Make a donation

Author Topic: Apple delivered an extra iPad - What would you do?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Apple delivered an extra iPad - What would you do?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »
It's theft by finding

Well I've taken the necessary steps to ascertain why it was delivered and notify them of it. Anything else I can do to distance myself from it?!

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »
That's all you need to do I think. If you take reasonable steps to locate or notify the owner and you are unsuccessful I think then you fine in keeping it too. Might even be buy 9 get one free worth checking first though :-)

Offline Gtiain

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 01:24:34 pm »
My dads nikon dslr needed repairing and was under warranty so he sent it off to be repaired. A few weeks later he got a brand new replacement one through the post. He Thought they can't repair it and thought nothing of it. A week later he got his old camera back and was in full working order and obviously had been repaired! He rang up Nikon and they couldn't care less and told him to keep them both! Sort of related, I know it doesn't help your situation  :signLOL:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 01:32:48 pm »
That's all you need to do I think. If you take reasonable steps to locate or notify the owner and you are unsuccessful I think then you fine in keeping it too. Might even be buy 9 get one free worth checking first though :-)

Cool :happy2:

In my experience they're very reasonable with things like this. For example last week we had a massive accident with one of our new iPads, the upshot being that the screen was shattered. We called Apple and they had a replacement shipped to us within 3 days. Mind you, with that is mind they might not be so accommodating!

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »
I have a similar situation with an Iphone4S. Went into vodafone and they told me I was due an upgrade so went along with it and walked out with a new phone. Phone had a fault so told them and they said they would send a new one out by post or I can collect from store.

Next day I collect one in the store, but keep getting texts to say my contract is due for renewal etc... Go into store to renew a different contract and walk out with another new iphone4S but upon inspection of the paperwork they have just renewed the same contract as they did just days before  :confused:

I explain the situation, they don't really care and insist its correct, they dont want the phone back. I still have the other iphone4S in its box, has been there for months now.

Offline rob172cup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 07:49:50 pm »
I have a similar situation with an Iphone4S. Went into vodafone and they told me I was due an upgrade so went along with it and walked out with a new phone. Phone had a fault so told them and they said they would send a new one out by post or I can collect from store.

Next day I collect one in the store, but keep getting texts to say my contract is due for renewal etc... Go into store to renew a different contract and walk out with another new iphone4S but upon inspection of the paperwork they have just renewed the same contract as they did just days before  :confused:

I explain the situation, they don't really care and insist its correct, they dont want the phone back. I still have the other iphone4S in its box, has been there for months now.

if you feel bad ill give you £100 to take it off your mind and ease your worries :grin:

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:50 pm »
Seriously, what would Jesus do?
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=f9hpvtmb477ui8hvj91629s9lg&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:37 pm »
I would keep it in it wrapper for a month, then if they don't claim it I would keep it and install it in the dashboard of my car  :signLOL:

Offline af1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 01:39:05 am »
Theft: section 1 of the theft act 1968

A person is guilty of theft if they dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive the other of it...

____
ask yourself
are you being dishonest - you know that you didn't order the iPad
does the property belong to another - yes it belongs to Apple
do you have the intention - mens rea (mental element of the offence)
do you intend to permanently deprive - right now you could have a defence.. 'yes i realised it wasn't mine i was about to send it back/double checking i didn't order it' the moment you decide to keep it (intent 'mens rea') the defence is lost

you decide :)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 05:38:13 am »

I'd give it back. Your peace of mind is worth more than an ipad.

When ever i've done the right thing like this, I've always felt brilliant afterwards.  :happy2:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 06:46:03 am »
Contact them, come clean.  Not worth the future angst

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 07:09:38 am »
Read all the thread guys ^^

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:40 am »
It's not like you've gone into the shop and stole it. Notify apple give them 14 days to collect if not you will be accepting their gift. There was something on a tv program and anything posted to you can be accepted as a gift
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 09:24:21 am »
Yeah, the only thing that got my mind ticking was that it was addressed to me and delivered to me in my name. It's not like I found it in the street.

However, as stated yesterday, I did contact them yesterday to inform them. They were very grateful and are going to let me know if they want it back.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 11:59:18 am »
:grin: