Make a donation

Author Topic: Opel Develops Intelligent LED Lighting Matrix  (Read 1148 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Opel Develops Intelligent LED Lighting Matrix
« on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:34 am »

Opel is now the first automaker to road-test a fully integrated matrix light in its prototype vehicles. Its new LED light matrix technology is designed to make night time driving safer by using high beams in standard driving mode.

While that may sound annoying to the other drivers on the road, the light matrix is designed to keep the beam glare free, automatically adapting it to the traffic situation. Essentially the LED light matrix can adjust more rapidly to the traffic situation than any other solution that relies on the driver, or is based on mechanical components.

By working in combination with the front camera, the matrix light will adjust the second the sensors from the camera detect light sources from oncoming or proceeding traffic. The area in front of the vehicle will be completely dimmed while the rest of the road will remain brightly illuminated. This help ensures that drivers in front of the light matrix aren’t pestered, but other non-illuminated obstacles remain well lit.

Each of the two matrix headlights consists of four light segments. Behind each segment, there are four different light sources that can be switched on or off individually, giving it 16 possible combinations per headlight. In total, there are 256 different light settings that will change and adjust without the driver noticing.

Opel plans to implement the LED lighting matrix in its vehicles over the next few years.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Opel Develops Intelligent LED Lighting Matrix
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:35:42 am »
Very interesting, wonder how much that will cost as a extra  :sad1: plus I bet there a pain in the ass to change a bust bulb!

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:00 pm »
Looks like an excellent solution to a long-existing problem, of course just like the early days of HIDs, they will be bloody expensive as an option. Definitely the future, combined with infra-red front mounted cameras and a heads-up display of the road ahead  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:11 pm »
Very interesting and will no doubt be the future.

LED is definitely the way forwards :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rntnevhvn6lho59mkvj1kfsp6f&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:50 pm »
Thats brilliant...  :notworthy:

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
great idea! it lights around the ongoing car without dazzle!
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:47 am »
Look awesome, I wonder if they will do an option to have them flashing like the F1 safety Car, be great fun blasting down the motorway.  :grin: :grin:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 05:37:54 pm »
very good indeed, how have VAG not managed to get there first :stupid:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP