I've been trying to sort for weeks.

Why, oh why, didn't I consult with the forum before now!? :notworthy:

Cheers Phil. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Btw did it cost you anything? :happy2:

Just the cost of the call iirc is was an 0800 number so free or maybe an 0845, either way it wasnt a prem rate number, they are really helpful

hope you get it sorted mate  :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline jameelno1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
  • TDI Power
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:56 am »
Apple won't touch that phone as it been force to use the iPad baseband to unlock the fone to all networks. To get it to unlock now is to jailbreak it then go the Cydia and install ultrasn0w Then u will be on all networks again
golf mk5 1.9 tdi

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:26 am »
I have no idea what a baseband is so don't entirely know what has has happened to cause it to go onto this iPad baseband.  :stupid: The phone isn't unlocked, as far as I know, so shouldn't be on anything to do with an iPad. The problems all came about when I tried to perform a factory reset. The phone was running iOS 5.0.1 before it 'bricked'.

I don't really want to go down the Jailbreak route as I'd rather sell the phone as working but locked to Orange. My problem at the minute is that I can't get any sim card to work, or even be recognised by the phone.  :laugh: